Social distancing etc... UK & France

I agree with Jane. What I don’t understand about Stella’s post is it appears that she initiated a conversation with two people who were walking. Surely they should only have been wearing masks if they intended interacting with other people. Being out of doors and maintaining distances means that masks are unnecessary. I am going on a cycle ride later today. I do carry a mask in my saddlebag but I won’t be wearing it as I will not be passing to close to or stopping to talk with anybody.

4 Likes

Seems that folk cannot visualise a village with narrow roads… and a situation where folk do actually talk…albeit bellow at the moment…

I cannot for the life of me see anything odd in my talking to strangers coming in my direction…whom I will have to pass at close quarters (because there is no alternative) and who are not wearing masks… :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

I always speak with strangers I meet here where I live… why would I not… saying hello is only being polite and often we discuss the village history… whatever… it’s a very pleasant environment.

Since Lockdown, we have had few strangers… but these last couple of days the flow has started… only a trickle at the moment but we are expecting even more any time soon.

I live in that environment but there is a huge difference between voicing a greeting from a distance and initiating a conversation.

There’s a very good article this morning on the BBC website about “silent spreaders” and how two Chinese people from Wuhan, seemingly “not ill” with no symptoms attended a church service in Singapore and how the virus then spread. BBC: the mystery of “silent spreaders”

I’m with Stella on this and err on the side of caution. My take is, I am VERY healthy but also in the key group likely to get it. I think it is entirely possible I could be a “silent spreader”. How would I feel if I found I had infected someone and that they subsequently died?

Jane, I have sympathy with your point about handling masks, but also I carry hand sanitiser and use it constantly - several times for example going round a supermarket and always before I get back in the car. I think handling a mask is almost inevitable and should not be some excuse not to have one and wear one when appropriate. (Also, and I reiterate something I posted elsewhere - google “copper masks” and read about copper killing the virus)

put your finger in the dyke :wink:

Only and if it is used reliably and truthfully. It is all voluntary, and as we have seen throughout this lockdown, covidiots have been on the loose. Personally i dont think much of the app and electronic technology wont stop a virus only common sense and proper hygiene will.

2 Likes

The reality.
CALL OUTS 26 - 28. 30/05/20

An afternoon none of our team will forget in a hurry.

The pagers sounded at 15:50, Solent asked the team to assist South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust with a casulty who had been pulled from the sea bed after jumping from Durdle Door. Also tasked were Lulworth First Responders Kimmeridge Coastguard, Weymouth Lifeboat, Dorset Police, Dorset and Somerset Air Ambulance and Coastguard Rescue 175.

Arriving on scene, the team made their way down the steps to the beach, locating the casualty near to the base of the steps.

He was receiving help from the medical professionals already on scene. Lulworth CRT began to create a landing site for the helicopter.

The beach had thousands of people on it and we thank the majority of people who complied with our shouting to clear a helicopter landing site, a very difficult challenge.

Helimed landed on the beach. We were then made aware of a second casualty 2/3 of the way around the beach who had also jumped from the door. Somehow he had managed stagger back to his friends before falling very unwell.

The paramedics deemed his injuries very serious and requested that like the first casualty, he be flown to the major trauma centre in Southampton.

Team members and police now had to clear a second landing site for Rescue 175 which had been circling the area. The beach was cleared, many day trippers now on Scratchy Bottom beach.

The second helicopter landed, unloaded their paramedic and stretcher before returning to base to refuel. The second casualty was carefully prepared for hospital.

The first helicopter then left scene, flying at best speed to Southampton. The police then declared the beach to be closed. The thousands caught in-between the two landing sites now asked to leave the beach.

Our Senior Coastal Operations Officer had been maintaining communications on high ground when a third casualty made himself known to him. He had also jumped from Durdle Door and had serious injuries to his torso. An ambulance crew (one of five on site) dealt with his injuries and took him to Dorset County Hospital on Dorchester.

Rescue 175 was now back on scene and landed again on the beach. The second casualty was loaded on board, and flown to Southampton.

