Sale of a motorhome

Thank you.
Already been there and done that!
:minibus::minibus::minibus:

Apparently, other areas do not concur. I am reliably informed, that each region has its own views. For example, despite an EU, certificate, Chalon demanded i change plug sockets, and took for a Gas inspection. Van was 5 years old. In the yard when i called with motor caravan, were 5 others, all of which he had declined due to location of door. One can only speak from personal knowledge.

Do not concur with what, please?

It may not be what you want to hear but it is best to take it back and sell it in the UK as any French domiciled buyer here will need to pay an extra 32% ( tva and import duty )when registering and that 32% may be based , by the douane, upon the equivalent value of a French LHD. The vehicle will probably need separate CoCā€™s on the chassis and the body and need to be inspected for gas safety. It is all possible but the cost of import and registering what will still be a RHD vehicle could possibly exceed that of a French LHD version.

3 Likes

Hi your comment that a local garage with do the change to FR reg is completely wrong.

Before Brexit we did our UK VW camper, which took six months. Friends of our then did a camper about the size of yours and based on our experience thought the local garage could do it (so did the local garage). This took over two years.

No as it has to go through DREAL to get inspected and approved it turned out to be a nightmare. You have to get a Certificate of Conformity, Gas certificates etc. Our worst problem was getting approval for the wing mirrors!

Good Luck

Nick

Iā€™m wondering if there is confusion, as many Garages are able to do the basic ANTS bits and bobs, for change of ownership etc ā€¦ and perhaps thatā€™s what theyā€™ve got in mindā€¦
on the other hand, perhaps the Garage WILL undertake to do the whole whammy, Import, DREALā€¦ etc etcā€¦

fingers crossed all will be well.

Hi Our local garage said they could do it as they had experience with cars, but motor homes are a whole different thing. Because you have to deal with DREAL.

We had to compromise as they would not accept the rear seat belts although they were attached to a solid steel frame. They only way they could accept it was to do a destructive test. So a six berth camper is only a two seater.

Nick

Hello you all

I now realise quite why I dislike social media.

My attempt to sell at a good price my motorhome has been completely stymied by people who have chucked in opinion, ignorance and obfuscation often in the guise of ā€œknowledgeā€. Nearly all the comments made have lacked any wisdom and often based on assumptions. Many have given me advice without fully understanding or even asking about the legal position of the motorhome and some have suggested it would be impossible to sell to a French person despite this forum clearly being used by a virtually 100% British audience. The name of the forum suggest that it is targeted at the non-French community. Some have made the assumption that I am able to sell on eBay or those who have asked questions which are more easily and independently answered using the internet and so unlikely to have an incorrect or misleading answer

Thank you all those who have provided helpful suggestions such as loading some photographs which I now have for future use.

What has become clear to me is that I am not the worldā€™s greatest salesman but I have, through this learned a great deal.

I started off simply trying to find a potential British purchaser who wished to buy an excellent motorhome in need of a little work at a reasonable price. Not one necessarily wishing to keep it in France.

The naysayers will have put off anybody interested so with no personal responsibility have, possibly, stopped somewhere using the forum getting a great deal.

I will not reply to any comments from now on unless somebody wishes to contact me with a view to knowing all the circumstances and who genuinely wishes to consider buying my much loved moho.

Finally, may I suggest that before you commit your comments to ā€œpaperā€ in the future you might, if youā€™re capable of doing so, consider the effect of those comments.

1 Like

You clearly donā€™t understand the legal position regarding importing and registration of the vehicle by a French resident, whether UK expat or French.
I would argue that a good percentage of members of this forum are resident in France and cannot legally own or drive your motorhome without first importing it and paying the 32% import and tva costs, then going through the lengthy and costly process of DREAL inspection and obtaining the documentation needed from both the chassis/cab manufacturer and the body builder.
Hence my suggestion that you sell it in the UK. Just because you are unaware of the law, is no reason to criticise others in their sound advice to you and effectively warn potential buyers, who may believe itā€™s easy to register here, which it is certainly not.

4 Likes

Hello Stella, Iā€™d like that thread as well as I am in a similar situation. Next vehicle I sell, Iā€™ll put the ā€œaucune garantie vices cachĆ©sā€ in the contract; it might take longer to sell, but at least I wonā€™t be hassled for years :blush:.

1 Like

Which is now way past itā€™s MOT date, so hope you have sold it!