Something safer than a Stanley knife?

Anyone any suggestions please?

From time to time with my photography I need to cut the edges of large A3+ photos to prepare them for framing.

At the moment I use a long metal ruler, a Stanley knife and a special mat that “heals”.

I have, occasionally, sliced my thumb holding the ruler because the knife slips. I wondered if there is a safer way of cutting large sheets of photo paper?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Should give you a squarer edge too.

1 Like

It may sound bizarre but have you considered a scalpel with replaceable blades - this is how we used to do it in the drawing office splicing plans.

4 Likes

I suggest a guillotine too. I inherited a wooden one with fold down cutting edge so it can store flat and its very accurate and neat. Scissors, stanley type knives are not good for lots of sheets or lengths.

1 Like

Stanley knives are a bit coarse and blunt for that sort of job. For decades most British artists, graphic designers and photographers have used metal (not plastic!) Swann Morton short handled surgical scalpels with the 10a blade.

I think they’re far more versatile than guillotines, for instance we also use them for things like laser printed exhibition labels that are spray mounted on Foamcor

5 Likes

Olfa rotary cutters and a straight edge are very safe:

4 Likes

Also, the sharper the blade, the less likely it is to slip, as it forms a trench in the material you’re cutting.

I find that if I cut any kind of board, I have to sharpen/ hone a Stanley blade every few cuts.

2 Likes

That is exact the type we used to use

2 Likes

I was going to suggest a rotary cutter too, been using for years for fabric.

1 Like

Thanks John but A3+ paper is 483mm and I find guillotines can distort when cutting

2 Likes

I wondered, then read something saying don’t use on paper, only on fabric as it blunts the blade?

1 Like

This is true, I have 2 blades, one for each. Very easy to change over.

1 Like

Am I imagining? I seem to remember a kind of ruler where the cutting wheel was set into a groove in the middle of the ruler

Ask the framer to do it? I opt for easiest route these days!

I use one of these successfully.

3 Likes

Or a safety ruler with finger guard, several styles available
https://images.app.goo.gl/UCgUL4oMVVeMgVSTA
Metal Safety Rule - 300mm https://amzn.eu/d/32tvggJ

1 Like

Framer for mitring window mounts certainly, but not for simply trimming… Though I did used to be able to cut a window mount with a heavy mitred steel straight edge.

Incidentally our excellent framers (hardwood) near Villefranche de Rouergue are remarkably inexpensive - Their artisans are mentally handicapped but manually skillful and work in a centre that teaches various traditional skills. It’s not exploitation, it’s giving them a place in society and pride in their work.

We usually order a batch of frames in order to make the journey worthwhile - if anyone in that area wants their contact details, please let me know - I can recommend them without reservation.

3 Likes

I will always favour this sort of thing… marvellous…

There was a guinguette in Perigueux, which trained and employed people who needed just that little extra care and understanding :wink: and the food was superb… so a win-win for us.

That’s exactly the sort of thing I use for A3 photo paper. It works brilliantly, although you do have to be quite precise in lining it up.

1 Like

Agreed, but A3+ is quite a bit bigger and doesn’t fit.