Rishi Sunak

I was planning to leave this conversation but have considered that it is here for all to read and feel my character may be publicly impugned, so a reply is needed.

I have seen on other topics how these provocative threads can go.

My text was buckshot aimed towards Britain further to @Porridge’s comment, “a constitutional objection, based on the idea that a British citizen had no need to prove the fact.”

Whether or not that in itself appears constitutionally arrogant may be subjective. What I was trying to spotlight was that ill defined social pride may be getting in the way of progress in Britain.

My critique of Britain was further to the “constitutional objection” and was not specific to Porridge. Exactly where did I call any member prejudiced? This interpretation is not mine. The accusation is alarming, personal and I think contravenes SF guidance:

“remember to criticize ideas, not people . Please avoid:

• Name-calling.
  • Ad hominem attacks.
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content.
  • Knee-jerk contradiction.

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.”

Since the subject of race relations has arisen, it may be opportune to address it here. Race and British attitudes regarding it are part of an ongoing debate and a living reality for many in Britain and beyond.

For good reason the active prejudice in Britain’s judiciary was recognised and condemned by the European Court of Human Rights in 2020.

https://www.ohchr.org/en/press-releases/2021/04/united-kingdom-un-experts-condemn-reprehensible-racism-report

Unfortunately, the situation has not changed or improved. Any country’s governing bodies set an example for its citizens’ behaviour.

No one here has accused anyone personally of racism. Racism in Britain on the other hand, not non-existent.

When we shy away from talking about racism by reacting defensively or labelling amendments derogatively as ‘woke’, we feed into and perpetuate its continuance in society.

Oh dear, if further proof were needed that I how completely wrong wrong I was about empathy and the wealthy:

I am still not sure if there is a difference between having been born into wealth or having acquired it. Is there a fundamental difference in some people, that no matter how comfortably off they are themselves, are still sensitive to the suffering of others? How can we explain that some people (few!) will be extraordinarily generous?

Perhaps it’s something the brain does that we do not yet understand. Seems also that near fatal experiences may sometimes cause a personality shift. I wonder if that is where the expression “Knock some sense into them” comes from.

Gunpowder plot time?

1 Like

I spent much of my working life developing social enterprise (using business models and methods but for common benefits, rather than private gain). Most of the people I worked with were young, but one very noticeable phenomenon was that older people that moved from conventional business to social enterprise had often come through some kind of personal trauma that had made them reassess life. I remember one in particular, that had been a senior tax accountant in a City firm, who came to work with severely disabled people in a ground-breaking social enterprise - for about a tenth of his former salary. His wife had recently died of cancer. Well, after that, who would want to spend their life helping rich people avoid tax?

2 Likes

Heartbreaking letter in today’s Guardian:

As I type this, my hands are frozen from having no heating in the house… I have done everything I can to reduce my heating and food costs, but it is still ever so expensive for us. We are existing, not living… I have been a staunch Tory voter all my life, but cannot support a party that really does not think of the people, but only to balance the books at the moment. I cry myself to sleep each evening, while they are warm and fed. The MPs will not think of me, but I think of them.
Helena Parker
Binfield, Berkshire

The question begged of course is why on earth she voted Tory. Yes, yes - I know it was because she swallowed the lies again and again, year after year. But why couldn’t she look out of the window, see the real world, see the UK’s economic decline? Look at some simple graphs of the sterling exchange rate, wages, productivity, GDP - pretty much any economic measure over pretty much her whole lifetime - and see that they always got worse under the Tories and better under Labour?

Why did it take the cold to bite her own hand before she could see the real world ?

3 Likes

Sad. All the more because I fear this lady will not be the only one suffering in UK this winter.

1 Like

Indeed - and if they call an ambulance it might not come for hours, if they need a doctor or a dentist, or a carer, they may have to wait days or weeks…

1 Like

As Sunak’s popularity declines further - as now does Starmer’s - Reform UK’s is building :roll_eyes:
Frying pans - Fire :thinking:
Do these people not realise that this is the Brexit Party reborn? The current cause of the majority of their current woes :disguised_face:

2 Likes

Not only UK this winter -

2 Likes

Yes, a lot of people further East have much harsher winters than us.

How on earth did this level of dependence on Russia arise? I remember I was shocked when I heard there was a pipeline all the way from Russia.
But did any of us have any idea about the level of dependence having grown?

Or are we all being fooled and this is not the issue at all, but a massive antidemocratic grab by the few that is going on by creating a fake energy crisis (due strange EU/UK pricing model) as an excuse?

Goodness.

I believe Putin’s actions have been part of a mistaken policy of appeasement and attempt of inclusion of Russia into the western club. There has long been the ‘hope’ that as countries such as Russia and China join western capitalism, democracy and political freedoms would follow. This is now graphically being proven if not completely wrong, then overly optimistic and premature.

Unfortunately, the energy crisis is real. The monopolies of energy supply, gas from Russia and oil from the middle east, are well understood to be key weak points, to put it mildly, and alternatives are being put in place on an accelerated timeline for diversification. There were warnings. Poland for one advised the danger of a Russian monopoly as Germany began building Nordstream 2. Warnings by the US are frequently seen as bullying. Whether or not that was true, the warnings were ignored or overruled, possibly more due to economics than a conspiracy.

The same warning regarding technology must also be taken more seriously. The west, to put it kindly, has been naive or arrogant in its assumptions regarding freedoms and its way of life. Some have an entirely different vision.

Both Sunak and Starmer have lost it in Scotland, with the help of the English Supreme Court, which seems to have pulled off a similar feat to the American - converting debate about the choice into one about whose right it is to choose.

1 Like

Indeed and for someone whose parents came from a country that celebrates, quite rightly, its final right to choose independence for itself, it is a bit rich to oppose someone else’s similar right. I do wonder if his parents agree with him.

The same person, Sunak, also felt it was right to take advantage of close ties in the United States, a country which did not even have a referendum (and would in all probability have been refused) but had a revolution instead.

1 Like
1 Like

The result of a clever man promoted to an office which requires wisdom and cunning?

Stiglitz sensible as ever. This article is predictably more focused on America, but his prescriptions (within the concepetual framework of conventional, rather than green economics) expose the fact that the Tories - if we believe their stated aims - are still going in precisely the wrong direction…

Well-directed fiscal policies and other, more finely tuned measures have a better chance of taming today’s inflation than do blunt, potentially counterproductive monetary policies…
Likewise, the appropriate response to increased prices resulting from undue market power is better antitrust enforcement, and the way to respond to poor households’ higher rents is to encourage investment in new housing, whereas higher interest rates do the opposite. If there was a labour shortage (the standard sign of which is increased real wages – the opposite of what we are currently seeing), the response should involve increased provision of childcare, pro-immigration policies, and measures to boost wages and improve working conditions.

ie. the Tories should be using taxes, not interest rates, to reduce inflation and release housing stock, improve wages and working conditions, and encourage immigration (by far the best way of doing which - with the added benefit of easing the path back from investment-killing brexit - would be to go back to free movement).

They won’t do it, of course - but perhaps the really sad fact is that Labour won’t either.
The SNP, however, probably would…

same shit, different day

complete absence of judgement when appointing this awful cretin to another top table post… as with Braverman, Raab and the bleeding rest of them…

1 Like
1 Like

Absolutely nothing has changed, so sad.

BBC: Are you in business?, Sunak asks homeless man.