Sky Cards EU

Thanks for the info Simon.

Hope the set-up is idiot-proof cos' i'm an idiot !

The suspicious bit is the router. We have Sky through NSAT. No router ever been offered. No problems with the service and the supply boxes.

Please email or PM me too if that is OK?

I have been a good girl and now read back through all the posts!And checked my internet download speed - 8.99mb/s! Wow! Still happy with my Sky+ though as it takes me AGES to watch things I've recorded! Just wish it was available cheaper. Ideally I'd like IPTV with subtitles (bad ears and a noisy child) and recording facility! I'm sure this will be available one day! Btw, if you haven't already watched it, new series started on Sky Living last night - Blind Spot - after watching the first episode, it looks like it might be quite good, albeit a one series wonder!

Nicole you're welcome! I tend to watch most things within 14 days of it airing so the 'catch-up' facility suits me fine. I just use BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4OD, SkyGo etc for anything older.

Alan Hi - I've posted all the details further on in the post. Yes I get Sky History 1, Sky History 2, National Geographic and National Geographic Wild - plus all the Discovery Channels etc.

Hi Simon

I have sent a friend request as i also would like further information. Can you get History channel and National Geographic?

Regards: Alan

I live my life by Sky +ing everything, which is why I asked about functionality. For me, this is worth paying the premium. Wouldn't it be nice if all of this became 'cross-border simpler' one day?! I don't watch any French TV these days (11 years with French bloke now over so I have the run of the TV!) so would happily not pay my rédevance audiovisuel and pay the Beeb's licence. Thank you for your info. :)

Nicole - I posted all the details of the company I use earlier on (currently page 3) - there are lots of other companies out there - just make sure your internet speed in at least 3Mbps. The functionality will be just as good if not better. The only main difference is no ability to record but...I do have 14 day catch up on all the main channels which does the job superbly.

My life is so frenetic I've never looked into changing. But you have whetted my appetite! Who do you use and is the functionality the same as the service I currently receive?

Ok got you - but you did mention 'dodgy'.

Anyway - even with the INSAT entertainments only package you're paying around 715€ / annum minimum. I pay around 235€ / annum all in - which includes all premium channels. Still - so long as you're happy :-)

No you do not pay a BBC licence living in France but if you have a proxy UK address apparently you should. It is possible that your provider is including a proxy address, therefore making you theoretically liable. The whole business is full of sharks. Simon has said the rest of that.

I only have the entertainment package and I'm quite happy with what I pay. I've been here 13 years so the cost of dish/box has amortised over that time. I was replying to the original post above. I don't think anyone is dodgy! :)

Nicole - WHO don't want you to contact Sky directly?

INSAT International are just like all the other satellite providers - they provide the UK address for your card - nothing new there. You must be paying them a fortune - 210€ (£150) / annum to Insat, 1080€ (£64.50 pm)/ annum to Sky for the full pacakage plus the cost of the box / dish etc - nightmare ! No wonder you think they are dodgy!

Much easier and much cheaper to use an IPTV supplier if you have good internet speeds.

It sounds to me like they are a satellite hosting company. I use INSAT International and pay a small premium on top of my regular Sky subscription to receive Sky here in France (I don't have a UK address I can use).

The only reason this might sound dodgy is because it IS illegal to receive UK channels outside of the UK, where all the licencing etc is controlled and monitored. Another note to point out - do you pay a BBC licence fee, living in France?

So no wonder they don't want you to contact Sky directly! (Although the cynic in me sometimes wonders if you traced these companies right back to their grass roots ownership, whether that owner would actually be Sky!)

Yes, I understand that, but not everyone has a decent internet download speed.

Maureen - your info is great for those wanting to view only free-to-air channels via satellite.

This discussion has mainly been about access to Sky (or other providers) premium channels other than via satellite dishes e.g. via IPTV - no cards, no dishes, no Smart TV's, no PC's, No Humax boxes, No Digiboxes. All for a fraction of the cost Sky charge.

You do not need an Sky card to view UK TV in France. I have three boxes in my home, two Sky boxes have cards, and occasionally they do need to be renewed. The last time I bought a free to air sky card, I paid around £90, I do not know how much they cost today. You can buy a new Humax box for less than that, and it does not need a card, and you have nothing more to pay, it is free from here on in.

I live in Provence and I have bought a Humax Freesat Box to replace the sky box needing card renewal, it is far better than the sky card, it updates it's self automatically. The box I bought, I can record other channels whilst watching TV.

My friend has just bought a Humax box from Curry's UK, she lives in Provence, the reception is great. The only thing is you have to get someone in the UK to buy it for you and send it to you. UK shops do not seem to send electrical goods to France.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-...

This box is £79. Cheaper than a sky card. Very easy to install.

If you want a box that records, the Humax Boxes start from £189.99 My box is the older version of this model.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-...

My son recommended the Humax box, he lives in Agen, and he has the Humax installed in his house. He is an electrician, and he installs Freesat systems etc.

I have had my Humax box around 5 years now, it is very good They do have Humax Freesat here in France, but they are programmed for French Freesat, and cost a lot more than in the UK.

If you chose to buy a Humax box it must be Freesat if you are using a dish, not Freeview. My Freesat comes through my satellite dish, reception is very good, I have one dish serving three systems in my house. We chose Humax because they were No 1 at the time and still are.

If you want to pay for a full Sky package, there are companies in the UK who will supply you with a card and set up monthly payments for you with back up if you have problems. It is expensive, I have a friend who has this for the football. My friend has her subscription with a company in the North West of England.

https://www.n-sat.eu/cards.php

Good luck, and happy viewing.

Maureen

You know what ? Teresa is right so here goes....

I use an IPTV (Internet Protocol Television) supplier there are many but all reply on you having a decent internet download speed of around at least 3 Mbps - so do test yours first before ordering.

I use http://expatiptv.com/. I've had great service from them and their actual package is much more than they are currently showing on their site(!). Currently around 300 channels with all the premium Sky Movies & Sports included plus a full video library (regularly updated), internet browser and other gadgets.

Their little (13x8x3 cm) 'box' (MAG250 or MAG254) simply links to your TV via an HDMI cable and you're off! No Smart TV required - just any TV with an HDMI socket. Box delivered in a couple of days via courier.

Of course, you need to connect their IPTV box to your internet either via cable or by using the WiFi dongle they supply - it's pretty straightforward and the instructions are easy to follow. Takes about 5-10 mins to set up.

Happy viewing :-)

Simon :-)

Takes one to know one LOL ;-) Grumpy that is not the other bit and it's a JOKE!