Rishi Sunak

Isn’t this his portrait?

Jacob Rees-Mogg out of the cabinet, now there is news to brighten up my week :yum::sunglasses:

8 Likes

is that where the expression “shafted” comes from :thinking:

1 Like

‘Shaftesbury’ -

‘Shafted’ and ‘buried’ perhaps…

He had a massive gall bladder and liver problem and was operated on (can you imagine in 16something) and had the spigot fitted to let off repulsive matter of various sorts, or so I remember from history at my prep school, we were fascinated, they had a lovely portrait of him but very annoyingly it was pre-spigot.

1 Like

Yikes! What, if any did they use for anaesthetic then? Perhaps a sharp blow to the head

This is taking a frightening tangent under the Topic heading!

1 Like

Can a man so rich, comfortable feel or understand the pain of being cold, hungry and poor…I think not.

2 Likes

He doesn’t need to have experienced the pain himself in order to empathise.

A male OBGyn can still be a very compassionate doctor despite not ever having had a baby pulled out of his whatsit.

Empathy - the ability to sense other people’s emotions, coupled with the ability to imagine what someone else might be thinking or feeling .

2 Likes

and don’t forget that this is the man who boasted about taking billions intended for poorer communities and giving it instead to rich Tory voting areas…
empathy my arse…

1 Like

Indeed, though it allows him to stir things up from the back benches so might be a mixed blessing.

True. This is the crux. He should be criticised for Tory practices, not simply because he is a rich man. Frankly, many Tories are. It is important to keep the objection on target

2 Likes

Reminds me of this…

Rent a flat above a shop
Cut your hair and get a job
Smoke some fags and play some pool
Pretend you never went to school
But still you’ll never get it right
'Cause when you’re laid in bed at night
Watching roaches climb the wall
If you called your dad he could stop it all, yeah

4 Likes

Empathy has escaped the Tory party and is leaving the world on the last flight out.

Empathy has probably been put on a flight and sent to Rwanda :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

well… seeing the new cabinet appointments - same shit different day basically.
Richie Rishi is not entirely the master of his own destiny it seems… do you see the hand of the ERG on the tiller of the good ship lolliflop?
How much longer will this shitshow last before they totally implode and a GE is at last called?

3 Likes

Sadly, as much as I hoped otherwise, looks like you are right. Reappointing Braverman alone is a defeat for justice. And as for Gove, Raab an Coffey. Seriously?! I want to say ERG is keeping the same game in play but Mogg is integral to that, so where will he actually be?

All you and the others have been saying may be true. I still am concerned about condemning someone born wealthy as impossible to feel for the disadvantaged (Tony Benn), but so too, everyone must be judged by their actions, and this even now looks very grim.
:disappointed_relieved:. Sorry for Britain

2 Likes

on the back benches and prominent in the '22 causing as much damage as he can to this administration…

It looks more and more to me (conspiracist am I) that some unseen hand is working to destroy both our democracy and social structure.

Either that or I have to believe it is engineered cultural suicide.

Now I’m panicking Captain Mannering!

2 Likes

We have chosen to escape to France…good move.

1 Like

You may be right Porridge but he survived Goldmans and apparently did well there. In that place, that takes some doing.