Royal Wedding - It's all over and everyone had a fabulous time

I begin to wonder who, if anyone, would want to be elected Head of State… if they had to hand over their income to the Government… oh, but, yes… they could have some of it back…:wink:

They don’t hand over “their” income!!! The income from the Crown Estates does not belong to the monarch. https://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/our-business/faqs/

1 Like

Hi Poppy… You’ve obviously missed all the discussions on this previously.

Each new Monarch is asked if they agree to hand over the Crown Estates’ Income to the Government in return for a percentage. It is a formal request… and it is possible that a future Monarch might not say yes… :thinking:

You don’t believe that Stella :rofl:

Why not?? :thinking: It is possible… :relaxed:

Sorry Stella but the Crown Estate can never be taken back by the Royal Family unless Parliament agrees which they never will. The current arrangement works and if anything is beneficial to Liz and co whilst property values are high. This bit of the royal finances is transparent but thereafter things get somewhat fuzzy as although the Queen pays income tax on her private wealth I believe the amount is not made public and no one really knows how much she’s worth. Should the UK ever become a republic the disentanglement of the royals assets etc would keep an army of accountants and lawyers busy for years.

1 Like

We will agree to differ… and keep smiling… :relaxed:

perhaps I should throw “Joan of Arc” into the mix … that is a hot topic of conversation around here…

This is from the Crown Estate’s own website -

https://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/our-business/faqs/#whoownsthecrownestate

The first question says it all.

I do understand how the Crown Estates and the Sovereign Grant Act of 2011 works and feel pretty sure the RF would disrupt this cosy agreement at their peril and they know it! The voluntary paying of income tax was also a PR exercise to try and maintain their popularity and keep the pesky republicans at bay.

1 Like

That’s a synical view but (dare I say) typical from someone who dislikes the monarchy.

2 Likes