Sterling plummeting

In order to win guineas?

5 Likes

(He does get on one’s thruppenny bits)

1 Like

Mine was a smack around the head for daring to ask.

3 Likes

I don’t remember what my pocket money was, but around the age of six, I remember very clearly going down to the local jewellery shop with mum & dad, spilling out pennies, thrupenny bits and sixpences, reaching up to the counter, until there was enough there to buy my first wristwatch. How long I saved up I don’t know, but that became my first experience of being a customer, and what money was all about.

1 Like

You saved up! I blew mine on Mojo’s and Black Jacks , Four a penny or a farthing each

news flash - sterling just back up above 1.13 in last half hour after days of sub 1.13ish - seems there’s slower-than-expected US GDP data

don’t all rush at once.

2 Likes

I’m still holding out for 1.14 as missed it a few weeks back!

I remember those days & times when it was 1.4. Doubt if I’ll ever see that number again.

Friends are selling up, when they bought it soared to just above 1.4. Jammy donut that they are, I predict it will fall to near parity when they complete and want to shift their money back, watch out in September :blush:

You haven’t got your glasses on! 1.14 is my aim, not 1.4!!

(We bought in 2000 at 1.65 - happy days!)

I was just reminiscing about 1.40 - don’t remember 1.65.

I bought my house in 1985 in francs at 10 francs to the pound sterling. Happy days - I liked the Franc!

When I took all my old francs to the bank to exchange £100 worth of francs (coins) for euros the cashier looked at them, said they were too dirty and walked away closing the till door. Was she rude & frosty? Yes she bloody well was…!!!

3 Likes

Shhhhhh, 1.139!

Bollocks, changed £100 on my Revolut account yesterday, lost a euro…:disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Its 0.00014 under 1.14, so exciting 5 more euros to spend :joy:

Soaring!! 1.14019 :+1::blush:

Better make sure @JaneJones knows about it - that was her point of activity!

1 Like

Drat, my pension came through today a couple of days early and looks like it was at 1,13. Amazing how every little change makes a difference to whether you get a bit more or a bit less.

About £1 = 1,525€

Not bad, back in the good old days! Never to be seen again, unhappily…I would guess…