RYANAIR - if they withdrew services from your area, how would it affect you?

don't be so quick to assume people will just go back and avail of a so called "service" after being let down, or ripped off... i've not used ryanair since 2006, and neither will I ever use them again, i find adequate planes to take me where I need to go.

you have a point though, and it goes with what I said on the topic... when you get a cheap flight through ryanair, someone els's stupidity is paying the rest of your ticket. The person who doesn't respect the weight allowance with baggage, the person who doesn't check in online, or who does (i hear both, that people were charged to check in online, and that people were charged for not checking in online).

Cows are the largest producers of Methane gas but not from the rear end!!

I saw a medical reprot on pollution and it seems that human beings make 0.2% of pollution but I shall not add how!

Aircraft generate about 2% greenhouse gases worldwide. Largest producers are electricity generation, cars/other transport and your house. Planes are becoming cleaner and more energy efficient whilst our houses aren't. The State airlines are subsidised as are railways in Europe but not Ryanair.

I read somewhere last month that 1% of the electricity generated in the US is used to power data-centres !

Just booked La Rochelle to Stansted with Ryanair...44 euros return all in!!!! Excellent value I think....

I wonder how much pollution there is in firing the internet, the MX stations, the computers rooms, the laptops, the PCs and the infrastructure for us all to be able to comment on the non eco-friendly organisations???

I suppose if survives you might even consider flying them yourself John ;-)

Actually this is the biggest joke of all........

‘Plane Speaking: The Wit and Wisdom of Michael O'Leary’ by Paul Kilduff, published by Aurum Press is available from Telegraph Books for £8.99 plus 99p p&p. Call 08448711515 or visit Telegraph Books. ISBN: 978184513541

Of course, one must add this to give the in-depth on the mad-man himself: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9522319/Michael-OLearys-most-memorable-quotes.html

One of the many ways of saving money within Ryanair is they don't feel they need to pay for public relations or advertising. Their chief executive, Michael O'Leary, has long since become a master of the soundbite. His latest riposte following a disgruntled customer's complaint is detailed here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9522191/Ryanair-boss-slams-idiot-who-forgot-boarding-pass.html.

I've got the 50% card - the one that you have to pay for, but it paid for itself after 2 months.

Actually, interestingly I am considering getting the €56 worth of senior citizen's card for trains. Up to 50% reductions, normally about 25%, less but nonetheless for TGV. It does not include Eurotunnel but if someone goes as far as to the Eurotunnel terminal by normal rail then reductions are available. Unbroken journeys into other countries are covered by discounts and the card recognised and accepted in several (not the mean-minded UK though). If I need to go to Bordeaux for treatment in the near future, I shall already have saved money on the third journey. As for replacing flying? If I have the time then I have no problem with it to go, for instance, to London.

Love it Jo. I have been offered a free cup of coffee from a well known high speed train operating company in France (who shall remain nameless to avoid any trouble) - and why?

Well because it's my birthday this month.

I must say, over the last few years, their customer service in all spheres has vastly improved.

I might be able to get cheaper train tickets, eventually, because demand and investment long term in reasonably priced transport might switch away from the hugely subsidised and massively polluting air travel, to the most eco-friendly way of all.

I also have to say trains are FAR more pleasant. No earache from pressurisation, less queing to get on and off, cheaper ways to get to and from the train and you get to see far more countryside, you can take as much luggage as you can carry, and you don't get charged 7 quid for a coffee.

couldnt agree more Steve...we just booked 9 days in the UK....one fare....was 106 Euros for two of us return...Bergerac to Stanstead.....not the most comfy...but one and a half hours so couldnt care if I was standing....it will do what it says on the tin...and the other 180 euros...(next closest quote for a flight) will provide some entertainment in the UK when we arrive!

When I want to back to the UK I will book the the most convenient flight whether it is PaddyAir, EasyGreek or whoever. I know it won't the most enjoyable experience but will always save me time and will probably save me some money. I wouldn't base any business plan on cheap flights exisiting forever as the budget airlines will only fly routes that make .them money and will chop any that don't. What is offered this year/season may well not exist next year/season.

Just back from Edinboro, 200€ w/o luggage. Only direct flight from Lyon. Only complaint (from my side) was that the plane was full.

If you live in a skiing area then it's often the case that the winter timetables are the only ones that are any use. Often there are no summer flights at all. I think Chambéry is a case in point, servicing mainly winter ski holidays - which is a shame because many of the same resorts are actually great places to be in the summer too.

It would affect us, as my OH commutes to London.

I would add that after 8 years here, we have experienced difficulties, especially when the winter timetables click in at the end of October. I recall the winter of 2010 being really hard to get decent flights to suit.

That said, there seems to be an ever increasing number of newbies (maybe not so old) who seem to offer alternatives.

FLYBE is one company that we are currently using, and JET2 is also worth looking at.

I don't think that any of us can rely on flights to service our requirements once the winter timetables start - there seems to be no rhyme or reason to them, and we just keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best!

FYI the FLYBE are operating (winter) a daily flight to SOUTHAMPTON. My OH has checked and there seems to be a good rail link into London from there.......

I have just booked my wife on Ryanair Beziers to Manchester October 5 for 10 days to see family at the extortionate price of 32€ return tried comparison flights best i could get was 300€ from Toulouse that was a 5 hour flight via Frankfurt, not a hard decision really even with large luggage which she hasnt got it would come nowhere near