Spam email

Hi there is a spam email which seems to come from service-clients it says it is a surprise from Orange a fidelity program… it asks you to enter a draw to win an iPad.

Don’t just don’t

3 Likes

reference

1 Like

Yes thanks Graham. I was tired and let my guard down. I managed to act before any damage was done. Ive sent it to Orange abusé e-mail you provided. Thanks again

2 Likes

There was a flood of them over the last few weeks. Special offers from all and sundry ended up in my junk mail.

guy I know recently fell for some very authentic looking mails “from SFR” , warning him his account was compromised, he says he did some checks which led him to believe they were genuine, so he sent them the info requested…and they then got all his data, address book etc etc and started sending out mails in his name…nightmares are made of this :rage:

This is why it’s a good idea to inspect suspicious emails on a smartphone or non-Windows tablet.

99% of all the nasty, self-installing malware is targeting Windows users.

Have a long look at the email address as the sneaky **** might just have set up a fake domain that’s only 1 character different from the real one that they are impersonating.

Don’t believe the BS in the email. Do nothing with any spurious email and above all do not answer. They want your return-address, and if you send it they will resell it!

And you’ll get even more spurious emails!

Received this by text message / is it just spam?

Looks like the wrong address

And of course real infractions are notified by post

1 Like

That is almost certainly a scam. If you’ve been caught speeding they will send you a letter with all the details - including a reference number that you can use on the correct infractions site: antai.gouv.fr (no hyphens…)

1 Like

I had it as a text on my phone yesterday. The only problem was I’ve not driven a car on the road in the past 17 months. Except for a few days long, long ago and that car was not registered to me.

Do you think a speed trap caught me on my bicycle?

1 Like

Pre-internet spam, we used to get those calls saying we had won a prize at a local furniture shop. My friend actually went along and it was a hard sell of very expensive furniture and the gift was a plastic boules set you could buy in Super U for a couple of euros! Sort of sweet in comparison with what they do online or on the phone today.

1 Like

This may not be strictly considered ‘spam email’ but it is something that internet users will be seeing

online, many ads are sold based on the many details that advertisers have gleaned about your behavior and interests from your online activity.

Tech firms track nearly every click from website to website, develop detailed profiles of your interests and desires and make that data available to advertisers. That’s why you get those creepy ads in your Instagram feed or on websites that seem to know what you were just talking about.

Right. So web surfers are targeted by what they look at. Thing is,

The products shown in targeted ads were, on average, roughly 10 percent more expensive than what users could find by searching online. And the products were more than twice as likely to be sold by lower-quality vendors, as measured by their Better Business Bureau ratings.

Recommend an ad blocker and/or never click on a website embedded ad.

Only last monday I had four notices that my TV licence will be cancelled unless I acted fast to send them loadsamoney :laughing:
I marvel at the efficiency of the TV licensing, as each of mine were from a different entity, two in Japan, one in India, and another in Estonia :rofl:

1 Like

Like those beautiful fashions that keep popping up every day They are very enticing although I am no stick insect and would not suit most of them. When I see the companies behind the ads, they are nearly all chinese and we have all seen those poor devils conned into buying literally nothing more than a cheap dishcloth they thought was a dress suitable for a wedding invite.

2 Likes

Not me. I don’t really have a real online presence. Everything I do online is masked by fake email addresses, names and numbers etc. I only give these details away to people I trust. Hell, the adverts I get served are so far away from what I may actually need, it’s funny.
Edit: I occasionally trawl the web to find out what is known about my real self online. I still only can find one hit, from 1988. It’s a patent.
Edit2: Strangely, this forum is where I have revealed more about myself than anywhere. And it’s publicly searchable. Must be getting soft in my old age. Not that it would get you anywhere mind.

3 Likes

I have an ad blocker, so don’t get much, but what does get through is usually something I’ve just bought. :roll_eyes:
Maybe I should, but I really don’t sleep any less soundly knowing all this tech stuff is going on.

On an Android phone go into Settings, choose Google (last few versions of Android), choose Annonces or Advertising, and there you will see your advertising ID, which is a major way your activities on a site and across sites are tracked. Whether you use Google or not, as Android operating system is basically Google.

I change mine regularly, my version of Android generates another random Google ID if I do this. You can also choose to delete it, but best to click to change it instead apparently. As a blank one apparently sticks out like a sore thumb as so few people do it.

There is an iPhone equivalent too apparently.

Now, if I could only work out how to change my Device ID… it’s amazing how that is being read and matched by so many sites too, and not for any benefit to me but presumably loads to those who sell my data.

1 Like

Browser fingerprinting

The ‘invisible’ search engine

1 Like