Social charges for auto-entrepreneurs of retirement age

Before I make a phone call to the RSI, could anyone please answer a question regarding social charges once an auto-entrepreneur reaches retirement age? I have a customer who says he's "heard" that he shouldn't be paying any social charges on his quarterly turnover now that he is of retirement age and receiving a UK pension.

Does anybody have any experience of this and/or a link to a website where I can find out more? I have searched (in French) for information, but so far come up with nothing, other than that I gather that if you are in receipt of a French pension (which is probably not going to be the case for a lot of foreign entrepreneurs), you are no longer obliged to contribute to the retraite part of your charges sociales. Which also begs the question as to whether this applies to auto-entrepreneurs and, if so, how do you deduct the retraite part from the overall charges when making your declaration of turnover?

Any useful pointers would be gratefully received.

It looks like a case of misunderstanding - esp. from the RSI people not defining status properly hence making things look confusing, jumping to conclusions without trying to clarify the situation.

The caption "le voisin est-il bien dans la légalité" is not the right attitude to show from a fonctionnaire : he's got some nerves and sounds really unprofessional !

Yes, deductible at source but " re "taxable in France, according to "special agreements" between the 2 countries. The French tax still wants to know how much people have earned ! Sorry about the bad news ;)

I was tempted to reply in a similar vein!

Thanks Tracey good point, i will start a new thread. x

Here is some info for being retired and AE from the CCI.

http://www.cci.fr/web/auto-entrepreneur/seuils-de-validation-de-trimestres-pour-la-retraite

http://www.cci.fr/web/auto-entrepreneur/ae-retraite

Because you've chosen to live here and therefore be part of the system...? ;-)

Yes, that is right and being then only 60 I ignored it. Given that retirement is more notional than real for AEs I would forget it if I was you, I certainly shall.

Maybe I'm having a senior moment, but I could have sworn that, when I signed up for AE status, there was an option asking whether I was retired looking to supplement my pension.

As I haven't started to claim my UK pension yet, I didn't check it. Have I gone hopelessly cuckoo or has anyone else heard of that?

Why should WE pay for France's national debt, or be taxed on DTT based pensions?? They make me sick, the robbing bar stewards....

So true about the national emblem.

They expect to be looked after from cradle to grave, there is little in between.

We found when we moved here in July 2009 that they thought that the crise did not apply to France, but slowly and surely there were more offers in the supermarkets and we now know people that have lost their jobs.

I make a joke that France needs to change its national emblem from the cock to the ostrich!

I am retired but have a tiny consultancy fee income from the UK and also income from investments. These incomes have been declared in France and I had to pay social charges on all of the earned income and some of the unearned income although UK tax had also been paid on all the unearned income. In fact I also had to pay a contribution to help France pay off it's high level of debt (I am serious). However I did take the view that provided other matters were OK I should be paying some taxes here as I benefit from the French state having a young child in a Free school. I did appeal my CSG and they allowed my appeal which saved me 180 euros!

Good answer Marie-Claire. Communism, in the form we have predominantly seem through the former Soviet Union and China, is very different to France. None of it reflects what Marx or anybody else including Proudhon as a so-called anarchist wrote in their time, or what has come to pass since. The big players were totalitarian, France is not. France practices state capitalism which is very dependent on a trustworthy bureaucracy and taxation for investment. Unlike the communist monoliths, that investment tends to be in grandiose schemes like EDF buying into power generation and supply wherever they can worldwide, building new and many aircraft for its national airline, supporting partially state owned vehicle manufacturers but not building the typically communist showpieces like new schools and hospitals, although they are needed. The differences between party politics are minimal although ideologies wide apart, thus PS and UMP are incomparable and anyway a multiparty system is part of France. That all has little to do with social charges but what is behind them is not what some of you think, but really the same opposing forces of the investment I describe and the enormous debt the country is in already and all of us must pay for, like it or not. Thus every cent possible is squeezed out of us as it would be most everywhere else today.

I wonder if you actually lived in a "communist" country?

I did and the social charges weren't comparable with what you are expected to pay in France. They were much lower, as were many of the benefits, incidentally. France is on a different plane altogether.

Totally agree with you Martyn and Glen. Seriously wondering if we can survive any more cotisation and tax hikes. Its hardly surprising that people work on the black, trying to work legally leaves you very poor. No 35 hour weeks for artisans, more like 100 to get by.

I agree 100% with Glen on the political bit!! Franc is now a fully fledged Communist country, taking tax and social charges in huge amounts !! You are OK if you are a fonctionnaire!!

;-)