Roaming costs are back!

He should work for liar Johnson. There are loads of things that companies have “no intention” of doing, until they do.

After a lifetime in Corporates, I know that some bean counter will take it to the CEO who won’t be able to resist bolstering the next quarters numbers. Telcos are scrabbling for profits, IMO eventually there will be a tacit (albeit notionally illegal) agreement amongst them to reintroduce roaming, they’ll just call it something else.

The way I’ve surmounted that Stella is with a dual SIM phone. Means I can’t have an iPhone (1 physical SIM and 1 virtual one that nobody supports yet) but my latest dual SIM (three years old) OnePlus has performed very well . I even talks to my Tiguan with Android Auto.

My choice of phone as well… nice piece of kit :wink:

Very good. My daughter (an Apple devotee) recommended it because she knew I needed a dual SIM. It’s excellent and the latest one seems to be stunning but I couldn’t really justify upgrading.

the finger print reader is excellent and voted amongst (if not) the best on the market.

Glad you’ve solved your problem.

I have no wish for more technology… in fact… I’d prefer a bonfire and smoke signals… :rofl: :rofl:

I’m perhaps getting tetchy… but I reckon if folk want help… obviously, I’ll help, but re phones…first thing I’ll do is point them straight at getting a French sim… :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

My phone is a dual sim, as I intended to get a french sim but never got round to it. We have a french phone, but just one between us as we use our English phones to talk/text each other.

So now’s the moment. But since I am a tech numpty…will any sim work in my phone (a samsung) or do I need to ferret about to find something specific? And will both sims use the same WhatsApp app? Or will I need to install dual apps too?

Me too Stella, but aren’t bonfires illegal in France now? My neighbour just across our little side valley is always trying to send someone signals though. :laughing:

1 Like

If your phone is unlocked and not tied to any operator then any sim will work.
Once you put your other sim in you specify which sim you want to use as default for phone calls/texts and which one for data, then when you make a call or text you will be asked which sim you want to use for that text or call.

Around here, legislation is strict.

Bonfires are allowed at the moment, provided permission is granted in advance. there is a special form to complete.

3 days advance warning of proposed burning date … and there are strict hours during which the bonfire can be alight…

With Roaming costs back - Brexit really is the gift that is going to keep on giving for many years to come in ways we have yet to learn/guess.

I shocked some friends with the news that as a 3rd country they will not be able to bring meat and dairy and probably other product with them when they visit us. Also they must now carefully plan their visits as 90 days in 180 is all the schegen countries so if they go to Spain in the spring, to us in summer their usual autumn trip may be at risk so they may need to go elsewhere maybe Turkey or Croatia.

Wasn’t it ever thus though, John? I remember when I was driving for a local haulier and returning from a journey to England that the customs at Calais pointed out that the pork pies and other ‘local’ delicacies in my personal fridge in the cab were illegal. He allowed them to remain but warned me not to bring them again. This was nearly 20 years ago.

Interesting David, I belived as an EU partner goods and other things can move freely between states? I dont know of anyone being stopped bring french food items back from their holidays. Maybe just an overzealous official?

I think you may find that nearly twenty years ago the Foot and Mouth outbreak lead to people from the UK being stopped from bringing food into Europe they would normally have been allowed to

4 Likes

Yes, that occurred to me as I wrote the above, but the laxity at Calais (as proved by the not so over-zealous official, John :wink:) was ably demonstrated at the time as I had to drive my wagon through an antiseptic wheel-wash which was almost empty of liquid leaving a few tired strands of hay strewn about. I watched in the mirrors as every one of my 12 wheels hardly got damp, never mind wet, and certainly not sanitised. :roll_eyes: :laughing:

so… it was all your fault… when F&M hit the continent… :wink: :wink:

I remember being told I had to eat my sandwich before I got in the eurostar as wouldn’t be allowed to take it with me!

1 Like

Yes, mea culpa, what I should have done is stopped in the wash, got out while donning all my protective clothing including white wellies gloves and goggles, before filling a bucket full of anti-septic liquid, grabbing an approved brush and scrubbed avery visible bit of 12 tyres then stripped all the protective stuff off, got back in the cab, rolled forward one metre, then out again, donned all th…etc.

Very remiss of me, if only we had all done that, the continent would have been safe and Glorious Albion would have been better prepared 20 years later for the queues stretching back through Kent to London and beyond.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

What a heavy burden of guilt I still bear to this very day. :pensive:

I’m glad you have admitted responsibility… :wink: