Rugby World Cup

Just imagine if soccer did what rugby has done with its 'adopted' sons, Japanese national players like Luke Thompson, Justin Ives, Michael Broadhurst and the captain Michael Leitch. It would make the Premiership and its like look quite mild. The Japanese are brilliant and should be going through really, however the USA have everything to play for. It might be a good game.

Yep, no idea how Michalek & friends keep their places ! Mind you, any team who needs to call on a 37 year old must have a problem within the ranks of the English RU !

Doesn't say much about the younger guys coming through on either side of the channel....

I'll agree with that. Now perhaps France will retire off one or two of the overrated lard buckets as well.

France this evening confirmed what we already knew. France are as mediocre as England and Ireland are still the best team in the Northern Hemisphere.

Well Ireland saw France off nicely. Guess who gets the Kiwis? Yep, there may be quite some tears and gnashing of teeth already, but after that game it will probably be floods of tears.

Oz proved how good they are. A no try game, but when the Ozzies played only 13 men for 10 minutes their defence was impeccable. Wales were not up to it, but played well anyway.

Wood spoon match later, nobody around here is bothering. There is a nice evening of music about five minutes away. Tomorrow evening is another story ;-)

Aye, 'tis me saying it. After that performance Scotland do not deserve to be in the quarter finals. Samoa were sterling and could have taken it in the closing minutes, just a try then a conversion for the final humiliation. If they had not lost a bit of discipline in the second half they may well have done it. I do not think we have got what it takes although resilient throughout this gruelling game and a fingernail finish.

Now for Wales v Oz. Come on you boyos...

South Africa hammered the USA which (sort of, kind of) exonerates them from the defeat by Japan their first match. Given the USA have thus far not been the worst side could this mean they are a contender? Kiwis still favourite, Wallabies next but who follows after the way the Springboks went for tries like human bulldozers. If the rest have been practice games and this the real pre-RWC game, then they are not to dismiss.

My goodness Foley walks on water doesn't he. He was everywhere and that kind of canniness, keeping things together, opportunism and speed is really what was lacking in England games I've seen recently. I agree with you Brian about Ireland, they weren't looking as sharp as one might expect. Italy have come on in leaps and bounds, it is wonderful the support they are getting at home as well - I can remember them in the 6 nations playing in front of 3 oldies and a dog & those days are gone now. Of the Southern hemisphere lot the only ones I find dreary to watch are S Africa and that's probably only because they dug the old behemoths out of the freezer to be mean to the lovely boys in navy blue on Saturday, so I'm biaised...

Aha, I was disturbed by missing Dr Whom last night ;-) Yes, it is all along the lines of what you say. When I was a humble school team hooker we played to what are essentially the same rules as now but far less importance was placed on the maul and some of the components of today's game that seem to have shackled it to role performances of particular prima donnas the selectors choose instead of passionate, real rugby players. I accept they are now professional players rather than as it was when RU was amateur only, but as with soccer the stars shine brightly in eyes to blind their servile fans. Behind the blaze of radiance, half of them should be consigned to the limited memories of people who will hero worship whoever blinds them next. Too many ride on the back of a good domestic season or two and a few good international games. Then they stick. What the heck are Ireland fielding half of the lumbering oafs they used this evening for, surely even a small nation can do better. Countries with half a dozen clubs at second tier international play far more attractive rugby, play their hearts out and are getting better by the year. The established nations are like the proverbial curate's egg; good in parts. The bad bits are making the good go off. The less established nations are like a young wine, let it mature then savour. The sports commentators are all tears in their beer and no appreciation of fine wine.

It's hello to whom by the way Brian.I fear that what we have here is a failure on the part of the public influenced by the "sports commentators" to recognize that this is a World Cup. We've focused too much on the Six Nations and the occasional tour to Australia and New Zealand without looking at the comparative picture. Do you remember the old days of tours when mighty NZ or mighty Lions were sometimes humbled by local county or provincial sides? The equivalence is that those provincial sides are now Japan and Argentina. We all take some amusement from the performance of Italy in the Six nations. However to night they ran Ireland a close match although it was extremely boring. The Argentinians, the Romanians, the Canadians have been quietly planning the fall of the Europeans for ages.Ad then there are our friends from the South Seas so long patronised, "they're very good at sevens and how they love to throw the ball around ". I wish that England could throw the ball around instead of being like "Burnt Creek Comunity College Idaho" with all the prepared plays that coach has decided will win. It may work in gridiron but not in Rugby.Let's face it England aren't very good at the moment and alll the introduction of players from Rugby League (you know those guys who can't run and pass the ball at the same time) will make any difference. I feel much the same about the Round Bladder chasers surely ther are better players in "lower" divisions who could play far better than the overpaid icons who get "selected"

My wife was offered commiserations from the cashier in Super U this morning. He was quite surprised to learn that I thought England rubbish and that I'd thought as much since the days of Dusty Hare. As for the thuggery of Martin Johnson and chums: I don't wnant to know.

The improving standards are pushing the stakes up, England do not appear to be taking it into account because they have the biggest number of clubs, players and so on available. The passion is now coming out when a Japan or Georgia play. They have no chance of winning. Yet. I think Georgia is a bit premature in wanting to join the six nations, but why not Romania and Georgia in time? Why not a proper European league or competition as countries come on? The game would benefit in the way international football has. England are still always there among the top national teams but only sometimes the top dog. The USA is bringing soccer on like never before, they now have a following that rivals American football that one major competition success will pull to the fore. Rugby is not that far behind. The Americas and Pacific region could so easily come to dominate both sports and then we might see the UK teams dithering and wondering what went wrong? Either they look closely at this WC on home turf or they let it happen. The latter will see them left way behind. Only Wales have the passion at present, but then across the water they have the more powerful France and Ireland who are both vulnerable to inexplicably weak games.

Bye, bye Lancaster but hello to who? Is there a coach up to the mark? Most of the best possibilities are around the world with contracts to coach up and coming national squads and a fair few local teams. Even in those countries they have pay and conditions well and truly above the standard they get in the UK. It is a hard number to call.

Looking forward to a great final. Oz are strong and we know what the kiwis can do...

England well and truly beaten twice by better sides. Why can't the English show the same passion as the Welsh, not to mention the Japanese etc ?

Lancaster & cronies will be replaced and hopefully the new coach will relieve Robshaw of the captaincy. I can't ever recall such a sterile leader, where's the leadership and motivational skills ? Players need to be shouted at and understand the meaning of 'the badge'. These prima donnas are a disgrace which is sad because there are some decent players in the squad. We just need someone to lead, bring back Beaumont, Uttley & Ripley et al please !

Well, that was a far bigger margin than I ever thought, but the Wallabies are no longer Wannabes, more like contenders. If they make the final then they would be a tough on. Most of the time their defence was like a wall of granite, even the Kiwis would have to work hard to penetrate enough to beat them. I suspect the final match is now just going to be tactical to get them the right game next round.

We are a disgrace....

RIP England RU and adios Lancaster !

BOO HOO HOO HOO only flashes of wonderfulness (Weir) got through those hulking hippos. PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Useless piece of information but did you know he was the cousin of William Gallas ?

Bastareaud has had problems throughout his career. He lost the plot last season and hasn't recovered mentally I feel.

I liked PStA as a player but I find his coaching negative, well not typical French anyway. I love to see the French play with flair but I find his softly softly approach almost anti-rugby ! Or maybe it's just me ? It's good to grind out results I suppose, witness the pre WC 'friendlies' v England, two very dour affairs hell-bent on not losing....yawn yawn, how boring...

Agree, why oh why was Bastareaud there?

Quite agree BM (for once !).

I draw parallels with the recent Cricket World Cup. The second tier of world cricket is rapidly catching up on the higher level. Cricketing nations such as Afghanistan, Ireland, UAE and Scotland surprised everyone recently as coaching expertise spreads around the globe. The qualifying stages saw the likes of Kenya, Nepal, Holland, Canada et al putting up credible shows which bodes well for the future of cricket.

RU is getting stronger by the year and in a few years we will be in the Bobby Robson footy scenario when he famously pointed out in the '80s that world footballing nations were catching up and that "there would be no easy games"..He was right, it's becoming that way in many sports nowadays and good luck to these so-called lesser nations.

I liked Canada, I thought they played intelligently, they were lively and and have a great foundation on which to build. I really enjoyed the game even though I'm as ever wondering what on earth Bastareaud and Dulin do to merit selection and I'm not convinced by Dumoulin either...