SFN is changing - can you help?

Many years ago I was working on the Kentucky Fried Chicken advertising account when McDonald's decided to do fried chicken as well. The client was not best pleased at them muscling in on their territory so they decided to branch out as well. So we came up with KFC but to keep the Colonel (redesigned) to turn them from a single product company.

SFN could go the same way as the site has now matured, as you suggest, but you would still need a descriptor under the logo as an explanation of what the site is for so Survive or Surviving would still be needed. Maybe SFN could be re-branded Alphabet........no, that wouldn't work as BMW has that name and nobody would think of using it without checking if the name was already being used?

Thank you so much Shirley. It’s the process in how to go about it that I was struggling with. I’ll definitely give your suggestion a try.

It always makes me think of Eddie Stobbart. When Edward Stobbart was asked if he would have changed anything if he was starting over again, he replied, 'Yes, the name. Eddie Stobbart Transport is too long. I wish we had called ourselves EST. we would have saved a fortune in sign writing.'

SFN would do fine. Everybody recognises FIFA, FIAT AND NASCAR without actually needing to know what the acronyms mean.

I totally agree with the point in your last paragraph John which is why I dislike the word "Survive" being part of the name. Could we just do what British Airports Authority did when they started calling themselves BAA and refer to the site as SFN ?

There is a big difference between updating a website and rebranding. Survive France Network is just that, changing the name would be a big change. It is one of the better known names and is accessible to read by non members. People get a chance to see what it is all about before becoming involved. I’m not sure that some of the advertisers would be too pleased if the site name changed and had to build up its popularity under a new name.
One of the things that has worried me in the past few weeks is that many of the headline posts have been anti France and the French. I get the impression that the majority of contributors celebrate living in France and it is important that newcomers to the site get that message as well.

I actually agree Sean. 'Survive' does sound a bit 'desperate' when you think of it not to say a bit negative. I thought the same as you when James started the topic but i've changed my mind reading other peoples views and realise the title says a lot.

When you compare the name 'Survive France Network' to other expat forums like 'Anglo Info' which sounds a bit dull and uninspiring as a title and the equally baffling (to me anyway) 'French Entrée' name maybe SFN isn't far off the mark ?

Good idea but NO blind dates please Shirley !

I'm getting quite persnickety in my dotage ...

I totally agree that life takes unexpected turns, we've been here 22 years so had some of those! All I meant was that by including the word Survive in the title it narrows the appeal/catchment potential of the website by implying that this is a place to help one survive problems experienced rather than a general exchange of views/tip. But if it was designed merely to be a "Help you survive the downside" website, then the name is spot on :) I am probably being linguistically pedantic...

:slight_smile: Peter , perhaps a Pals page, god knows we almost all need pals, where Dating could be made a discussion or Topic title for Claire A R!

Susan N may i suggest that when you put a question like that, i.e, dancing venues, say where you are or near, in your new discussion Title, i.e looking for dance venues in, or nr …? Or title it, “Who likes Dancing?” Then when you write the discussion content you can expand on what exactly what you are looking for and where.

Just asking the question in the middle of an unrelated discussion is not likely to grab attention, but the new discussion title will. So go to main page, social, discussions, then click on add discussion and follow instructions! hope this helps :slight_smile:

I think you are spot on Shirley. But 'survival' isn't just about expats, it's for the indigenous population too. Times are hard and many are struggling as the poverty gap widens. Yep, 'survival' is the right word...

Sorry Sean, but its not all roses and honey in france when life takes an unexpected turn, and you find yourself in completely unexpectedly changed circumstances, so yes it is a question of Survival if you are alone! Im probably one of the few people on SFN, who, through circumstance and opportunity have moved 3 times from 1st home here in 2.5 years, and being on my own, very kften need and re eive willingly advice from other members!

No one wants to read hard luck or sad stories, but as in life anywhere, s**t happens! When it does you have to try and survive and Get out of it! so please consider the title from that angle as well!

No James my last comment on ad size was not answering Suzannes comment re Tor Fx, where its just appeared on a different, page as last comment on topic, showing her comment also under discussion heading! either that or someones messing with my connection again, tho the livebox name Has a locked symbol by it!

But re Colours:- please remember we dont all have 20/20 vision, harder colours are more noticable and easier to look at for me. the current trend especially on TV and some pages on internet, using 2 pastel colours, one on tp of the other for the writing, makes it impossible to read the words! On ipad i can adjust brilliance, etc., to suit me, but its the depth of colour or lack of that can cause problems.

Bright luminous light hurts my eyes and has done since haemorrhage, and recent cataracts removal, despite near perfect reading vision without glasses now - yes colours are problem for some of us.

It would just be easier if the space the ads occupy could be made smaller, to which james answers may be like this:-) possibly - probably - perhaps one day!

If you are asking for a dance floor to be fitted in the forum I think you should have another glass of wine.

It depends, blog posts work differently to discussions! One reason for the simplifications.

I haven’t a clue when it comes to IT and I don’t know if you’ll get this. I don’t live in France but have a tiny house which I bring friends to and have tried to request places to dance either modern jive or tango in the past but never get a response, so if you could make it clearer as to what to do that would be great. Thanks

:)

Sorry, read Kit as kit!

Kit's comment at the top of this page Chris