Should I go or should I stay?

plenty of us have made things works for us in buisness....NOT Richard Bransons

or Simon Cowels but enterprising.

Is life not what you make it? I believe it is.

But as I have said before we are all diffrent.

NOT everyone in UK is young dependant on take away Pizzas or

whatever. Not every one here is old and snoring all day.

*Like*

(Though the pets are probably cute too!)

no....concentrate on the hot boyfriend!

Don't worry too much about the pets - concentrate on the hot French boyfriend!! That is my advice anyway!!

I definatly don't want to discourage you, don't get me wrong, France is a lovely place to be BUT for hollidays. Think vacation only in France! I've been here for 5 years and I have had some grest times but that was when traveling. I wouldn't come here for work because the French are very closed when it comes to giving jobs, they just prefer to give there jobs to natives so that they all can complain together (in French) because that is just what they do. I gave up my job in graphic design to come to France and ended up teaching!!! You got that right.

I have been thinking soo hard as what to do next, how to get my arse out of here now?!!
But first I will order a pizza and content myself that way with my really hot FRENCH bofriend!
I will have to bring hom with me and all our pets. But for one thing how do I bring my pets back to the states?!

I respect that Carol, sorry it doesn't work for you, it does for me whereas the UK just doesn't do it for me and the last time I went back 2 years ago I felt like a foreigner and just couldn't wait to get home again. I did leave the UK because I'd had enough plus I'd already lived and studied in France and I wanted to come back and live here. We're all very different and looking for very different things in very different situations...each to his own ;-)

We came to France as a plan....its not the place I thought it was...the cost of living is so much higher than it was...earning money almost impossible...and foreigners are not treated equally...sorry...but they are not...you only have to be aware that the French will employ French in preference to anyone else...if you say well thats fine...it isnt according to the rules the French and Germans wrote for the European Common Market...we are supposed to be able to move throughout Europe and work....without discrimination..... it could take a long time for us to sell up and move back..thus my thoughts about doing anything to keep me going till we get back. The UK is fine...the countryside lovely and its possible to earn a good living and live very well in the UK...easier in fact to do that in the UK than France. I love France...but as a holiday destination...I didnt leave the UK because I didnt like it...I thought life could be better in France...for us it just isnt...

I completely agree Carol. I live in London and it is a great city but I am also lucky because my boyfriend's family are farmers in the West Country so we spend most weekends there.

France is not the same as it was years ago either and the French old people moan about how things have changed for the worst in the same way as people on this site do.

Barbara, London is not England. Paris is not France. Milan is not Italy. You could right the same about just about any city.You don't have to be rich to live in London unless you want to eat out every night and go to the threatre every week. I am not rich but I very much enjoy my life in London. You seem like you have not been to the English countryside for a long time. It is beautiful and everyone grows their own produce there too. In the village where my boyfriend's family live lots of people have joined together to raise pigs and sheep to eat. I have never seen that happen in France.

I do love France but I find England much more dynamic and vibrant. France is to retire to. England is for liveing. Just my view

Second that - keep at it Emily, you'll get there in the end and things will look and seem so much better - take it from Tracy and me - once things are sorted, you'll never want to leave, I think I can safely say that for you too Tracy ;-)

Oh that made me grin Emily, you will find find a way to earn some of your own money somehow.

I was tampted to say that too Tracy - the average salary in France is 1500 euros a month and from memory that's brut!!!

Here's some interesting reading:

http://www.salairemoyen.com/france.php

But most people over here don't even earn £1600 a month!

You're spot on Emily which is why the government have stopped paying for people who refuse to take the generic alternative etc. And I have to admit to asking my doctor to persribe me some doliprane while he's at it so I don't have to buy them myself - yes that sounds barking mad and the world on it's head but that's how it works here - try it yourself next time ;-)

another side of provence that Peter Mayle forgot to write about. I can remember feeling uneasy in Marseille and even Aix at times. Unfortunately it's the image of the South that we have here in the Aveyron, family who live in Carcassonne only confirm it, their tabac-presse has been broken into more times than I can remember, building materials were stolen regularly when they were building their hotel (and the site was supposedly guarded!). they've been there 20 odd years now but are talking about retiring back home to the Aveyron!

So if London is fab why are you concidering opening a buisness over here.

i have young friends in Cornwall who long to be here....

I think that London is Fab if you can live your life with

your eyes closed and feel no emotion...METHATHORICLY SPEAKING.

You need bags of money and a good way to find it/make it....not so easy.

Here in the countryside we can grow some of our produce and live a life

which L

leads us away from material desires.

It is great to go out to the theatre and nice restaurants but do we need to indulge that often.

I STILL come to London but with open eyes..

I have lots of friends in and around central London. One has lost most

of his restaurants, another had to close his law centre and work for someone. Both he and his wife work....they get by...

One or 2 of my friends are rich and for them they only need to attend to their health and hope that their kids will find time for them.

The glamour some people see is the make-up....WHICH I saw through so long ago.

We are all different.

By the way I found masses of red tape in Uk....chaotic tax office

It is always there....WE JUST have to deal with it...PART of life like

bad builders and dodgy bankers.

We got stuck in snow about 6 years ago in Brittany - changed our 8 hour journey home (to Belgium) into a 13 hour journey home!! Amazingly the Pompiers came along in their HUGE wheeled tender (NOT a Fire ENgine) making sure everyone had food and water, especially the old and those with young children!! Never seen that in UK!!

sounds like the activities you may expect in some of the sink estates in the UK....perhaps not something we connect with the peaceful and expensive Luberon... just goes to prove...there is no perfect country...they all have their good and bad problems...hope you are not affected Finn....

it still is Barbara....not the same as the 60s...but then the 60s were not the same as the 40s...my dad told me that....but the UK is fine....we are in Cornwall right now and its beautiful....back in Berks tomorrow...and was in London several times recently....saw a couple of fabulous plays and saw the Leonardo exhibition...heaven....London is still fab...

My brother and sister in law live in Plaistow....and have done for 40 years...the community in their bit...is amazingly close...just like living in a village...a grandchild had a birthday there recently and nearly 30 neighbours turned up.... thats a part of London considered iffy....just shows...a lot of life I guess is a case of getting out what you put in....

Just pulling your leg James - we all know that large cities in both countries have their fair share of violent crime, I did a couple of years in the met in Plaistow and East Ham and saw the riots in Brixton in the mid 80s and was in Broadwater farm the day after Keith Blacklock was murdered, I was young, not small, did weight training and martial arts at the time, but I was very, very scared :-O I left the met not long after having spent months as one of Maggie's boot boys at wapping !