RYANAIR - if they withdrew services from your area, how would it affect you?

Our daughter used City Airport....when Brive airport opened a couple of years ago...all return flights were £50 each way...and she was very impressed. Just a bit of a long drive for us this end, approx 2 hours....Bergerac only 20 minutes and 1.5 hours drive to Bordeaux so not a route we would choose....

City Airport is about 30mins from Central London on the DLR and there is a train every 8 minutes. With the fast efficient process for getting in/out of City Airport we can land and be out of the airport with our bags in less than 20 minutes, back to Canary Wharf in a further 10 minutes (or Bank - central London in 30). We wouldn't even have reached the baggage terminal by then at Gatwick!

The CityJet flights can be reasonably priced - not cheap but fair and the service is good. I agree with Catharine, London City Airport is a good alternative - but hey we don't want everyone using - let's keep it a secret :)

John, I have certainly done it already. I often have to fly through or from the UK when working for UK NGOs which has cut what they can afford to pay in fees when many of us are already charging less than 10 years ago!

Eee oop, the missus couldn't object to me having ferrets any more, bring it on!

City Airport is in East Ham!
NOT really very close to the city of London.
However my nearest airport is a generous 2 hour drive
away. At 130 pounds extra for the ticket I will stay
with Bergerac to Stanstead and take the bus through Essex,
North London and look through the window at the life I have left
behind.

love it, and shared it!

Anyone seen this? Michael O'Leary is waging a similar campaign in Ireland and of course I was only too delighted to help my old mucker Willie Walsh out by registering my disapproval of this tax :-) Maybe those of you that fly into and out of the UK a lot should consider doing likewise.

Executive Club
Dear Mr Scully,

As a frequent flyer, you will know as well as anyone that taxes on air travel are higher in the UK than anywhere else in the world - so I wanted to tell you about a campaign aimed at changing that.

In the last six years, Air Passenger Duty (APD) - the paid by airlines for each passenger departing a UK airport - has risen more than 300 per cent on many routes - while inflation has increased barely 20 per cent.

Some customers are now paying £184 for a single journey, while the cost for families taking their annual holiday has sky-rocketed: In 2006, a family of four flying from the UK to the Caribbean would pay £80 in APD - today they would pay £324 in World Traveller, or £648 in World Traveller Plus, Club World, or First.

This level of increase has no justification and no international parallel. Yet the UK Government has firm plans to keep on raising APD every year to 2017.

This tax also acts as a brake on growth and jobs for the whole economy by making it more difficult for businesses to reach new markets, and making the UK less attractive to overseas visitors.

How can you help? Just take a few seconds to visit
www.afairtaxonflying.org and click on "Not a UK Resident?". This will generate an automatic letter to the UK minister responsible for APD, George Osborne, calling for action on a tax that is now far too high and inflicting real damage on the UK's efforts to move out of recession. Add your name, send and you're done.

This is an important campaign - and I hope you will support us in it.

Best wishes,

Keith Williams,
British Airways CEO
Follow us:

Executive Club. oneworld.

Have yet to find a return fare at that price-next dates we go back to the UK the total cost would be £457 for the 2 of us, return plus train fares out of London to Suffolk. For that money I would expect a more comfortable seat and better service but the sandwiches were 'orrible! Agree with you, 'cheap' air travel should be stopped so that only rich people can visit their friends and families and go to foreign places on holiday.

like!

Gatwick's definitely my preferred option but of course Ryanair don't operate out of there. My mum's in her 70s so driving to Southampton etc to pick us up is simply too much for her. If i win the Euro Millions I could simply buy a small plane and take over Angouleme airport myself, lol.

Yeah, I did wonder about that. :)

Ryanair operates out of many UK airports....so might have had other options to Stanstead

Baraba said...

Even though I have been the victim of fatal

accidents

If that was the case...then surely she would not be living...???

Excellent Kenneth!

If Ryanair were to stop serving our area we would have to choose another airline

if it means packing more marmite, it's definitely worth it, lol.

City Jet from Pau to London City suits me far better at 75 quid return with a decent sized case. That way I can fly out with wine and fly in contraband Marmite :)

Besides, when I factor in the cost of the Stansted Express etc, there is very little if any difference. The planes are more comfortable and the service better. Plus.....and this is a whole other debate but.....is really cheap air travel A Good Thing for the planet or should we be considering other alternatives.....

Won't have a bad word said about the wonderful Mr. O'Leary - even though he pulled the airline out of Pau after 7 years. What happened? Air France hates competition and had been trying to get him to leave the airport ever since he started. By suberterfuge a new airline called Cityjet sprang up and offered a service into City Airport in the centre of London on terms that the local Chamber of Trade couldn't refuse. Cityjet start their service and suddenly there are no cheap flights to the UK. Why? Because Cityjet is owned by Air France! Luckily, though further from us at 40 minutes rather than 20, Ryanair fly into Tarbes (Lourdes), so not too bad. With the new peage it takes 1 hour and twenty minutes to Biarritz and 1.5 to Bordeaux.

Back to the question, it hasn't made much difference to our main business - gite holidays - as most of our clients come from France and Spain. With our creative courses, people come from the UK according to their nearest airport that flies into any of the above. There are also good train connections from Bordeaux, Biarritz and Toulouse and we arrange pick ups from Pau railway station. Personally, most of our family and friends are near Stansted so Tarbes is nearest and best.

Ryanair pulled out of Angouleme in 2010, I believe, and apart from the aviation club the airport is otherwise bereft of major flights. I've not researched this recently so please don't bite me if some of the facts are wrong. I think a Canadian company, SNC, will now be taking over the airport. I know they have a concession in Malta which would be brilliant for me if they start operating even one weekly flight. Ryanair would not have been helpful to me UK wise as Stansted airport is a little far from my mum. So hopefully Ryanair's departure will be good for me from a selfish viewpoint but it's ridiculous the new Angouleme airport is all but abandoned. Excuse scrappy typing - keyboard is attached to other laptop (don't ask) and can't use this one.

? to your ?