Smart TV problem

Yes, but you only get the service for the country of the Smart TV. So that means here in France we get the French selection for both Netflix and Prime. Some of the latest stuff from the US is not here, there are a lot of French only films and series and occasionally (bizarrely) UK stuff that is dubbed into French and no English option.

Iā€™ve not experienced thatā€¦
Canā€™t remember which series I watched now but it started off as being in French but there was an option for Englishā€¦ I think it was one recommended by @Gareth - possibly Call Saul :thinking:

I was looking for Broadchurch - only available in French. And several of the French films / series donā€™t offer English subtitles.

The firestick effectively turns your TV into a ā€œsmartā€ version so can have multiple Apps to watch BBC or ITV or CNN or Netflix for example. However a Firestick in France knows itā€™s in France and will only allow French or unlocked Apps. So to watch BBC etc. you need a VPN to fool the TV / Firestick into thinking it is in the UK.
Firestick is one off payment.
VPN is subscription.

Not sure I understand the question? I bought a Firestick to use as and when needed (low cost) and have VPN to improve flexibility as I can now watch any TV I wish from UK, USA, France as I please and also Netflix Prime etc. ( Iā€™m a rugby fan so my TV viewing goes up when the World Cup or Six Nations is on and reduces when the sun is shining and weā€™re outdoors etc. the whole system is very simple and low cost so hadnā€™t considered it as ā€œbotheringā€.

1 Like

My TV is a smart TV (Samsung) but there are no apps for the BBC and I think that would also e the case if the TV was in UK.
My question related to the ability to use Firestick to replace my ageing Sky box (the remote is playing silly buggers and the box isnā€™t switching on properly) with an internet solutionā€¦
NETFLIX is already an app on the Samsung smart TV (requiring an account of which I am totally aware).

1 Like

If the TV thinks that it is French, no - the iPlayer app will not show up just because you move the set to the UK.

On Samsungs, at least, it is possible to reset the TVā€™s region but not via the normal menu - you have to go into the service menu by, eg, pressing Info, menu, mute and then power on in sequence (sometimes other sequences are needed, Google is your friend1) - somewhere in the service menu it should be possible to change the TV region. Be careful though - rather a lot of other stuff can be changed and some of it will muck up your TV.

1] Actually Google is almost certainly not your friend, but it is moderately useful at finding stuff like this.

It was originally purchased in UK, I bought it second hand from an expat (in France) who found it was too big to fit in to the aperture he had created for it in his lounge.

AFAIR I havenā€™t changed any regional settings on it and I donā€™t see a need to do so as most of my viewing is French anyway (god awful English TV these days anyway :roll_eyes:)

Oops

If it was imported but first connected to a network when in France it will figure out that it is French (happened to my set, also imported from the UK) and behave accordingly.

I hadnā€™t noticed French TV is any better :thinking:

depends what you watch I guessā€¦
For me, its good to have French being spoken in the background - subliminal learning :wink: and programmes are not interrupted every 10 minutes with mindless advertsā€¦

The two things I hate about UK TV - apart from the dire content, of course, is that the commercial channels feel like they are more advert than programme (they are not allowed to be but subjectivelyā€¦) and it is almost all standard definition which *really* sucks on a larger TV.

At least catch up normally provides an HD picture, not that the ads are any less mindless on the commercial ones.

1 Like

If you have a decent Smart telly and donā€™t need UK on demand then a firestick adds very little.

However they are a lot easier to use VPN on than the TV - not as easy as the laptop mindā€¦

We have one - itā€™s now in use on the old telly which isnā€™t smart. It added little for me - I can cast from the laptop to TV without a firestick but added to the second telly itā€™s great plus it means you can cast from phone or laptop.

If you have a dish then just get a new or second hand box off eBay. I think for. 1TB recordable Humax I paid around 70 used.

On offer Firesticks are so cheap itā€™s probably worth trying - Amazon so just return if you donā€™t like it.

and pay extortionately for the privilege post Brexit import fees and dutyā€¦

I have just installed a new smart tv, the replacement for a very old non smart one which finally gave up the ghost last week.

No problem getting it setup and very pleased with the picture as well as the immediate connection with all I need to both my Freesat and Fransat boxes.

However, I do have a Netflix.fr account and watch films etc. on my computer, but it is not an ideal format and I was looking forward to watching on this new tv. It detected my Livebox but then presented me with an onscreen keyboard, presumably for a password or key code.

When I connected my new computer a while back I just used the key code to connect to the Livebox, no trouble, but it has said ā€˜Failā€™ twice. Is there something else it wants or have I made a mistake in the very long 30 digit code? That is quite possible because there are a couple of digits in it the same and it didnā€™t show the 2nd of each on the screen so I may have made a mistake there.

Before I try again is this all I have to do? And should I ignore the fact that the 2nd of 2 identical digits does not show up on the screen?

No - if the number is repeated that is the way youā€™ll need to enter them. Most on-screen keyboards have a bit of a built-in delay to avoid inadvertent double entries. Try leaving a longer pause between entering the repeated digits - eg, for ā€˜33ā€™ press ā€˜3ā€™, wait until the next blank space starts flashing (5 seconds?) Then press ā€˜3ā€™ again.

1 Like

Just tried again before reading your reply, with the same result, Iā€™ll try again following your suggestion but it has occurred to me that it is case sensitive and I have used lower case all the way through when the actual key is upper case. Is this a likely cause too?

@David_Spardo from a security point of view, since the default Livebox password is (generally known) to be on the box itself, you might wish to change it to something else - more easily remembered and typed in.
When we had a Livebox (which I generally always called a deadbox) that was almost the first thing I didā€¦

are you being asked for the Livebox password or your NETFLIX account password :thinking:

Yes, Iā€™m afraid the passcode for your Livebox is case sensitive.

2 Likes

oopsā€¦ missed that comment from Davidā€¦