Serving breakfast - you MUST renew your license

We have a gite, not chambres d’hotes, so this does not apply to me.

1 Like

OK Jane. Thanks.

Before we moved here we found an accountant and he got us our paperwork for the liscence and the siret number.
We also registered with the Marie.
However somehow the siret number was incorrect and although we were paying all the taxes we needed to get this sorted. None of the accoutants which we used managed to untangle the problem.
Untill one day last year we went to the chamber de Metier with every paper we had under the sun which relates to the situation. We went there with good friends (French) who know a bit about these admin matters.
The siret number was changed and we got a KABIS and we are now able to purchase professionaly at Metro etc.
We were advised that we could conduct wine tastings.
We also pay tax de sejour which I hear is non payable if the property is your main residence and is used for clients for 4 months or less.

Hi Barbara… re Taxe de Sejour… we very occasionally do B&B… at first, we were told we were exempt, but nowadays we have to take TdS from each and every client…

If we do not do a Return every quarter saying how many have stayed (even marked Zero)… we will be charged what “they” think we should have taken by way of TdS and I’ve already been caught like that once… never again…:zipper_mouth_face:

So I send in my Return with Néant clearly marked on it… and one of these days, we might have a client… which will break the monotony of these Forms…:blush:

Well hopefully we are doing exactly what is correct and attracting more attention to the flow touristique activity.
Our area is a major attraction for wedding celebrations with nearby chateaux one celebrity owned.
So the surrounding buisnesss ae doing fairly well.
Chefs are like gold dust!

If it’s main home and used for 4 months or less then you don’t have to go through some of the processes - previous thread in this here.

I did ask Marie later, and taxe de sejour is still due if applicable in your area.

Your business sounds great Barbara…and you so obviously enjoy it. :grin: the TdS is not charged in all areas… and then, it is only if someone stays the night… :relaxed:

Yes the thing about working is that it keeps you on your toes. Keeps the brain working.
We have a new plan for next spring which is organised…90% and it is everything we need.
Just working and just earning money is not enough there has to be a result. Some people love parties I love creating a project.

1 Like

no necesarilly so Stella. My area of the Languedoc has just introduced TDS based on the number of people you can accommodate - regardless of whether you have any bookings. I kid you not !
geoff

Hi Geoff… they did that to me… just the once…every year before that they had phoned for a report…

anyway, as a result of them demanding money that they were not actually due… I paid them… and shut up shop.

This year the Tourist Board contacted me to ask why I had closed…I told them the tale and they advised me that my reaction was not an isolated incident. They asked me to reconsider and use the “new” system of monthly reporting.

As I get asked occasionally, by locals, for family do’s etc, where there are not enough beds and Grandma really cannot sleep on the floor…:roll_eyes::wink: I agreed to re-open for occasional business throughout the year. As ever, it depends on whether or not it suits us…as we have many commitments which take us all over the place.

We seem to have more folk staying for free (friends and family) than paying guests… but it is always nice to be able to help if we can… :relaxed:

Unfortunately, I am one of those that like to eat very early. I actually when I go away its one of the factors in my pick of places to stay. Hazard of the business I guess. Same as me I am up at 6;30 am to eat and let my guests out, luckily they don’t do my head in!!

chefs are 2 to a penny, now good chef’s are rare.

I offer our guests a choice of times but have to point out that if they want fresh bread & croissants the boulangerie doesnt open until 7am & is 10 mins drive from here. If they want earlier than that I will try to do something ...but dont encourage it!

2 Likes

Yes, perhaps I should have said that Harry.
Nice to know that my other half is a rare commodity and maybe I
am too!

i cannot comment on that I have never had his food.

i should have said master chefs are a rarity though, I know many great chef’s

I have eaten some bad food too but never gone back.

One particular pace I will never go back to is a river boat in a town near me. 30 people went and 30 people hated the food. the portions were crazy too. the lady next to me got a massive portion where mine and the persons next them both got miniature portions. the food and service was awful, many of the dishes coming out cold.

You do not have to comment on that the restaurant guide books have done this!
We were in the Gault Millau, Michelin with a red M, 3 Automobile Assoociation Rosettes.
High rating in the Good food guide and an Egon Ronay Star oh and good rattings in Hardens guide.
At one point we were one of the top 50 restaurants in UK but not sure if this makes us master chefs.
Big portions do not make fine cuisine what makes fine cuisine is using good fresh ingredients and having the gift of making them taste really special, and at the same time the plate should be very presentable giving good contrasts of texture and even colour.
We are not in any guide books now because we have no restaurant but we still understand about food and cooking.

1 Like

My last comments were not a reminder of being a chef in London…they were sent to explain our credentials as chefs.

im pretty sure given your success in your place to me you would be a master chef. My mum while not a actual chef, often is requested to cook for events as she has a great reputation for being an amazing cook. she to me and our village in England would certainly be a master chef. Only reason she didn’t do it full time is time consuming and she loves cooking but as a job is a no.

Not all chefs are trained at college.
Jonathon and I are untrained and found technique and style through interest and developing a skill
which was, perhaps a hidden treasure. As it happens some of the very best are untrained.
We have worked and spent time with a few TV chefs but was not enchanted by all of them.
Training does not always make magic…magic comes from inside and is a delight to discover.
Where does mum live?

1 Like

You certainly are rare Barbara.:grinning: