Sexuality - Who Cares!

Only you would know Peter :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Too deep for me Wozza. I’m a profoundly shallow person :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

surely that’s an oxymoron

There’s nothing oxydental about me being a moron, Paul, it’s a labour of love for me. :upside_down_face:

I for one am sick of people shoving their ‘preferences’ down my throat, as if they had a right to inflict such knowledge on the world at large.
Can’t they just do what they want in private, and leave the rest of us in peaceful ignorance?
You can’t ‘un-know’ something, but I for one wish I could.
People are kind and accepting, or bigoted and judgemental - sharing such private issues just brings out the worst aspects of possibly an otherwise peaceful co-existence.
The mis-use of explanatory terms just displays an ignorance of language that really grates on my nerves - see, peaceful co-existence shattered.

2 Likes

It shouldn’t matter but it does. I introduced myself to the Church of England priest near my home and he replied saying I was unhealthy and unnatural. When I protested and demanded and explanation and an apology the priest barred me from the church. What did the Bishop do? Nothing, just told me it was a local issue.

The church does not care.

Yes it is important.

Ghastly… how long ago was this, Christopher??

I have a great deal of sympathy with this heartfelt opinion. I’m by no means a reticent person as my posts reveal. But forums and social media do make it relatively easy and safe to unburden oneself to others: there is enough anonymity to make disclosure possible.

But some people find other people’s disclosures burdensome and hard to deal with. This is not an aberration, it’s a matter of temperament. I think it’s right to be reminded of this fact. It is possible that the current tolerance of, and even encouragement to ‘let it all hang out’ is misplaced, and that boundaries may need to be redrawn.

1 Like

It would perhaps be good if this was decades ago but it was 12th July 2018 in Brittany, France. I wrote to the new priest Robin Adams to welcome him to the Region. I do not hide the fact that I am gay and I have a partner. Unfortunately my partner lives in Paris because of work and I am rarely at home in Brittany because I work for an international Aid Charity. My job is to support refugee children, whatever their faith.

Since 2018 my partner and I have been trying to meet Robin Adams of Christ Church in Brittany to try to understand his thinking behind his remarks. Each time we seem to get near a meeting he produces some reason why it cannot happen and now we are barred from attending or contacting the congregation at his Church.

All we can hope is that when his 3 year term of office ends that he will disappear and that when we are both in Brittany we can start to attend the local church which is 5kms from our home.

Most of the time we attend the American Cathedral in Paris and I attend the Anglican Church in whatever city I am present. This Sunday it will be St George’s in Kingston, Jamaica.

Take a look at http://lgbtstruggles.org for more information.

3 Likes

It must be incredibly hard for people who’s sexuality is frowned upon by their church when that church professes love for all of humanity - but not if you happen to be gay or bi/pan/transexual or, basically, do “it” in anything other than the missionary position with your (opposite sex) spouse.

As if the church, especially  the Catholic Church, had any moral right to comment (I realise that Chris is not Catholic). Plank in your own eye before speck in your brother’s and all that (Matthew 7:5 for the observant).

As an atheist (well, strictly agnostic; it’s complex) I do not understand the Christian Church’s attitude to LGBT+ individuals - they preach that God has made us all, and loves us all so surely to God the Church should have no problem with what we do in bed - but they manifestly do.

Hypocritical does not even begin to describe the (Christian) Church’s attitude.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t limit hypocrisy to the christian religion. I’ve met religious leaders and members of many faiths who are hypocritical bigots. For me faith often appears to be a synonym for arrogantly believing you know better and are better than others.

However, there are some truly good people. A gay friend of ours committed suicide. His husband, a devout catholic, was distraught. However the local priest agreed for the funeral to be held in the local cathedral, which he led beautifully, and he was buried in a local catholic cemetery. Perhaps Rome wouldn’t have been pleased, but the priest was only concerned about local people.

3 Likes

I am appalled to hear of this man’s attitude and behaviour … so very, very wrong.

Like you, I hope he moves on … and soon…

Doesn’t surprise me, they’re a funny old lot down there. I’m glad I’m a pure dumpling from Gods county just to the north !

1 Like

Did you ever visit the Jolly Butcher in Norwich… ??? :wink:

Blimey, that’s going back a bit !

I was/am a big blues fan (jazz less so) so that den of iniquity was like a Mecca.

Used to listen to the music then pop along to Captain Americas for some nosh.

Great days.

1 Like

Was that in the time of Black Anna… ??? :upside_down_face: I’m humming one of her songs even as I write…

Surely you must mean "of colour Anna":sleeping::astonished::joy:

Ha ha… definitely not… she was Black Anna !!!

anyway… I heard her in the early-mid 60’s… (gosh how time flies)

True, I am more familiar with Christian teachings but, as you say, many religions preach tolerance in theory but fail to tolerate those who are “different” in any way in practice.

The Catholics are particularly egregious though.

The Jolly Butchers is now an office for a local charity, walked past it only two weeks ago.