Registering vehicle in France - CarteGris WW Provisoire

I have been using https://www.cartegrise.com/ to register my old BMW bike and after lots of toing and froing have finally received this message (translated)
"We confirm that we have successfully registered your file with CERT *, the State service empowered to deal with this type of process.

Be aware that the processing of files by state services can take several weeks depending on the procedures and processing centers. We will of course keep you informed as soon as there is feedback from CERT in your region."

They have the option to pay another 97E for a document ( ** WW Provisoire** - (lasts 4 months)) that will allow me to ride my bike whilst waiting for the proper papers.

I thought it was possible to get a similar paper for free ?

Has anyone else had experience of this ?

Your link doesn’t work…
My immediate reaction is the possible similarity with some of those pesky scam sites in the UK where you pay very dearly for things like driving licences and Passports…

sounds like a greedy company… if not actually a scam… who knows.

why did you use a company anyway ?? ah well… too late to backtrack perhaps…

If you’ve proof that all is in process… I would wait for the document to arrive as and when it will…

but that is only my opinion

(how old is the bike ??? and why didn’t you go through ordinary channels??)

1 Like

When I imported my Golf into France there was an issue so I registered it on WW plates. I did not use an agency but I believe the fee was about €60. I also had to buy a pair of plates with the WW number. The problem was resolved within a few days so I soon had the proper CG and number.

Fair comment David… although I do not know what WW refers to… :wink:

with regard to the Bike… I can’t see why the owner cannot use it as it is… so long as the process in ongoing…

What is your take on their situation.
EDIT… just seen WW and what it stands for … still can see no reason for this for the Bike…

When I registered my RR last year, it had to go on WW plates until the certificate is ready, cost was about €60 plus a set of plates used for about a month. A friend bought a brand new pick-up from Isuzu france last December, it was given, and is still on WW plates.

It’s the new normal…

@Mark

what was/is the hiccup with your RR… is it a bizarre model… I find it hard to believe that folk will have to buy 2 sets of plates and the extra cost involved… I believe YOU… I just fail to see why this should apply… and who has dictated such…

Hi Graham - sorry I’ve edited the link now. The system has changed recently, can only be done via the internet rather than a visit to the prefecture.

1 Like

The system has changed Stella, you can’t do it at the prefecture anymore and to register on the ANTS site you have to have a personal space on France Connect which proved impossible at the time (one of the methods was to visit the post office which was closesd due to the virus).

No, nothing bizarre (except rhd uk), it’s just the way it is. Must admit I was a little surprised though. My friends pick up truck is French, bought from a french main dealer, and its been over 6 months, but the cov19 delayed things, apparently.

a French Dealer selling a vehicle … would explain the WW plates, since they are for Dealers… in the main

Karen…I’m not talking about the Prefecture… that’s been out of the picture for a long time now…

Not knowing your situation… re the bike…
nor what made you use the company you did…

I will leave you to make your own decision as to waiting for the docs to arrive in the normal way…
or to pay the company some extra… for possible maximum 4 months usage… :roll_eyes:

If you have the time and the interest… you could chat with your local gendarme and ask if you will be allowed to use the bike in the meantime… (if you have the proof that the process is in hand).

( don’t forget to have at least basic insurance even if the bike is not being used…)

best of luck

1 Like

I think you are wrong. Dealers use W plates, individuals who need temporary registration can apply for WW plates, they are not the same thing.

I don’t mind being wrong… :smile: :smile:

I do object to paying over the odds…

https://www.carte-grise.org/mode_emploi_carte_grise_ww_particulier.php

There could be any number of reasons that an ‘old’ BMW motorbike is difficult to register. It might be that it is pre CoC and needs an Attestation from BMW France, it may be eligible for a CoC but be more than 106 BHP but lacking ABS which means that a CG cannot be issued. The WW system offers a temporary registration that allows a vehicle to be registered and used while the problems are ironed out. The rules about French residents using foreign registered vehicles and about the need to register imported vehicles within a given time frame are black and white. If the bike does not comply with those rules it cannot be used until it is registered in a France.

As I say… we do not have the details of the bike… or its owner.

People can ( and do) drive all sorts of vehicles with foreign registrations… they have plenty of time to apply for a change… if such is needed :relaxed: :relaxed:

There’s no need to pay over the odds but as Mark has confirmed there is a cost for the WW registration and plates to match. I was lucky, I registered my Golf in the days when it was over the counter at the prefecture and when the problem with the original registration document flagged up I was informed about the WW system. I’m not sure how smoothly that would have worked through ANTS without that personal contact. Paying a fee to an agency to get the job done might actually be a good idea in this case.

The plenty of time to initiate the registration process is a month.

https://immatriculation.ants.gouv.fr/Vos-demarches/Immatriculer-un-vehicule-d-occasion-en-provenance-de-l-etranger

One makes a choice.

I do recall reading that the govt was annoyed that folk were being charged by companies to do stuff (like this) which they should be able to do for free…

which is why so many libraries, Mairies etc … provide computers (and assistance) to go through the steps necessary for the government stuff which has to be done online. :slight_smile:

All I’m saying is that if there is a problem with the registration that means that a temporary WW registration is desirable paying a fee to a third party might well speed up the system as corresponding with ANTS can be a time consuming business.