Social distancing etc... UK & France

No I don’t think the virus has magical properties, but when passing people out for a walk we step well back or turn aside. The French recommended 1m seems too close as if you hold your hand out (prob about 85cm unless you are small) and breath you can feel it. So anyone you pass who is breathing heavily from carrying shopping, fast walking, jogging, cycling, etc will microscopically splatter you at 1m. If I was 30 and in good health then maybe wouldn’t be bothered. But I’m not, so I am being prudent.

1 Like

Taken near Derbyshire this morning, after the weekend good weather

pathetic!

How on earth can you get people to be responsible if they defile the beautiful place they come to enjoy?

Some schools are open today in the UK but many parents are refusing to let their children attend as they do not deem it safe, I wonder if these would be the same parents that thought it was okay to go to the beach yesterday?

Heres another one, Glossop Fire Service called out Yesterday afternoon to an unattended camp fire in a wooded area close to tinder dry moorland. Is this the commonsense of a the Brits.??

Fewer than 25% wearing masks in Leclerc this morning and no social distancing. I’m thinking of getting a bell and a sign to go round my neck saying “unclean” maybe THAT will make people keep their distance.

1 Like

Bournemouth beach yesterday afternoon.

Is is obligatory to wear a mask in Leclerc?

Maybe not Tim but perhaps just common sense?

Just found the UK Guidelines.

6 Likes

I wish it were. We now have a considerable number of incomers who are behaving as if everything is over and done with.
As I’ve said elsewhere - I wear a mask and I protect THEM. If they wear a mask they protect ME (and all the staff who work in the supermarket). NOT wearing a mask when in a place where social distancing is impossible - like Leclerc on a bank holiday morning - I believe to be a highly selfish act.

1 Like

I don’t like wearing a mask and only do so when it’s obligatory. If people think I’m being selfish or lacking in common sense then so be it.

1 Like

We were at home all weekend stacking wood, so went out today and it was like another world! There were camping cars and caravans everywhere, from all over France. Plus cars and m’bikes from Switzerland and Monaco. People milling around allover, queue to end of street at bakery (distanced at least). The beach car parks are full, which normally only happens on 14 July.

Bring back confinement! It was a lot more peaceful…

Hence my regret it’s not obligatory. For example, you have COVID-19 and you are asymptomatic. (Scientists now think anything up to 80% of people may be asymptomatic.) You are next to me in Leclerc bagging tomatoes and you sneeze - maybe you have a slight summer cold, but you also are carrying COVID-19. Because both your hands are full, you do not do anything to protect me from your sneeze. The virus passes through my mask, or maybe I catch your droplets on my eyes. I become ill 14 days later and subsequently I die. And your reaction to this? “Then so be it”.

3 Likes

I thought it was obligatory in France.

Other than that I half agree, we don’t exactly know how much, if any, reduction in risk is provided by wearing masks but as Sue says if it works it is because wearing one reduces the chance of infecting others - so it is only worthwhile if a significant majority (say > 90%) are complying.

Only obligatory in certain circumstances Paul - like public transport. There’s a fine of 135€ in Paris and virtually everyone can be seen wearing them.

2 Likes

I thought people had to wear them in shops - which would be sensible IMO.

1 Like

Only some shops that tell you to. Others don’t.

A pity. I had thought France was being more sensible than the UK.