Severe Faceache

Hoi you can’t say that I might get offended :rofl: Although I am so I won’t :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Eeek David no way too close! Max 4 doses per day, so 6 hours apart, and as said above minimum 4 hours, but you MUST not exceed the 4 doses / day.

Was on phone to my dentist office today for my sons wisdom teeth. She can’t get him in until January as dentist on holidays next week. She said if bad to call 15 on Sunday and ask for the dentiste de garde. That way he’ll be seen soon. This could be an option for you too. Let me know if I can help.

3 Likes

Of course, there’s also the “medecin de garde”… for emergency consulations “out of hours” … dial 15.

Except in Corsica, Normandy and Pay de Lore when it is 116 117

1 Like

Yes lesson learned, but that overdose must have scared the life out of the infection, steadily worse to an absolute max in 4 days, and then with one bound it was gone. :rofl:

I know it doesn’t work like that but too late to worry now and I won’t let it happen again. :wink:

3 Likes

Interesting link explaining the “out of hours” cover by Doctors and Health Centres.
116 117 is the “free” special telephone number to use (unless very urgent health problem when it would be 15)
Médecin de garde : comment en trouver à proximité ?.

Comment savoir qui est le médecin de garde ?

"Afin de désengorger le 15 , qui est le numéro à appeler pour les urgences graves , le ministère de la Santé a mis en place un numéro unique pour toute la France pour trouver un médecin de garde à proximité . Il vous suffit de composer le 116 117 .

Vous pouvez entrer en contact avec des médecins généralistes volontaires qui sont là pour vous conseiller et vous orienter. Ils peuvent vous aider à organiser une consultation en présentiel en maison médicale de garde, organiser une visite à domicile ou vous orienter vers les services des urgences, si nécessaire. "

"Qui appeler en cas de douleur la nuit ?

Le 15 est le numéro à appeler en cas d’urgence médicale mais aussi lorsque vous avez un problème de santé survenant le soir ou le week-end . Vous serez mis en relation avec des médecins de garde qui pourront vous proposer une consultation en présentiel ou une téléconsultation.

Si votre problème est une urgence vitale ou grave, le SAMU pourra vous envoyer une ambulance ou vous demander de vous rendre directement à l’hôpital."

1 Like

I was told to 'phone 15 at 8.30am on Sunday if I needed a dentist urgently.

Yep, folk still have 15 “in their heads”… and that’s fair enough. It’s always been the number to phone in such cases…

It’s all explained in the link…

Hello David, I do hope you are keeping safe and well. After reading all the replies. This is getting serious, and you need to escalate to get someone to take you to the A&E. The Heath System in France is Outstanding. I had to visit A&E several times due to a sports injury. Gum infections may also lead to abscess formation. Abscesses require prompt treatment entailing drainage by a dentist. When left untreated, gum infections may lead to further complications. Alternatively, bacteria causing gum infection may also enter the bloodstream causing severe medical emergencies. I do not want to frighten you, but please seek medical help & support. Excellent advice is being offered to you by other members on the chat.

Thank you for your concern and advice @bibi_lindsay , but the crisis is over, the gum has returned to normal with no residual loose flesh and absolutely no after effects. I had a good night’s sleep last night with no interruption 'till waking naturally. I think if I were to go to the Urgence in this state, with all the necessary disruption and re-organisation of my duties at home, I would be given pretty short shrift with nothing to show for it.

I have had an infection in the gum under a dead tooth elsewhere for some years now without any side effects and to put right that situation is the reason for my now arranged dentist visit in February so this very competant man can check out this latest problem then.

I will try on Monday again to get a, non-urgent, rdv with the doctor just to be sure but I am not alarmed as both the pharmacist and the cabinet are aware of the presence, and now disappearance, of the infection and have not considered it worthy of urgent action.

I really do appreciate your concern, and don’t wish to appear dismissive, but feel that the correct course of action now is the one I have outlined. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hmmmm. It sounds as if you might have had an abscess that burst. So the pain will go away, but doesn’t mean that all is well as the infection most likely remains. And will most likely slowly build up again. Do leep trying to get a rdv with the doctor and perhaps ask for prophylactic antibiotics in case it kicks off over the christmas;new year period?

May be worth getting an antiseptic mouthwash, or gargling with warm salty water, to try to keep your mouth as bacteria free as possible

1 Like

I agree that this is most sensible, Christine mentioned TCP that we used to have in England but I don’t think it is on sale here. I’ll check with the pharmacy tomorrow and/or use the warm salt gargle. She mentioned that too. Even if I can’t get a rdv I may manage to get the cabinet to get the doctor to leave me an ordonnance for antibiotics. That has been done before with something else for Fran. :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: Just had a look and TCP is actually French and marketed under that name in UK. I also see Listerine Bain de Bouche is available. I’ll check it out in the morning at the phamacie or s/market.

There’s synthol as well which I think is similar.

Thank you, I’ll explain and ask tomorrow. :smiley:

I am happy to hear that you are feeling much better.

Most dentists and GP will prescribe Corsodyl Mouthwash in the UK, this is an over-the-counter medication. Just to be on the safe side, see if you can see a doctor to ensure that everything is ok.
Stay Safe.

Eludril Pro is the equivalent in France (has to be the Pro, the non-Pro is very weak)

1 Like

Thank you for this, Jane.

Corsodyl was an indispensable gargle to ward off repeat bouts of tonsillitis. My stock from UK is all but exhausted, so I am happy to learn from you of a substitute.

Hexetidene is what the pharmacist advised when I explained that I had had an abcess, now gone, but wanted to use an anti-septic mouthwash to be sure. So I bought some for about a fiver. :smiley: