Stop The Boats

If you look back through the posts, you’ll see that my initial remarks merely stated the same thing (that Lineker’s statement was clumsy, ill-judged - as The Guardian also points out). My comment was then met with ridicule and insults about my spelling mistakes. My reply of “Get it now?” was simply in answer to those people.

That’s it, keep digging…

2 Likes

The chair admonishes Suella Braverman - a lawyer don’t forget - about disrespecting House rules in the chamber.

1 Like

For all those saying “We don’t have room in UK!” “They are taking houses and healthcare away from us!” and “They are economic migrants, not refugees!”

When, if ever, will we find compassion over self interest or complacency?

6 Likes

I am not sure if the the government has abandoned the barges idea, as too expensive. Surely, couldn’t be out of compassion.

The idea of putting refugees, who have risked all crossing water when they in all likelihood cannot swim, indefinitely onto floating barges, makes me feel ill.

It’s clearly there because the UK has taken in 155K Ukranian refugees which is way more than France.

Perhaps the difference is the colour their skin?

I wouldn’t care to say

What’s wrong with that, so am I. :smiley:

Not a criticism of you of course @Susannah, I know you were quoting. :grinning:

1 Like

I think more Ukrainians wanted to go to the UK than France? No?

I believe the Ukraine refugees, many of whom speak quite a bit of English, also have business and/or family historical connections with UK.

Amazingly, against France ~119,000 refugees and UK ~ 161,400, Germany has taken in over 1,000,000. Poland ~1,563,000.

Although the statistic doesn’t specify, I believe most of these numbers are women and that a fair number are children.

This may also be in part the reason Ukrainian refugees have been so much more readily accepted within host countries.

The current government were basically shamed into accepting more Ukrainian refugees. By July last year France had accepted and resettled over 100,000 refugees whereas the UK had only 22,000. They had given visas to more than that many people but the slowness of checking people and finding them places to stay limited the number actually entering the UK.
The UK government preferred to rely on the general public to sort out the issue(just like with food banks etc) whilst bunging them £350 per month. In France, the government organised and mobilised the effort to find the refugees somewhere to live and work.
Only after lengthy criticism from other countries and from the public did the UK speed up the process.

3 Likes

There is a disconnect between the majority of the UK population and the UK government, most people (despite what the media say) are compassionate and caring and were/are happy to help Ukraine refugees and hate how the government are treating people in the asylum system.

3 Likes

I tend to be a bit more cynical that it’s because they “look like us” and that’s why the response is much different to that offered to Syrian, Afghan, etc refugees, many of whom have been suffering just as much as Ukrainians and for much longer.

2 Likes

Sadly, this may be so. A real difficulty for host countries is assimilation of refugees.

Unfortunately, as experience in France, which has be ongoing for decades shows, immersion and assimilation is vital for host country’s acceptance. Stong religious and cultural difference make this very difficult.

None of those apply in the case of the refugees from Ukraine. Although, it does seem to for those from Albania.

1 Like

She wouldn’t need surgery to make her nose grow longer, I am not familiar with the case my arse :roll_eyes: it’s the truth honest.

Suella Braverman says Rwanda is safe for migrants despite evidence of 2018 killings

I hope Ms Bravermann will prove that by taking a holiday in Rwanda without any entourage

4 Likes

There’s a much larger Ukrainian community in England than in France, which dates back to WWII - sixty years ago half the kids in my primary school class were had Ukrainian or Polish surnames whilst the other half were mainly Irish. Ad then there was myself and the kid who sat next to me, Gino Principato - not a Smith nor a Brown to be seen!

With this stop the boat debate….aren’t the French wanting to do doing the same in their own country?

Too much immigration is the hot topic. It’s the topic.

Maybe, just maybe the French want to protect the Dordogne and stop the Portsmouth - Caen boat. The St Malo Boat ?,

Just entering that into the debate.

Or are the British the right colour ?

The French can stop the Dover Calais route at their leisure. As we have just learnt.

I don’t think we have just learned any such thing (although I agree that it is true). We’ve learned that Dover is, for all sorts of reasons, exquisitely sensitive to small increases in workload and processing times - presumably because it constantly runs close to 100% capacity.

I think there was also a flow issue because of bad weather.