SFN Brains Trust

Hi Terry, Jean-Guillaume wasn't anyone famous in this case but was an ancestor of the first owner of the tabac. there are various famous ones but as far as we're aware he wasn't one of them, I'll ask again later today when we're there, it ought to "le Gambetta" as it's in place Gambetta but there's already a bar of the same name... carmaux is just north of Albi (18km) travelling back up to Rodez and the Aveyron. about the same distance east of Cordes too. small town of 12000 inhabitants, old mining area like Decazeville where we are at the moment and glass industry centre. Very "normal", nothing to write home about but loads of people smoke so the figures are excellent...!

Going off track as usual ... who is/was Jean Guillaume, Andrew? And where exactly twixt Albi and Cordes is this?

Hi Gang..I don't have the inclination to trawl back and 'copy' link all the little gems of advice I ( we ) have benefitted from....but here's a for instance.

Last year I floated a query into the Motor Cycle group, asking if any one had an idea of how to 'trickle' feed electricity to the battery of my Beemer Bike, as we had no EDF in the rented garage... some 5kms away. Expecting at best a 'Roady do a gizmo... but you have to charge it from home'... one of Guys suggested a roof mounted 'solar' panel with a cable fed into the Bike!!!! ...Prices 49.99e...links, the whole shooting match.

Absolutely GENIUS!!!! ( thanks again ) But seriously, someone out there ( as is the case on SFN ) had taken the time to think about a resolve, research it, and post it up!!! Google's good....but not that sort of service!!

sorry I only know a couple of people... Brian, Andrew and a few others, but I do think that Nick who's post on the issue of Bi Polar, shows what a great and supportive network this is. Thank you all.

Great responses all, and respe' to the Brains mentioned to date. I have to echo Andrew's comment and say that I feel there is a genuine 'community' spirit on SFN which far outweighs the 'virtual'.

I doff my cap to all who have helped and advised me: The Bikers, The Musos, The Geeks, my Cohorts on the 'Art' scene.. but one unsung hero, ( with whom I am privileged to enjoy and open Channel 'D' ) is so spot on and tirelessly helpful... the man himself... JH!

Dude!

Cheers Ron ;-)

See what I mean!!! Good luck Ace Ventura!

Ha ha Sheila - this is France, there's a week's training with the douanes (they control the entire tabac market in France), another course because there's a licence to sell alcoholic drinks, another one with the français des jeux and all those are compulsory and paying! then there's a weeks free course at the CCI but having worked there already and given the content I think I'll skip that one. The accountant wants me to do a few days on the accountancy software they use. fortunately there's no presse or pmu so there are two others I won't have to do...! then there'll be a month with the existing owners to get up to speed with the computerised till, ordering etc market day sees over 1000 clients through the door so there's no time for fannying about and I don't want to mess up the fortnightly order of fags of around 45,000€ ! Daft little shop selling fag and loto tickets but a steep learning curve :-O

just started thundering here, no wind either ;-)

You must forgive my ignorance, but what training? I give you a tenner and you give me a pack of cigs and the change! :-) However, seriously, I hope it all goes well, and likewise, if in the Aude, come and see us! No wind for the last 2 weeks, btw.

Many thanks and I second Tracy ;-)

Thanks Sheila, it'll take us most of the summer to sort everything out (training courses, customs, notaire, accountants...!) but we should be in there for september if anyone wants to call in when passing through the Tarn, not far from Albi and Cordes-sur-ciel... ;-)

Yes, good luck! x

Well I'm adding Tracy Thurling for consistently sane, good, polite, helpful, quality advice.

The very best of luck to you and the family Andrew.

Ha ha, just seen this one Ron - my head's swelled so much I've had to open the window ={:-O

Like Brian, I'm just here to help when I can and enjoy the community atmosphere here, I can't always help either and as for knowing my business, Brian's already taken the words out of my mouth - Finn's your man, I'll accept being his adjoint ;-)

As for the next venture - signed the compromis in Albi yesterday, now looking for a scarey sized bank loan (a few hundred thousand € !) all to be spending hte rest of my life in this little gem...

Please allow me a little more modesty. I am willing to open my large 'trap' on many things, things I know have accumulated over a lifetime in some cases, at least many years in most, otherwise I say nothing. In my professional fields I am a so-called expert and proud of that but wish to use those skills for the good of my fellow beings only. I am, in general, not afraid to have a opinion and also not for that opinion to be wrong. As for saying who is whatever, well there are many including names here but do not, not, not omit Finn Skovgaard (hope I've spelled it right from memory) who really does his homework before he expresses something.