Stop The Boats

True filtering would involve subscribing to the OnlyFans for research purposes, but I’m afraid that is just a step too far for me… :face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

13 Likes

Never a truer word was said. RIP Tony Benn. They don’t make many like you.

5 Likes

Ahhh… Wedgie.

Whenever I see Marine Le Pen, I think of her father and Enoch Powell.

HIGNFY, Metal Detectorists, Springwatch (other seasons are or should I say were available), Dragons Nest, Happy Valley. I do spend more time listening to BBC Radio esp R4 ‘Infinite Monkey Cage’, From Our Own Correspondent’, Today, PM, Just A Minute and lots more beside.

1 Like

With that view should we put a stop to carnivals like Notting Hill, and the Eisteddfod or any cultural gathering.
And why can’t we all just follow John Lennon’s example ‘Imagine’

1 Like

What continually disappoints me is that many people who support the government are actually second or even third generation immigrants themselves, they have benefited greatly from migration but now want to stop others from having the same opportunities.

4 Likes

You mean Pritti Patel?

And Braverman, Sunac and more?

Examples of the Drawbridge diaspora sadly.

2 Likes

It does feel rather like people (not meaning contributors here but rather the Anglo/ Western world generally) do sometimes fall into the trap of putting the fact that someone has benefited from immigration at the centre of their personality rather than looking at that in context of all the other environmental influences. Thinking of the macro ones here, given how incredibly right wing much of the Indian sub continent has become for example, is it really surprising that even second or third generation immigrants lean to the right side of the right? Perhaps it is, I’m not sure, but when you look at those peoples parents or perhaps grandparents they often have those views too.

One of the bizarre things in this discourse around having a non-white PM, and non-white representation in government, is that actually (my entirely anecdotal evidence so not to be taken seriously) there seems to be a significant number of predominantly south East Asian local councillors in parts of the UK, and you’ll overwhelmingly find them to be Conservative, and of the hard right side of the party. The cliche being the local businessman and perhaps funny handshake partaker who has ‘pulled himself up by his bootstraps’ since he/his parents arrived and has built a thriving empire, social climbing in the local business community and the connected social circles. The fact that someone benefited from immigration themselves rarely seems to figure with these sorts of people, unless perhaps it’s of benefit to them. The number of anti-freedom of movement people (of all ages, backgrounds and ethnic groups) who suddenly see the light of day, at least privately if not publicly, when they can’t find staff and it starts damaging their business for example.

Everything I’ve said is of course a huge generalisation, and is more just Saturday morning musing over a coffee rather than something to be taken as well thought out arguments, but it’s an interesting topic.

5 Likes

I wasn’t thinking of the current Tory MP’s/Ministers nor local councillors but political commentators who pop up on the new right leaning news channels and on tv shows such as Jeremy Vine or Politics live. Most are of direct African or Afro Caribbean descent rather than SE Asian which is even more surprising.

James, “horde”, not “hoard”.

3 Likes

Sorry, and thank you, @Vivien_Millet I missed that but, popping up after 9 years just to correct a typo? Priceless. :rofl:

I enjoy reading the comments and at first there was a problem with my email so since then I haven’t tried to respond. This morning I felt moved to do something I wouldn’t normally do - correct someone’s English (this was an English mistake, not a typo!) - because the poster had himself criticised Gary Lineker’s English as being uneducated, which I thought was uncalled-for.

Envoyé depuis l’application Mail Orange

3 Likes

@Vivien_Millet
That’s why I pointed out the lack of wisdom in not checking SPAG and for typos, before making mean remarks about a person’s education.

Fair enough, I wasn’t having a go at you, it was just that the panel above your name and your short response suddenly caused a spontaneous outburst of hilarity on my part for some reason. :wink: :smiley:

@vero I agree entirely and my posts often get misplaced because I am busy doing just that, checking. :smiley:

3 Likes

Well at last it has been said with better chosen words than mine:
“…Lineker’s well-meant but ill-judged words…” - which was my point.
“For all the furore over the Lineker tweet, there is an echo between the debate now and that in the 1930s. An echo not of Nazi policy but of Britain’s shameful response to Jewish refugees; and an echo not just of the response in the 1930s, but over a much longer period.”
"There is no need to draw lazy comparisons between British policy and language and those of Nazi Germany. The echoes of Britain’s own shameful policies of the past are clear enough."
Get it now?

Source:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/19/gary-lineker-stop-the-boats-does-echo-language-of-30s-but-in-britain

Why would you say this? Do you have no idea how to speak to others online? General etiquette suggests not to use terms like “Get it now?” as even if that’s in no way the intention you could just come across as overly aggressive. We can’t tell if you’re saying it while jabbing your finger and contorting your face into a rage or with a beaming smile and kind eyes. If someone ends with “Get it now?” often they just appear to be a jerk, even though they likely have no intent to appear so. Internet etiquette can be a tricky thing.

5 Likes

I’m going to stir this and will get into trouble for it but I would say this particular type of rudeness etc. is American.

Am I right?

Get it now?

2 Likes