Renewing a UK passport - Fantastic Service!

Day 1 - Friday 27th October. Completed on line renewal application. (Took own photo). Given reference no for on line application. Posted old passport to the passport office using reference no.

Day 2 - Saturday 28th October. Received reminder to send old passport if not already done.

Day 3 - Sunday 29th October . Nothing

Day 4 - Monday 30th October. Nothing

Day 5 - Tuesday 31st October. Email confirming old passport had been received

Day 6 - Wednesday 1st November.
AM - email confirming application had been approved
PM - email stating new passport had been printed

Day 7 - Thursday 2nd November - Nothing

Day 8 - Friday 3rd November
AM email reminder to sign passport when receiived
AM test from Royal Mail saying delivery today
PM new and old passports delivered

All done in 7 days, I rate that as incredibly good service and very easy to apply on line.

Although I had a year left on passport, I was worried about the need to have 3 months after a 6 month visa expires so just did it. Also paid the £10 extra for a 50 page passport to allow for all the french stamping.

5 Likes

Yes its pretty quick for us living out of the UK full time too!

1 Like

If you want, you can update the unofficial tracker website!

Also, had you renewed in January, you would have saved approx 8% fee increase - probably allayed by the almost extra year on your brand new shiny BLACK (ok it’s supposed to be blue but it’s crap) passport.

Yes I think its black rather than navy blue as well but if you have to flash it about, it make you look exotic when all the others are dark red.

Friends new passports have a very rigid plastic page.

Which can be a challenge when trying to scan or photograph a copy for online identity checks - the plastic plus the holograms all reflect too much. :roll_eyes:

About four years ago by pure coincidence , I applied for both the French and GB passports. Strangely both passports took about ten days to be renewed, Great service from both offices.

Even the current plasticised page does that, deffo dont use flash. I was able to use the DFDS Ai picture recognition passenger information link on their app to supply info.

1 Like

Laminated polycarbonate, in fact. It’s more high-tech than one might think. Very clever, these French passport printing companies…

Don’t rub it in, :joy: taking back control :joy: turning our backs on our own passport services. :disappointed_relieved:

A bit more info and doesnt suggest the French were inovating.

Hannah Fry did a programme on His Majesty’s BBC this week, all about how passports are made. It was fascinating.

Hmm, wonder if its on iplayer.

It is, though I’m perhaps overselling it. It was interesting rather than fascinating.

1 Like

I do watch random stuff sometimes. :upside_down_face:

Did mine a couple of months ago. Couldn’t fault the ease and speed of using HMPO’s overseas service.

La Posta took one business day to get my old passport to the U.K.

Royal Mail took 4 weeks to get my old passport from one part of England to HMPO, the absolute oxygen thieves.

DHL took 3 business days to get my new passport to me (with the old one arriving one day later).

Wrote to the King and asked if he could remove the Royal patronage as they are a private company and not a very good one at that, thereby letting down the Crown.

2 Likes

Just saying that I spent ages getting prepared for having my photo taken… and now OH realizes he’s married to an old crone… :wink: :wink:

I’m stuck with that awful photo for another 10 years. :rofl:

1 Like

Interesting, I was looking into doing the express service in London (I was travelling a lot and used up passports in three or four years, even having two). But one can’t do it any more and have to be in the UK when applying online. At least that’s how I understood it. Did you apply from UK or France?

No, you don’t. I had to renew about a year ago & applied on line, from France, as did my wife the previous year.

1 Like

Thanks!!