Setting up a new virement on a CA account online?

Thanks Fleur, this is really helpful. I’ll use this to show the bank what I am missing and ask why. I’m assuming yours is a “normal” bank account and not, say, a business a/c.

Sue… Fleur’s page looks just the same as mine…only a different colour… :roll_eyes: :relaxed:

and mine is definitely bog standard

Yes, totally normal!

Thank you Fleur and Stella - this definitely needs sorting!

Hi, we had the same issue a few days ago. You need to download the crédit agricole Ma Banque app. You can only do internal virement on the web page version. You also need to get a French mobile number associated with you account by calling them up. The mobile is then used for 2-factor Authentication when setting up a new virement for the first time. Hope this helps. regards, Graham

sue… I’m not sure this is what you really want… having looked a bit more into virements with CA.

Perhaps you need to discuss with one of their “helpers” Conseilleur 'cos on the face of it you are going to be doing several one-off transfers and never using the person’s info again… and it looks a bit complicated setting each one up (maybe I am just misreading my CA site)

got to be an easier way of doing it I would have thought…

just an idea…

Thanks for the info Graham. I’ll look at the Ma Banque thing - I ONLY use my computer. Mobile number already in place and the 2 factor authorisation is an absolute nightmare because we have no mobile signal where we live!!!

Thanks Stella, I’ve investigated Transferwise borderless account as suggested by @anon51582117 and it’s an absolute doddle. I’m already a great fan of theirs and have just become more so.
So I probably won’t ever need to use CA now. But even so, I need to find out why I can’t do it, should I ever want to.

1 Like

From my experience it seems that you need to ask your person at your bank to turn things on here. I wanted to do a virement to my eldest who got stuck in Holland in lock down and I had to ask my bank manager to set it up so I was able to do it(I gave up in the end so still not sure if it works!) .

I agree it all seems soooo archaic. As an Aussie I even find the UK bank system very old fashioned, although they seem to be catching up! It was very much so 23 years ago when I arrived - I got myself in trouble as I was used to having instant transactions (buy a top in a shop, walk across the road to the ATM and already the account balance reflects what you have spent), so when I got to England I would check my balance and think, great I’ve still got x amount not realising that things could take a week to show up :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: I ended up overdrawn with very cranky letters from my bank, how was I to know how hopeless the system was!

Tory I can assure you the UK banking system ain’t like that now. Hence my frustration when comparing things here. I find it extraordinary “I need to ask my person at the bank”. And these will be (in all probability) one-off virements, not something to a family member, just returning a security deposit on the gite. No, Transferwise is the way to go. :slight_smile:

When I first came to France ten years ago I opened my first bank account with CA.
Had problems the first month understanding their system. On my first statement
I had four entries

Intervention: 35 euro charge
Intervention: " "

Went into see what these charges were for. I had asked to speak with a supervisor as
I had questions the nice kid at the desk could not answer. Changed banks the next day.
Went to La Poste; a fantastic bank; NO charges for speaking with anyone regardless of
their level of expertise. No charge for incoming or outgoing wires etc… Ten years later still LOVE them. Get a new bank… I do realize this is off topic.

What a lot of people tend to forget is that when you put your money in CA, it then becomes their money, and they don’t like giving it back without a fight :thinking:

Funny, we have been with CA nearly twenty years now and have no problems. Yes sometimes we have to phone to organise things, but that can be more efficient and faster than faffing around with apps and two-stage authentication and remembering codes and waiting for our rubbish network to squeeze a few bits of information out.

1 Like

Hello Karin

I notice your Registration does not show your full name.

Please could you put your First and Last Name as per our Terms and Conditions…

(I’ve a feeling we’ve already asked you… a while ago).

If you’re not sure how to do this, simply put your First and Last Name here on this thread and I’ll amend your Regn for you…

cheers

1 Like

Hello Stella,

Sorry, thanks for your e-mail.

I am karin marie mansfield.

1 Like

Easily done for transfers to French accounts - setup almost immediately and once done transfers happen just as quickly.

Transferring money as Euros to non-French accounts is almost as painless but sometimes takes 24 hours longer to set up the recipent details.

Been able to transfer money from CA to our Lloyds account at a click of a button, no fees at either end. Exchange rate not the best but given the convenience and abscence of any fees very acceptable.

Interestingly even once a virement is set up it takes 3 or 4 days to transfer from one CA account to another at the same branch. It is quicker to use Transferwise from the U.K.

That’s why the exchange rate is not the best, as they factor in the “fee”.

It’s on the next page once you’ve selected a virement simple.

Thanks for the thought Jane. Sadly it’s not.