Sky Cards EU

I would love to have the details of your set up Simon. We have a very good internet speed here, if that’s what we need and a smart TV.Could you please send me the details. Thanks. But I don’t know how to pm you!

So did I Teresa but I can't abide bad manners..or grumpy old men :-)

Would someone who joined Simon's Secret Society kindly put up the information for Peter, who asked a perfectly nice and reasonable question... I thought we were members of a helpful, kind, sharing network?

x teresa

Or - a more user friendly internet speed tester http://www.speedtest.net/ :-)

Would really appreciate any info on TV channels in france, I have sent you a friend request if you can reply there, much appreciated

It took 7 visits to get it sorted, it has been going on since end of Sept. All the previous technicians had said the entire cable (2000m) needed changing but I don't think FT were up to paying for that just yet. 3G doesn't exist here (yet).

Thank you. Looks like I need to get up and use the laptop - can’t do it in bed on the iPad!

Fiona, as Steve says but there are lots of speed tests available online free. On advice we use three of them for cross checking (they really do not always correspond) and save the three as 'favourites' instead of forgetting which ones they were. Then we check twice a week, keep a table of results (including the ping) which we have given Orange to prove we do not get what they say we should get as a minimum speed.

We had a visit by Orange technicians over a year ago and again recently, in our case about 800m of copper cabling needs replacement (to us) but then on to other houses and we are simply not yet considered a high priority. Two of us in this neighbourhood have complained directly to the CEO of Orange and whilst the minions from his office are passing instructions down the line, at this end it is slow. However, the one last week when our cabling from the post by them in coordination with rewiring in the house by an electrician was carried out was saying that to the best of his knowledge about 60% of France has no new line installation, large towns and cities do but rural not and the bit of Orange that still calls itself France Telecom are stalling for time because 3G technology will make the need for fibre optic cabling unnecessary in many places. Lucky you to have scored, but many people (like us) will just have to be verrrrry patient.

Fiona, you can check your speed here :> http://www.degrouptest.com/test-debit.php

Would love to hear more, please, but we are very rural and I don’t know our internet speed

Yes, line speed is all. We have an IPTV set-top box that came with our Zattoo subscription. We do not have Zattoo France, but Switzerland, since the subscription and box came from there and being via internet is possible. We rarely, well almost never, have sufficient line speed but can use it from time to time and all I can say is that the offer is vast running into hundreds of channels across languages, many of which (probably the majority actually) are neither included in the programme guide or any advertising. They give the impression of it being just about the same as Freeserve. We have Sky that way, but on the one hand never wanted it and on the other remember when Sky were publicising the fact it is illegal to have a UK subscription that is used outside the UK. If there was a totally reliable satellite internet service we would probably change to that, we would have the line speeds and then could dispense with what we have at present, most of which does not function because of satellite position and our house's alignment according to (if he could be trusted) the last technician who tried to align our equipment for receiving French services and Eutelsat/Hotbird. There are services that knock spots off any Sky or other satellite offers and there is an increasing effort to standardise the use of the 3GPP IP Multimedia Subsystem(IMS) as the architecture for supporting IPTV services in carrier networks. In a couple of years people within good reach of telephony antennae should be able to access internet services generally without phone lines. Then just about every smart TV will begin to offer a vast range, knocking the likes of Sky into the long grass very quickly.

My ongoing internet connection problem was finally resolved yesterday when 2 actual Orange guys turned up rather than their subcontractors. Not only have the intermittent connection problems gone, the speed has increased from 2 Mb/s to nearer 6. Main problem was the state of the 20 year old wiring, insects had picked away at the insulation in 3 junction boxes. Might now investigate IPTV in the new year.

Hi Peter my PC is NOT involved in my IPTV set up which does need a minimum 3 Mbps speed. Much better than any dish set up!

I'm lucky to have a pretty good speed being in town tho' the only inconvenience is the delay which can be up to a minute on some channels. I usually connect the pc to the telly with the USB cable for a bit more 'luxury'.

We have the same problem...have enough trouble watching Youtube :-(

We do as well, the only obstacle is our line speeds are awful.

Thank you Simon, much appreciated :-)

Hi Mike - no downloads, no dishes - will pm you.

How does this work, is it video downloaded via internet or do you still use a satellite dish etc?

Would appreciate details of your supplier.