Secure temporary Wi-Fi access

Does anyone have any experience of using Hippocket Wi-Fi as a personal Wi-Fi source when travelling in Europe? (Need to get some sort of temporary secure Wi-Fi to be able to use my banking apps etc. until we can get it set up in the house). Thanks.

I haven’t used the HippoPocket devices but a friend has. It seemed to work well, but they found that as it was tied to an (unspecified) operator, reception was patchy.

It did exactly what any smartphone will do - it connected to cellular data (using 4G) and then acted as a wireless hotspot. I showed them how to set up their phone to do this and they returned the HippoPocket…

1 Like

@billybutcher
would a VPN be as just effective?

I think the question is about personal hotspots - a VPN on top of that might be useful but generally an internet connection using UK SIM will appear to originate in the UK anyway.

Whether the HippoPocket is a good idea for Maura will depend somewhat on the tariff that she is on for her phone and roaming data, whether her phone will act as a personal WiFi hotspot (most modern phones will) and what use she has in mind - if it is just banking then that will not use much data.

HippoPocket is 35,60€ for 4 days, 59€ for 10 days and 96,60€ for 14 days - at those prices your UK SIM is likely to be cheaper (e.g. Vodafone’s EuroTraveller pass is £2/day and you just have your normal data limit).

3 Likes

I thought I read it more as a security issue tbh

A VPN would serve that purpose, no?

Fair enough.

The threat to HTTPS data in flight is minimal, indeed the threat to any data in flight is overstated.

A VPN would add another layer of security if it is encrypted. Whether it would make the difference between her traffic being “hacked” or not I am less convinced. After all if your threat model is a man-in-the-middle attack then the data is still vulnerable between the UK endpoint of the VPN and her bank.

Don’t forget that using a UK SIM the data goes in the GSM layers back to the UK mobile provider.

just thought that your comment might be useful for the OP…

1 Like

Absolutely :slight_smile:

I must admit I read the original query as simply about getting internet access when away and thought that @_Brian’s reply was very helpful.

perhaps I should get out more…

2 Likes

Having read all the welcome responses, I’m not sure what I need! :joy: Tech savvy is definitely not my strong point :woozy_face:. I thought I was prepared. Bought a new up to date iPhone. Virgin (don’t say it!) is my Uk network. Mobile data is on as is roaming (no charge as long as I stay within my normal allowance. I have no Wi-Fi in the temporary accommodation. If I try to access anything on line it keep losing & gaining connection or let’s me get so far then loses. I can get insecure public Wi-Fi in the main part of town but do not want to access my bank accounts via this. I thought the Hippocket Wi-Fi sounded like a secure personal Wi-Fi for internet access and was going to rent it for 2mths - that is of course if I can actually get on secure internet to order it!:grimacing:

I suggest you visit your nearest Apple store and ask how to set up your phone to act as a wi-fi hotspot. That should be all you need.

1 Like

you may also need to ensure that your iPhone SIM network settings are set to automatically choose preferred network and to connect to data services when roaming.
Do you have a dual SIM model? If so, whilst in France, you might wish to consider a PAYG SIM to use on the French network.

Good idea, @graham, but the OP opines that

hence my suggestion to visit an Apple Store, as they can explain face-to-face about dual SIM operations (which can be daunting to the uninitiated!)

2 Likes

absolutely, but may not have realised what a dual SIM is without mentioning it :wink:

Do you have a good signal on the phone?

This should give you some pointers on setting up a hotspot

1 Like

I think they are Graham :grimacing:

1 Like

No idea :roll_eyes:As far as I know there’s just one place put one SIM!

To be fair the signal in the apartment is not great. I did try the link you suggested. But only lets you join unsecured wifi. :pensive:

Many modern phones allow 1 SIM card plus 1 virtual SIM - these are downloaded and embedded in the phone’s software and firmware. An Apple store will be able to explain all!

1 Like

None anywhere near me Brian :weary: