S1 form - help pls!

Why not ask at your CPAM now… if you wait until August to speak with them… you’ll hit peak-holiday time and might have problems…

just a thought…

Never wait with CPAM :slight_smile: . It takes so long anyway. Also have you already applied to UK for them? Depending on UK govt dept mood the time ahead of the first day of validity, that you can apply, has varied massively.

You might find you don’t get the S1 from the UK much before August anyway, in either of your cases.

2 Likes

Thanks.
That’s useful to know.

No we haven’t applied to UK yet so will get onto that.
It’s taken them 4 months to respond to my request to top up my NI contributions for my pension.

Exactly.
I’ve been through this recently with UK govt departments and it’s been a clvster***k so that’s why I warned you. Get onto it now with Newcastle and follow it up at at least monthly intervals.

1 Like

Normally you have individual accounts, it is only income tax that is dealt with as a household.
The exception to this is when one person “piggybacks” on the other!s S1.

1 Like

With a nod to Jane’s comment on income tax, if husband pays social charges would he be better off to get it now, then you can tick the box 8SH on the current tax form which removes the social charges?

That’s a good point. Thanks

Deadlines for tax are in next few weeks, last department is 9 June. It will take a lot longer to get an S1, and you can’t tick that box until it has at least been approved.

Absolutely, however @Teresaship 's hubby may be going for the pensioner one for which the application is a phone call (?) - and they are dated from when the pension entitlement starts - or at least Mme’s one was - and I recall they arrived in the post in France in a week or two - I do remember being amazed at how quick they came, compared to my HMRC one’s.!

And that reminds me, Mme also got one for me as a partner, so perhaps teresaship can also get one for herself too as the dependant of her hubby?

And a tax return can be amended too?

Folk have the right to amend a Declaration, up until a certain date (December??)…

Will the tax form be for last year so shouldn’t matter this year?

14 december this year.

They have changed a couple of boxes, but can’t remember which. Can look at online version to check.

If only 3 months until she is eligible for her own this might cause more confusion than it’s worth. And increases the probability of a mistake on CPAM’ part.

That’s what I wondered.
I may just be better waiting until August and we can both have our own S1’s.

Presumably you each have your own SS numbers, and accounts with CPAM already? So I would wait too!

Ah, I see what you mean, good point to you! If S1’s issued say April 2023 it won’t apply to 2022 income - you know I haven’t seen that point raised before, it’s always been ‘once you get your S1, make sure you tick the box in the tax return’ - and keep multiple copies…

If your argument applies, then by equal measure you would next year be liable for SS charges on January to (say) April 2023 for when you didn’t have a S1 - but there is no date field on the income tax form, I think if the box is ticked it applies for the year.

The S1 question on the tax form is I think in the present tense - you are subject to a foreign social security insurance regime etc

Perhaps one to ask the tax authorities if you are minded to try to save on the SS charges - and if not, perhaps just tick the box next year?

I could see it might look a bit weird for any amending of a tax return later in the year - unless the tax office rule is you can tick the box if you have one at the time of making the declaration.

Your question could open that can of worms - as far as I’ve read on the forum people get their S1’s when they retire and then just tick the S1 box - but maybe they shouldn’t until a whole year’s gone by after they get it.

There has though also been several thoughts / speculation on the possible nature of any links / checks between the CPAM records and the impot - the thinking being there must be.

The prevailing advice I have seen and followed was to present the S1’s to the tax authorities with our paper declarations - the tax inspector duly photocopied our S1 certificates…

1 Like

Ha, no it will cause more confusion - and the probability of a mistake having already reached 100%, it won’t be increased further, being nailed on :slight_smile:

My frontalier and dependent pensioner S1 are still lodged somewhere in the system needing to be sorted out, - but the UK EHIC’s never did arrive (or at least not yet)…

1 Like

Which is fine if you arrive with an S1!. We weren’t entitled until years after, and duly ticked box on tax form as tax year ended well after date on S1. OH was then asked to submit a copy of it.

I haven’t got round to requesting mine yet! On the to-do list!

1 Like

Have read the last few posts and hopefully got the jist of the matter at hand, apologies if not.
Yes the S1 has the date on it starting with the date of entitlement ie 66th birthday but it also has an issue date.
I am not entitled to an S1 as last worked in France but the boss is entitled and last year we appliied for her S1.
I must say at this piont thanks to @JaneJones who was always telling us how the possession of one reduces social charges on certain income, which it does, but!
We submitted the coveted S1 with our 2021 return but was told that although it came into effect that year because its issue date was in 2022 its benefits would not come into play until after the issue date.
We appealed the judgement but lost.
As a result the benefit of reduced social charges will not come into play untill some 18 months after the date of S1 entitlement.
If you are to become eligible for an S1 as a Uk state pensioner then be sure to apply as soon as you are entitled as the French tax authorities apply the issue date and not the entitlement date.

1 Like

Back to this subject.
Interestingly I received an email today with a link to print off my S1.
My husband hasn’t had this email and his birthday is 4 months before mine.
I am likely to have some health issues this year and I’m wondering if I try and register my S1 now will it affect my already established and excellent french healthcare?
And advise greatly received. Thanks