Stoking xenophobia

This is an example of the sort of constant low-level anti-EU/anti members of the EU propaganda in the UK media. Very interesting when you analyse it a bit.

2 Likes

Read this yesterday, pathetic bit of "reporting ".

1 Like

So what actually happened then ?

Big bad Spanish boat passing Gibraltar was “chased off” by a little brave British warship :wink:

That’ll teach those dirty forrins !!

Wasn’t the Spanish warship in UK waters without permission? Apparently this happens dozens of time a year so hardly a big deal.

3 Likes

The article says “approaching British waters near Gibraltar” so either in its own waters what with geographical propinquity an’ all, or in international waters.

But no we have to have the whole sinking of the Revenge/sir John Moore at Corunna/bowls on Plymouth Hoe in the face of the Armada schtick.

Pass the sick bucket.

3 Likes

I know you can’t read the whole article but the headline says it all -

Whatever claim Spain has over Gibraltar this just looks like yet another deliberate act on their part, of course that doesn’t fit the narrative though. :wink:

3 Likes

The irony is that in economic terms Gibraltar is a disgrace - its economy leans heavily on a very poorly regulated ‘financial services’ sector, equally poorly regulated online services (mainly gambling!), and smuggling. Come to think of it - pretty much the brexiters’ plan for the whole UK economy - an island of unregulated cowboy capitalism parasiting off the EU’s attempts to protect its people!

5 Likes

Johnson will need to do more than rely on ‘Dunkirk spirit’ to stay afloat!

1 Like

The Falklands must be concerned right now looking towards Argentina - Johnson would leap at a similar campaign right now.

The irony is that despite Gib being the embodiment of much that the free marketeer Brexiters hold dear and the place being a bit like some counter-factual version of 1950’s England (Isle of Wight on the Med anyone?) the Gibraltarians still voted Remain. Despite their longstanding ties to Britain, these people wanted to remain EU citizens.

Most colonial era enclaves are unstable historical anomalies and I don’t see this one as an exception.

At first didn’t realise that there were two boats in the picture, thought that ‘the tiny RN boat’ was the (not that big) ‘Spanish warship’! Presumably on this basis most British - sorry, ‘English’ - coxed rowing eights could probably see off any Spanish warship smaller than a destroyer…

Rule Britannia!

1 Like

At first didn’t realise that there were two boats in the picture, thought that ‘the tiny RN boat’ was the (not that big) ‘Spanish warship’! Presumably on this basis most British - sorry, ‘English’ - coxed rowing eights could probably see off any Spanish warship smaller than a destroyer…

Rule Britannia!

I always find the Spanish anger over Gibraltar amusing when they insist on keeping hold of their enclaves in Morocco.

3 Likes

That’s former imperial powers for you

Exactly, all as bad and hypocritical as each other.

1 Like

“The Gibraltarians voted to remain and to be EU citizens”,i should think they did,anyone with half a brain that live in the EU would have to have been kicked in the head by a horse(lol) to have voted leave.

I have it from a well-informed source that he relies most heavily on the Russian spirit…

2 Likes

Coming from Portsmouth news, I’m not really surprised.