Slang query etc

Morning all.

Is there a word that those ultra-chic Parisians would use when referring to their unwashed and uncouth brethren from other parts of the country - in particular the south or Marseilles in particular?

Thanks in advance for your replies - and I apologise in advance for the way this thread will rapidly go off-topic :rofl:

1 Like

Paysanne

If ultra-chic would they even demean themselves by mentioning these sorts of people? And certainly not using slang. But prolètaire perhaps.

This t-shirt always makes me chuckle:

2 Likes

Bouseux if rural (literally the dungy ones) but actually rather vulgar to say such things at all.
Les Marseillais are grandes gueules, exagèrent, don’t know how to drive (in common with everyone’s neighbouring départements, obviously) probably not very honest.
You might get a reference to laziness of people from the Midi. Maybe a bit of anti Gitan /Pied-Noir/ Maghrebin racism thrown in too.
Usually you would just say Marseillais and shrug or twitch an eyebrow or roll your eyes. Or any combination of those.

“La France Profonde”, knowing look, sigh, mild headshaking with eyes shut.
“La province” eyeroll and possible pffff noise.

4 Likes

Useful gesture
Bend your elbow keeping your upper arm close to your side, keep your hand vertical and curl it a bit and shake it gently as if whisking something in mid-air, look away in the other direction, turn your mouth down a bit put your eyebrows up and say pffffff
Means what a lot of tedious nonsense I am unimpressed

7 Likes

Thanks all - I’m amazed it’s kept on topic so far…

Do we need a “How to be Really Insulting in French” thread? :slight_smile:

1 Like

A bit like this ?:joy::joy:

2 Likes

Les provinciaux.

Reminds me of the scenes from “Les Visiteurs”.

1 Like

But hasn’t it become cheesily ironic - like Essex?

At least I hope so, I’m thinking of:-

Program - logo - 6092

I’ve only heard grandes gueules used by comedians so it could be a Francophone Essex joke shorthand…

Given the (undeclared) context of my enquiry, I’ve ended up with beaux voyous. As it turns out that the Marseillaises I’m discussing are ne’er-do-wells…

1 Like

Petite frappe is a spiv, if that helps…

I like ‘spiv’ it is pleasingly archaic. As a result my children all say it and have spread it to their friends.

3 Likes

And would the more enterprising of them also be ‘spivs’, or given their minority, would they be spivettes?

Whenever ‘spiv’ crops up I have an image of a character with a pencil moustache and a double-breasted chalk stripe demob suit (sort of Terry Thomas meets Jacob R-M’s dad).

5 Likes

I tend to think of Private Walker.

2 Likes

Flash Harry aka George Cole springs to my mind… but, yes, I reckon Private Walker might have been his cousin… :wink:

1 Like

Dumb Aussie, what is a spiv?

They are a bit flash, a bit wide, a bit dodgy, a bit fly, a bit criminal and untrustworthy: the rats in Paris are all spivs.

4 Likes

Petty crook or black marketeer.

2 Likes