Spotify here and there

18 months ago I was advised by my son to join Spotify so that I could listen to music I liked when I wanted to. I duly signed up and set up a playlist of favourites thinking ahead to a time when I might have a Roberts radio or similar. I realised with a simple test that it did not play the playlist and then stop but went round and round for ever. I was told by their help chat person that there was no way to alter this so I suspended my membership.

My problems with the Roberts radio have been documented elswhere on here and I eventually bought a Karcher. It is great and will play any channel I choose for as long as I want and then switch off, just what I want for going to sleep. The drawback is that I am at the mercy of someone elseā€™s playlist.

I would be willing to re-activate the Spotify account if I could transfer my list to the Karcher but it isnā€™t one that Spotify supports and I wondered if there is a way to copy and play on the Karcher using a memory stick. Just so happens that I have yesterday received one for another purpose.

Thereā€™s no option to copy the files into other media just to play to other supported devices online.

No idea if this guide would help

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/free-music/

You donā€™t say which Karcher model youā€™ve bought - is it one listed here?

Although, from looking at their website (and trying my best to remember my GCSE German!) it looks like none of their products are compatible with Spotify.

Wiim mini is a well reviewed streamer that does most popular streamers.

1 Like

Yes, I saw this reviewed by Darko Audioā€¦ but Iā€™m not sure this is going to be any use for David as he doesnā€™t have a smartphone, iirc.

Good point.

Thanks for all the replies, but no time limit on Spotify apparently, 18 months after cancelling I can still log on and listen to my playlist on the computer.

As far as the Karcher is concerned, I didnā€™t bother to check the model as I checked a list of devices that they connect to on Spotify and no Karchers exist at all.

Not a big deal, just thought it would be nice to go to sleep listening to all my favourites, instead of all the others and the rabitting in between.

I do have a tablet but it is pretty old and I doubt if it would be up to Spotify, its all it can do to play me The Archers. :roll_eyes: :grinning: Also I expect I tried it before without success. Iā€™ll give it a look tomorrow just in case, if not Iā€™ll just have to carry on the way I am. I have fads for several weeks, Classic FM, Radio 2, World service and back to Classics but at the moment Iā€™m rather attached to the French station, Nostalgie. :joy:

2 Likes

I am quite partial to Gold Radio at the moment :sunglasses:

Yes they allow you to have a free account but you are subjected to adverts. Theyā€™re not as annoying as YouTubeā€™s adverts though.

3 Likes

Youā€™re probably right, though Iā€™d have a go, because it seems far easier to set a sleep timer with the ā€œmobileā€ Spotify app than on a laptop. As others have implied, the pattern nowadays is to create a smartphone app for a music device, instead of a remote control, because itā€™s cheaper. Most people using that sort of technology would have a smartphone anyway.

On the Spotify mobile app, a sleep timer is built-in.

With your laptop, youā€™d have to jig about with the sleep settings (itā€™s explained here: 4 Easy Ways to Set Spotify Sleep Timer on Any Device - Guiding Tech) because the desktop version has no sleep timer. Youā€™d also have to buy a cheap bluetooth speaker for your bedside, but theyā€™re available for under 20.

Or you could just get a smartphone! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :crazy_face:

Sorry.

1 Like

Having watched the mental and physical contortions of Annabel, one of Franā€™s aides, over the last 7 days just to get a new sim to work, no thank you. :rofl:

I might get a new tablet at some point though. :wink:

But everybody selling stuff tells lies. I bought a hospital table so Fran could eat easier in her bed and also her reclining wheelchair. It is fine, but over the bed she has to eat at the very end of it because the uprights that support it come up against the sidebars of the medical bed. :astonished:

Itā€™s a hospital table, made for hospital beds ffs, the sort of beds that have sidebars on them. :rage:

Jees hope she is a better aide than sim card fitter. Not difficult David, really wouldnt judge it from one person.

1 Like

I think it is her situation, no phone or internet connection at home, so she has to log on during her visits to people like us. She spent ages on my mobile trying to sort it out with her provider, fortunately at almost no cost to me due to the good deal on a bog standard non-smart contract with Leclerc. :joy:

Probably because she cannot get a signal where you are, nothing to do with the SIM itself.

1 Like

Hereā€™s a thoughtā€¦ Buy a dirt cheap, 2nd hand phone from Emmaus or le bon coin, or even ask your neighbours if their kids or grandkids have an ancient smartphone they wouldnā€™t be seen dead using in public. Donā€™t put a SIM card in it, just use it as a way of getting access to smartphone apps but without the ability to make phone calls. Connect it to your wireless network at home and install the Spotify app, then pair the not-fully-smartphone with your DAB radioā€¦ And enjoy Spotify whilst you fall asleep.

Cheaper than replacing your tablet or your DAB radio. And you get to keep your existing phone for making phone calls.

6 Likes

David, if you want to try this I have a few good condition older smartphones lying around you can have that I can post to you, if you want to try one.

4 Likes

Thank you both, and I may take up your kind offer @Griffin36 , but first tell me this. As I mentioned I have this rather old tablet, an Asus powered by Android (it tells me :roll_eyes:). would that not operate as an old smartphone in this context? If so, what do I have to do, I canā€™t find any help on it or Spotify?

As I said, I can get an Archers podcast (about the only thing I do with it) and it used to work away from a wifi signal, but not any more. I also used to use it for something called Truckfly. This, owned by Michelin, is a wonderful record of routier restaurants around France and also beyond. When I select it now a message says it no longer supports my device. :slightly_frowning_face: Good job I donā€™t need it anymore.

It will have too old a version of Android on it, most likely 4 or 5 and will not be supported by truckfly anymore.
You could try going into play store and do a search for
Spotify and see if it downloads, I think version 5 and above is supported by it.

By ā€˜play storeā€™, do you mean the list of apps and widgets which open when I press the group of 6 dots at the bottom of the screen? If so I have tried that and no mention of Spotify anywhere.