Sexuality - Who Cares!

“She was particularly considerate of her many homosexual customers, in the days when the law was stacked against them. The fact that she also ran the last Common Lodging House in the City (“doss-house”), which was of much benefit to the local Police (in relieving the pressure on their cells), may have had much to do with the sense of security felt by the gay community. Of course, and in turn, it was much to do with the success of the pub business.”

Must say… I didn’t give a thought to the sexuality of those who, like me, were having a wonderful time … singing along … it was a great night out!!

[quote] @JaneJones:
For me faith often appears to be a synonym for arrogantly believing you know better and are better than others.
[/quote] (Edited as wrongly attributed)

I think people ‘choose’ their religions on the same basis as they ‘choose’ their super/hypermarkets. On what they grew up with (habit); on ease of access; on price; on customer service (friendliness/familiarity).

Like supermarkets, a wide range of attractively marketed ‘products’ are also key, with no 'gaps in in availability, catering for all tastes, as are tangible loyalty schemes, seasonal novelties, cleanliness, pleasing, uncluttered design and ‘roominess’ but with cosy corners.

Again, as with other forms of retail service, churches and temples do well if there is no overt pressure to ‘buy’ anything, but lots of tempting choice 'to suit you and your budgets; and open 24/7 is a winner, even if you don’t use the openness yourself. You can buy everything you want, packaged the way you like it, and no-one will challenge your choice, only praise and validate it.

Successful grand surfaces manifest cultural diversity and inclusiveness, at least superficially (but noticeably). Religions are generally less successful in this respect, but are learning.

Retail and religion have a lot in common. There will always be a market in both.

Careful with your attribution Peter - that comment was Jane’s, not mine.

Not sure I agree with your theories on “choosing” religion.

1 Like

Sorry about that, Paul. Have edited it.

I was tempted to add, sexual tendencies other than hetero are not much catered for in the mainstream of retail services, if at all. There maybe a niche. It’s “Don’t tell, won’t ask”. I’ve yet to see gay-oriented birthday cards in any mainstream retail outlets, not that there oughtn’t to be, of course.

Plenty of same sex wedding cards in the Uk

1 Like

Glad to hear it, Mary ! :revolving_hearts::couple_with_heart_man_man::couple_with_heart_woman_woman::male_sign::male_sign::female_sign::female_sign:

I don’t think she is a LibDem PM, but who cares ? She is only a LibDem MP.