Setting up French TV for UK apps and Freesat

I’ve just stumbled on “Pluto TV” and realised they seem to have entire channels devoted to the Six Million Dollar Man, the Bionic Woman, Mission Impossible, The Incredible Hulk, Monkey and Hawaii Five-O.

I can immerse myself in that lot and pretend I’m ten again :slight_smile:

Otherwise it’s a pile of sh*t (including the above if I’m honest) - the only thing Waters got wrong is it’s now more like 13,000 channels of sh*t on the TV to choose from.

3 Likes

It’s probably more interesting than watching the telly, to be honest.

If the BBC licence was pay per view, I could save a lot. Barely anything of interest to me on TV these days. Just a little that my wife likes to watch otherwise we would be joining the no TV licence millions.

That was nearly 50 years ago…

Joking aside I think there is some decent drama on TV nowadays - witness the recommendations in Your film or TV series recomendations (2021 and on TV binge or the fact that how to access UK TV while in France is a fairly regular question/topic on this and other “Anglophones in France” groups (I hesitate to use the “E” word).

The trouble is that it is too spread out, on demand is great but sitting down to “find something to watch” is impossible. When you had 5 channels and a copy of the Radio//TV times it was fairly simple - you watched what was on or, to paraphrase the title of an annoying 70’s kids programme - went and did something less boring instead.

Now you have linear TV channels but even Freesat alone has about 60+ distinct channels (not counting the “plus 1’s”) - then there are the main streaming platforms and finally the “every channel you ever thought of” platforms to go on top. You could spend 24/7 ploughing through listings without finding something to watch.

So in the end we tend to limit it to the “Big 5” and their streaming/VoD platforms and Prime and that’s about it.

And?

1 Like

Progress :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I understand. I’m not a petrol head but a show similar to top gear would be popular.
Also Click during prime time-ish, a la Tomorrrow’s World, and a music chart show.
Or am I just being dinosauric? All that stuff is available somewhere, but I’d like it packaged and presented for my easy viewing.
I’m talking BBC specific here.

EDIT to add, Billybutcher sums it up really,
“The trouble is that it is too spread out, on demand is great but”
It’s the new way, I suppose. TV is no longer socially unifying. One more thing that makes me realise I’m old and out of touch. :sob:

1 Like

If you haven’t watched it already try the new Grand Tour.

Yes I to couldn’t believe they axed Click.

I watch a lot of YouTube these days and there’s usually something interesting and entertaining there, though the algorithm throws a lot of poor recommendations at you.

Jeremy Clarkson business in liquidation now ‘finalised’ https://share.google/ePd2nd02YNyfQ1L6T

Well it’s only the old production company for GT - not exactly a surprise as Clarkson doesn’t have any further need of it.

Ditto … I suspect it’s more like trout fishing … for someone not particularly interested in eating fish.

On reflection, maybe it wouldn’t be so popular now that the electric car age has arrived.
No VROOM-VROOM, screechy braking, smelly petrol , etc. I won’t even go to self-driving cars. The ICE automobile age is over and p-heads won’t change to being battery heads.

I have the older Z8 Pro and can confirm that it does indeed allow recording of programs via the MyTVOnline app… not that I would do such things, of course!

1 Like

Is it illegal? Wouldn’t surprise me, as in ‘rights’.

Yes, MyTVOnline is an IPTV player. And using IPTV is illegal.

The Formuler box can run other apps such as BBC iPlayer, Netflix, etc… but it’s MyTVOnline that allows you to schedule programs to be recorded.

Interestingly, although you can use MyTVOnline to watch shows on catch-up (provided your IPTV subscription allows for that) then you cannot record the programs. It’s only if you schedule recording in advance… and you can’t record one channel whilst simultaneously watching another.

Ça dépend as they say.

There is nothing inherently illegal about IPTV - and there are quite a few completely free to watch services which fund themselves from advertising revenue (the aforementioned Pluto, for example), and other channels which are legitimately available.

Using IPTV to circumvent the need to pay a subscription, or to avoid geoblocking - well, that’s either illegal or “grey area” at best.

Obviously I’m a UK licence player, as is @GusMorris, so as far as I am concerned watching via a VPN (especially one which simply routes via my UK ISP) is not inherently different from watching on my phone with a UK SIM installed.

2 Likes

That’s down to the service provider rather than the app. Most providers limit you to one connection but some will sell you multiple concurrent connections so that you can concurrently watch on multiple devices or watch and record at the same time.

Well, yes, I was using the term in the sense of the gazillion channels watched on dodgy Firesticks bought from a bloke down the pub :smiley:

2 Likes