Smoke detectors obligatory from 8 March

I don't know if everyone has wised up to this :

http://www.service-public.fr/actualites/003377.html

but every house or flat ("logement") has to have at least one smoke detector installed by 8 March, and send off an attestation to their insurers. Where it's rented property, it's the landlord who has to do it.

I've found a couple of forums discussing this business.

http://www.detecteur-de-fumee-conseil.fr/quel-detecteur-choisir.html

http://www.quechoisir.org/equipement-de-la-maison/securite-domestique/guide-d-achat-detecteur-de-fumee-bien-choisir-son-detecteur-de-fumee

http://www.quechoisir.org/equipement-de-la-maison/securite-domestique/dossier-detecteur-de-fumee

going to wade through these later, off to dentist now :)

Yep, same as the ones who put the ecotaxe barriers up....

You got the red bunnet handy, Vic? :)

I would not waste money betting you are right on that one.

Was this law brought out by the same officials who had shares in the breathalyser fiasco ? ;-)

*shakes heid slowly, sips cupan tae"

- sorry, don't have Gaelic fadas on this keyboard :)

I am suffering Foggerty-itis at present, brought on by more insurance bow-locks ;-)

This has happened before with the Puckoon business...hmmm...

"d'ye wan the heid on ye?"

:)

Aye man!

You reading my mind there, Jimmy?

*grin*

I n other words, buy one, take the letter out, send it to the insurance company, take device to vide greniers.... ;-)

This is the actual wording of the article :

"Une attestation d’installation sur l’honneur doit être envoyée à la compagnie d’assurance. Une lettre-type est souvent fournie avec les appareils. La loi suggère aux assureurs d’accorder des remises sur les cotisations en cas d’installation de (détecteurs), ce que certains pratiquent déjà en proposant des baisses allant de 5 à 10 %. En revanche, aucune sanction n’est prévue en cas de non-installation : de manière générale, les assurés resteront indemnisés en cas d’incendie et ne pourront pas se voir refuser une assurance s’ils ne produisent pas l’attestation d’installation."

You bet Val, having a pal who is a broker means less (only less) fibs. He has certainly taken all of our insurance away from previously being with Crédit Agricole who spun us more yarns than truths.

Oooh that's interesting. Let's see if Brian's friend says any different - it absolutely wouldn't surprise me as each insurance office / broker seems to have their own set of rules. If all he mentions is the 5% discount then that could be quite definitive.

The newspaper article I referenced says that it will work the other way round, ie you get a 5% rebate off your insurance if you produce the attestation. Anyone who doesn't send one in will have no change, they say.

When I am passing I'll call in to our insurance office, the bloke who runs it being a friend knows better than to sell either of us a line, so I'll ask. Not today, it is Monday and no work there...

The additional charge beggars belief really. I have absolutely NO problem investing in 2 or 3 detectors - in the event of something unfortunate they could possibly save my littlun's life. So no problem, zero. Having to pay that unjustifiable amount extra for a rubber stamp is ludicrous. What would happen with no rubber stamp - say you have install 4 detectors can't afford the rubber stamp, it invalidates the insurance?

We have a couple already in fact but tucked away in cubby holes. The insurance companies wanting bl**dy attestations with the stamp and signature of the bloke with screwdriver seems to be the stumbling block with DIY. They will want jam on it when we are happy with just plain bread, as usual.

I'm the same with the cuisiniere, Brian - smoke billowing everywhere when I open the top to load up. IMHO I think €70 is too steep for what's involved unless it's a state of the art thing that needs wiring in and setting up on wifi for mobile notification! Mine will be a simple thing that takes 10 mins to pop in a battery & hang on a wall and I don't have €70 to hand over for that. I'll be interested to see what Ian comes up with about the attestation when he's had a chance.

My OH knows ALLLLLLLL about it because she's flogging houses. Nearby we have a firm that comes and installs, leaves the attestation and only costs €70. There is only one per household required. Insurers are saying that self-installed ones may not be in the right place, bla-di-dah, and most of them will probably not simply accept the notice from inside the box. So, it is more the insurance companies to think about than any kind of official smoke detector inspector who may turn up in 2286 when you are no longer there....

Sounds like a politician whose father owns an insurance company and whose son is in the fire alarm business type of law. In this house we might as well keep it on ringing permanently. She smokes, I don't, children like having candles, a change of wind direction and the fire sends vast billows of smoke everywhere and the stove door must be opened to pur logs in. A smoke detector seems to be more of an irritant than an aid here :-(