Rishi Sunak

Doesn’t bode well…

2 Likes

3 Likes

For those that like historical detail, there’s a fascinating insider’s account of one aspect of the erosion of standards in UK public life here…

It is difficult to imagine the administrations of Tony Blair, David Cameron, Boris Johnson and Liz Truss without the preparatory demolition of the foundations that Thatcher carried out. Never again would our governments allow us the dignity of knowing the facts…

4 Likes

He does that bizarre stressing some words and not others without the choices of which words he stresses making any real sense. Like on the trains: “We will be serving breakfast in coach A … We will shortly be arriving into Birmingham New Street …”

1 Like

But his real problem is that he shows no evidence of being a skilful politician. He will get a few weeks of peace, but then the in-fighting will continue and I can’t see he’s strong or wily enough to put a stop to it.

1 Like

This is a marvellously evocative but also, I feel, true take on how we come to be a populace happy to be fed poisonous thoughts that we then think are our own. I think we could also learn much from what the writer says about being so careful in what is written for print, that it be not only accurate but clear and with a mind for posterity. A jumbo jet could fly between the truth and ‘the facts’ we read in public media today.

Love the MOD booklet - “Spies are with us all the time. They are interested in everything, defence secrets, scientific secrets, political decisions, economic facts; even people’s characters – in order to recruit yet more spies. This booklet tells you about the great hostile spy machine that tries to suborn our citizens and turn them into traitors.”

Not much has changed in the shadow world, clearly.

1 Like

Happening in France too…

I think we will be in the same place we were with Truss before too long…
It is reported that some elements of the membership are reacting badly that they did not get to vote in this “election” and are cancelling their membership :roll_eyes:

1 Like

No big loss as far as I can see. :face_with_monocle:

They are all appalling, Sunak may perhaps be marginally less appalling simply because he is rich enough already not to be venal. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t have other weaknesses, obviously.

2 Likes

From today’s The New Yorker

Not actually intended to reflect the UK cabinet but if the head fits!…

1 Like

Interesting to note re his first speech that his wife and two kids were not outside to join him as he went inside No. 10? PMQ tomorrow should be interesting to watch!

Absolutely don’t blame his wife for staying away. She knows it’s a poisoned chalice and she doesn’t need it splashed on her or the little ones.

1 Like

Why should they be? He is PM not them. Good for him not doing a Gummer.

4 Likes

Hilarious! In most cases, venality is directly proportional to wealth.

2 Likes

Yes, but he is so rich that I think the appetite for gain would be subordinate to fears about reputation.

1 Like

Suspect that’s the Johnson or Mordant, but not someone of Indian descent faction.

One of the founders of the C18th English school of aesthetics was the Earl of Shaftesbury. In Characteristicks of Men, Manners, Opinions, Times (1711) he argued for government by oligarchs (like himself!) as that sector of society was not needy: they could not be bribed or swayed, and could thus be describe as ‘disinterested’. :wink:

This incidentally, is also the origin of the concept of ‘aesthetic disinterest’ that Kant used to separate beauty from desire and buggeed up aesthetic discourse on the subject for over a century.

Was he the one with the clever silver spigot in his gall bladder?

If he had such a device fitted I’m unaware of it!

However, silver seems a strange metal to have used as it oxidises so quicly, a gold tap would surely have worked better (maybe the latter was too blingy ).