Slang query etc

If you decide to pimp your vehicle (as they say in the US) with eg furry seats, curtains, fairy lights like a Cairo taxi, you are spivving it up.

1 Like

Originally spiv was UK WWII slang for a petty criminal who could illegally obtain for you anything that was limited by rationing from nylons to a piece of steak. They were a common character in post-War movies and UK rationing of everything from clothes to furniture continued for ten years after the War ended.

Thirty years ago, to celebrate my fortieth birthday (that’s a giveaway!) I opened the last of a case of 1943 vintage champagne that my grandparents must have bought from a spiv - over the decades in the bottle there’d been an amazing transformation into a honeyed liquer, with occasional bubbles drifting up through the flute and with its chardonnay cepage still readily identifiable, in fact its characteristics were probably amplified. Still have the empty!

3 Likes

Once a month OH pimps her pedigree miniature poodle (though that’s not how she refers to its seriously expensive toilettage) and equally unsurprisingly her salon de chiens isn’t called ‘Pimp ma caniche’.

2 Likes

This is a well known spiv, Pinkie in The film Brighton Rock

1 Like

The first 30 seconds, in other words a bit of a geezer, wheeler dealer, someone on the make etc.

1 Like
1 Like

I think Pinkie is just a bastard Jane. Green’s book was pre spiv era. That clip, as ever, made my skin creep. Brilliant performance by Attenborough :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Terry Thomas for me. He was always cast as the archetypal spiv. IIRC St Trinians?

Too nice maybe? More a cad I would have thought :slightly_smiling_face: or maybe a bounder? There was one movie I remember I think he played a spiv… I’ll try and fine it. School for Gentlemen or something?

1948….post-war and early spiv period. But most spivs are bastards, just wrapped up in a slightly cheeky chappie persona that loves his granny. The Terry Thomas type is a comedic spin-off for film/tv surely. Real spivs are slimy, oily bastards.

2 Likes

So funny :slightly_smiling_face:

Pssst. Ear, anyone wana genuwin Swiss built made in China kettle and hob for a monkey, lest say 5 for a grand, theyre all straight up I got some littluns for the missus at a pony

2 Likes

Yes, the movie but not the book. Interestingly Green scripted the film adaption of his book. Good review attached.

George Cole played the spiv character in St. Trinians.

By attaching a clip of it I sort of assumed that I was referring to the film not the book!

Sorry Jane, I thought you were putting Pinkie forward as as an example of a spiv.

Never seen the film, but read the book. Pinkie is a psychopath isn’t he - for me spivs are a bit more lightweight, not the full Kray.

1 Like

I would not describe Pinkie as a spiv. Spivs are generally people who conducted theft against commerce (typically underhand/black market) rather than violence against people.

1 Like

Ok, I’ll settle for psychopathic spiv. He still displays many spiv characteristics, and not all spivs are harmless fraudsters.

1 Like

Let’s see: I’ve had a 1792 Sercial Madeira and an 1864. A pre WW2 Champagne and a 1959. I think you’ve got me beat.
I love older wines, but there’s always a risk in buying them.