Roe v Wade

Well said Cat.
I’ve had an abortion as well. I was a teenager and in no position/fit state to raise a child. It was the best thing I ever did too although it was also one of the worst experiences of my life.
No man is in a position to understand or criticise women who have to make these choices. Shame on any man who thinks they can dictate what women do with their own bodies.
Izzy x

18 Likes

That’s why I didn’t click the thread, I just knew what I’d see and just couldn’t be doing with that. Having sneaked a peek finally I wasn’t disappointed, or rather I was, obviously. :roll_eyes: Thread muted.

3 Likes

When living in Ireland I travelled back to London on two occasions with women who needed terminations, and I was very glad I could help.

For many of you here the whole debate about a woman’s right to choose is one settled long ago, but Ireland only legalised abortion in 2018, after a bitter referendum battle. A lot of money and effort was poured into Ireland by the type of people who are celebrating in the US today. I spent a significant amount of time in the run up to the referendum arguing in favour of choice. I have heard all the lies, misinformation and threats from the despicable anti choice bullies, so this is still pretty raw for me.

In the end the people of Ireland proved how their Society has transformed from the early eighties when even contraception was banned to the secular, inclusive and compassionate one it is today.

However, the lunatics in the Irish Catholic Church hierarchy and the associated and even more fanatical lay organisations (read Opus Dei et al) have not gone away. They will keep chipping away, just as the US supreme court ruling displayed yesterday. Therefore I laud the proposal to include a woman’s right to choose in the French constitution.

5 Likes

I could go with that, if there were equal concern for the right to a living of the born thousands who will result.

4 Likes

Freudian slip? “President Trump, on behalf of all the Maga patriots in America, I want to thank you for the historic victory for white life in the supreme court yesterday.” - Illinois Republican Mary Miller. She later said it was a mistake - but the Republican audience cheered it.

1 Like

Whilst the decision was ultimately made by men because of the SC makeup it has the support of millions of women in the US which I find baffling even allowing for the religious angle.

1 Like

Th problem is that in the states it is other women who are making their own sisters feel shit.
This is a very interesting explanation of how the Christian Right came to use abortion as their rallying cry.

//www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/25/roe-v-wade-abortion-christian-right-america?utm_term=62b6f1babac36ed4dc2c4a24a90024e4&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUS&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTUS_email

2 Likes

Really interesting article, and unnerving to see the manipulation of power within a so called democracy. As already mentioned….Gilead springs to mind, increasing control by stealth.

1 Like

First, even the most reliable contraceptives are only 99% reliable. Secondly, many menopausal women get pregnant after they thought they had stopped being fertile.
Birth control is meant to be free for low income women but that doesn’t always work. NPR Cookie Consent and Choices
Oh, and stealthing.

And I’ll add my name to the list of women who have had abortions, since women on here have already had the courage to do so I’d be ashamed if I didn’t. Still very glad that I did.

12 Likes

Democracies rarely deliver what people actually want. I linked in another thread recently research indicating that what democratic governments enact into law is much more likely to reflect corporate lobbying than public opinion. In this case, most Americans are in favour of women’s right to choose - even religious Americans overall.

1 Like

The most interesting stat is how many don’t actually know what this decision means.

Alas just being a woman doesn’t guarantee you aren’t a half-witted fundamentalist bigot. Or it could be Stockholm syndrome but I think being a HFB is more likely.

2 Likes

Likewise.

5 Likes

HFB means?

Read the rest of her post. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This isn’t over by a long way. For example pursuing the Supreme Court candidates that lied (especially that little shit Kavanaugh) about their intentions. Lying is the default mode now in the US and UK.

2 Likes

Kavanaugh is the pits, revolting lying groper, as for Ofjesse or Amy Coney Barrett as she is known to non Gileadites words fail me.

2 Likes

A horrible little shit.

2 Likes

Same. x

3 Likes

That is exactly what I made of this decision. However, there will be many more Black and Latino babies born as a result of this who will, presumably, grow up to vote, unless the MAGA try and take away their voting rights by putting them in jail on ridiculous charges and then denying them a vote.
The Christian Right ay they will never give up, well they might well be outnumbered by all those babies they are so keen to be born!

3 Likes