Some hope might be on the horizon

Be interesting to learn the outcome of this effort…

It’s interesting that this, and some other drugs used to treat auto-immune inflammatory diseases, are being investigated as treatment for Covid. For us (ie people with auto-immune diseases) they suppress or otherwise affect our over-active immune systems - which seems the last thing you want to do when a virus is attacking your body, but if it works then hey!

I took plaquenil for 10 years, and I think I still have a box in the cupboard so I will not throw that away in my spring cleaning!

2 Likes

That box could be useful… so, yes, hang on to it… although it might be out of date by now. Mind you I’m never sure if OODate means stuff won’t work… or if it will have a bad effect…

whatever… good luck… and keep safe.

I made a crumble with some bottled quinces from 2015 the other day. I know it is not the same as a drug, but this obsession with best before and out of date is a real waste of food. If you use your common sense you should be fine.
I am clearing out all my older tins and using them first.

5 Likes

My grandparents used to bottle all their garden products. Be it veggies, jam making, juice. When we moved them to another house we found a lot of ‘vintage’ i.e. over 20 year old bottled ‘stuff’ Grandpa insisted it was all fine to eat! The only negative side of the ‘vintage’ was the taste. We did not get ill, but some of it had lost it all. Taste, Texture, colour to a point you couldn’t identify what is was without reading the label.
Still laughing about grandma’s vintage jam.
Out of date matters only if the tin is blown, or when it comes to meat products. Even hard cheese is safe or we wouldn’t have 2 year aged Parmesan.

Exactly. The quinces were fine and I used up a small bag of frozen raspberries as well.
Yummy.

There is definitely hope - several existing anti-viral drugs are promising and there were reports of some initial vaccine trials in the US.

Given time i think we will develop effective tools against SARS-Cov-2 but “enough time” is likely to be 1-2 years.

Which is why some governments have been reluctant to enter full “lock down” - because the hard-to-answer question is “when do we relax restrictions”.

Interesting article here

1 Like

Interesting, I was reading a good discussion today about the nature of viruses and the fact that virologists believe that covid19 has already mutated which is why some cases are mild like a cold and some people are asymptomatic. The severe cases correlate to pre existing respiratory disease and heart conditions in a mainly elderly demographic, a majority based on the cases documented in China where we are seeing the possible mutation. We fear it because it is largely unknown in its behaviour, but the more people exposed means it will create immunity in our artillery of resistance and fight back. I will share the discussion, it is worth reading and puts the virus into a meaningful context that we can all understand

1 Like

The link I promised about viruses- Covid19 in context
https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-and-covid-19-your-questions-answered-by-virus-experts-133617

Worth reading

1 Like

Covid 19 is no dummy, and those pink wobbly things on its surface are ears, finely attuned to the latest Cummings-designed hangng chads of bullshit like the "Wotever-it-takes’ meme being fed to Bojo by PM Question Time arse-lickers today (Aren’t ya sick of 'em already? I am!).

But Covid 19 laps’ em up and uses them as fuel to mutate, so as to ensure a constant crop of us mugs to sate it’s appetite for liquid lung-lunches and leucocytes-for-afters.

Watch out for an early mutation of the “Wotever-it-takes” ear-worm into something worse. It can only get worse before it gets better folks! :hugs::scream:

I’ve been hanging on to a 30-pack of codeine the doc gave me for Denise, as Denise were very painful. I got along without resorting to the codeine but fished them out a few days ago because I got toothache. Great time to get toothache. My dentist, closed down a.t.mo., has offered me an appointment on 14th April, if I haven’t torn my own head off by then.

But the codeine were dead and gone. Exp Sept 2017. I did expect some life from them but even 4 at once produced no effect. Don’t rely on yours if the exp date is <12 months.

See below my go with codeine exp 09/17

The margarine in Scott’s Hut on Antarctic is still ‘edible’. They landed stores in Jan 1911. What is that stuff?

Unpacking stuff when I moved into my flat in Dec 2016 I found two Kilner-type jars of Marmalade + Vodka. Both were excellent. They must have been at least 10 years old because one half of the couple which gave them to me has been dead for that time.

I thought I had discovered a way to improve the bland flavour and soggy texture of standard supermarket smoked salmon. I used to give my 3 staff a Christmas lunch, kicked off with smkd salmon and Champagne. One year I forgot to buy the salmon but found a pack in the freezer, 6 months past its use-by date. It was excellent! It had dried out to the sort of texture you get with really good salmon and the taste had revved up a bit- better than the original.

I made a point of trying the same trick the following year. Total failure. It had gone well off. Really horrible.

I once had smoked mackeral from a pack which was 1 year past its use-by date. It was just like one bought the day before.

Yes, some drugs get weaker over time but unlikely to do you harm if a bit old. I once had to resort to 10 years past use by date aspirin - which worked just fine,

1 Like

yes, unlikely to do harm. They just turn into little chalk pills or whatever the binding matter is.

Yup. Used to be an avid watcher of PMQ’s but every time I see that dreadful twat on TV I’m reaching for the sick bowl.

2 Likes

It was wonderful watching Bercow. I was thoroughly disgusted when Boris started his new job. He was an arrogant pig at PMQ. He would not even attempt to answer questions unless from his fawning admirers.

1 Like

Or his planted stooges.

We can ‘turn the tide’ in twelve weeks if we follow the advice says Boris, anyone convinced?

Why wouldn’t I be convinced by such an honest, thoughtful and competent person?