The remaining beach goers were now asked to leave.

The police had to deal with alcohol fuelled minor scuffles, as well as a small but out of control fire from a BBQ.

On returning up the steps, a fourth casualty had identified on high ground above Durdle Door. The lady had a suspected broken ankle and due to gradient of the hill, a stretcher carry out was too risky. Coastgaurd Rescue 187 from St Athan was sent to the area. They dropped their paramedics on top of the hill, and walked down to the lady. She was placed in a rescue strop and winched into the aircraft. They flew her to the top of the hill and transferred her to a land ambulance.

After a debrief, Lulworth and Kimmeridge retuned to their stations at about 21:30.

We understand that four individuals jumped from Durdle Door (some 70ft) yesterday, encouraged by the crowds on the beach.
Two of which are now seriously injured.

Upsetting scenes like we and many others witnessed yesterday illustrate how very dangerous tombstoning is. We couldn’t discourage it enough.

Thank you everyone who helped in one way or another yesterday including the Lulworth Estate staff who, as usual, were integral to keeping traffic flowing aiding emergency vehicles entering the area.

We wish all the casualties the very best.

We would also like to reiterate our thanks to the vast majority of beach goers who were patient and cooperative in what was very difficult situation. Described as a critical incident by police.

@anon57427786 what you might otherwise describe as a “nut job” :roll_eyes:

@graham

1 Like

O

In places where there are people I entirely agree that the proper wearing of masks is a prudent and respectful thing to do. Walking outdoors where there are few people and it is very easy to stay well away (I err on the side of caution and stick to 2-3m) then I don’t see masks are necessary. And quite frankly if I was walking down a street and someone approached me, accosted me and then chastised me I would not be pleased - I hate vigilantism in all its forms.

2 Likes

Interesting reading, and clear differences between UK and France. In the UK I would say that on average about a third of the people I encounter in the supermarket or diy shop are wearing masks. Out walking and exercising hardly anyone wears one. I haven’t worn one yet. I don’t think I am likely to be infected just passing by another person, even if they are infected, and I don’t think I am likely to infect them if I have it. I am very careful about what I touch, and do not touch my face until I’ve got home and washed my hands. I have seen people wear masks in a shop, come out, take them off, and then rub their face or eyes. I also see people alone in their cars wearing a mask which seems totally unnecessary. I would have to say that I too wouldn’t be very happy if someone came up to me outside and gave me a bollocking for not being masked .

I’m frustrated with the lack of consistency with regard to mask wearing, in some shops it’s obligatory but in others not and you often don’t know until you reach the shop door and see the notices. Our dechetteries have now made mask wearing a requirement but why haven’t they been deemed necessary for the last six weeks?

1 Like

Exactly, if masks were made compulsory in shops everyone would know the rules and hopefully abide by them. Probably only about 50% wearing masks in our supermarket now.

1 Like

5 Likes

What a brilliant example of British distanciation physique, even before the helicopters arrived. And not a mask in sight.

2 Likes

And this is why yesterday’s published UK covid 19 death toll was over 324 and in France 58 (bad enough). I am worried that in spite of the messages on the radio, signs and traffic arrows in shops etc there will be another spike here.
Look at this lot of idiots

1 Like

I’d like to think that the message was pretty simple - stay indoors, stay a good few metres away from others outdoors, wash your hands.

Once again it seems I underestimated the stupidity of humans.

How the feck did we get to be so successful, when we are clearly so irretrievably dim witted?

3 Likes

I do wonder at people stepping out into the road rather than quickly passIng on the pavement at the WHO recommended distance. People seem to think the virus is like a snake that will strike if momentarily allowed to come close to a victim. I do not make light of the virus but we must use common sense. I like most here do not wear a mask inside or out. I ensure I do not linger too near to anybody. At the moment having had CV19 I feel fairly safe from passing anything on or being reinfected. Over time I will be less confident but I think I am behaving responsibly. I currently feel the threshold would be if I had to use public transport or visit a confined space. When (if) we come to France we will do as the French do.