Renting a House in France before the end of the transition period

Thanks Graham :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was only thinking of your poorly back :wink:
How is it today btw?

Neck rather than back, probably a prolapsed disc at C7.

Crap but thank’s for asking :slight_smile:

1 Like

Many thanks for all your replies. No excuse for starting another french renovation project then.!

2 Likes

Hello,
First of all, I’d just like to say that we have found this website a brilliant resource to answer a lot of the questions that have been in our minds, so thank you.

I have not been able to find an answer to a question that has been bothering me and I was hoping that someone here would be able to help.

Context: My wife and I are moving to France in November. We have rental accommodation with an agreement for 12 months. We will have have at least one of the utilities in our name and as far as the requirements for meeting the criteria for the CDS (French bank a/c, healthcare, proof of income, etc.,) I believe we have addressed.
Question: Once we move into our rental accommodation, do we have to inform anyone else that we are resident in France - especially locally e.g. le maire or other local “council” type organisations or do we just apply for the CDS through the government website after 3 months?
If anyone can provide some clarity, that would be great.

Regards
Yogesh

No, nobody has to know. However you might find this thread useful as several suggestions about what documents could be helpful to collect.

make sure your names are clearly marked on the letterbox… :slight_smile:

I think this revolves around how deeply you want to be involved in the country. Recently we had our address changed and that DID involve in notifying a lot of people - necessary and optional. You almost certainly will be required to notify the services water, electricity, bank if you want a bank card, doctor if you need medical attention, the Maire, I believe has a responsibility for the addresses of residents (except holiday ones? Unless you wish to live in a cash only society?
Optional ones will be amazon and any others you use online for stuff to be delivered as not many use the French postal service.
Best to think through all those you might need for anything wherever they are based and as Stella noted you must have your name on the letter box or they could all have a reason not to deliver!

1 Like

I suggest making your presence known to the Mairie. Our town has a welcoming reception (even during these strange times!) for new residents. It’s a lovely opportunity to a) get to know who’s who within the council, and 2) share a glass of wine with your new neighbours and the mayor.

You never know when it could well come in handy one day to have at least already met your mayor.

1 Like

There is a difference between “must tell” - which is nobody - and could be a good idea to tell for your daily life. Some things have to be done in order as can’t register a médecin traitant until you get into the health system. And other things like amazon would be totally meaningless for authorities as provide no real proof.

I have a very strong intuition that the former Maire in our commune declined to meet new residents for the friendly verre d’amitié for the simple reason that some residents were under the illusion that they thereafter “had the Maire’s ear” (in a nudge-nudge way), and he was sick and tired of it of it after 30 years in office.

He was a very self-effacing man but a hugely successful and enterprising public servant. In my very rare formal dealings with him he was a model of attentiveness and courtesy, and is much missed since his recent retirement.

1 Like

Yes, that is an interesting thread. Thanks

Stella - that’s a great suggestion about the letterbox - wouldn’t have thought about it
Norman - our aim is to get involved in the country and embrace it
Gareth - yep we definitely will be trying to visit our Mairie

Thanks all for sharing your experiences.
Yogesh

1 Like

I read on the Gov website that we have until next June to apply!
Me and hubby can’t make the application before December so I looked it up!
Where in France are you?

Hi Lesley… applying before next year’s deadline is fine… so long as the necessary residency proof/papertrail starts in France before 31st December 2020…

Wouldn’t want folk to think they can let the important steps wait until next year… :wink:

It definitely states that you do not have to apply before the 31st December, by doing so if it more likely that you will be able to get into the health system easier. We are actually going down the route that Judy my hubby will apply and then I can get automatic residency based on hi.

I have agreed with you… everyone can wait until next year… to apply… if they wish to.

but it might be an awful mistake for folk to think they can wait until next year to start getting their affairs in order… This is the point I am trying to make :hugs:

4 Likes

Exactly, Stella, people must be resident here before the end of this year to qualify :wink:

1 Like

Seconded. And to re-emphasis that you MUST be resident by 31st December this year and MUST have applied for your carte de séjour by 30th June 2021.

So I hope what you wrote does ‘t mean you think you can apply next July.

I agree, it’s going to be a bit of a stampede to get the residency done for sure.
We are second home owners, but we have to pay habitation & Fronceire because our house is furnished. We are trying to find out if that will give us any enhancement of getting residency without going through proof of financial status and paying for private medical cover.