Stop The Boats

It’s heartening to see his co-presenters standing up for Lineker, but the move by the BBC is very revealing as to who is pulling the strings.

6 Likes

The fact that the other 2 are having a night off too might encourage the people who are interested in football to wonder if the government and the Daily Mail have got this right.

Alex Scott is also not appearing

My friend wears an Islamic scarf but it’s definitely her own choice and she chooses some beautiful fabrics and ornate pins I once stopped on my way to work and realised it was another Islamic friend I was letting cross the road. She was wearing a cropped top skinny jeans and a scarf

1 Like

I hope it snowballs and the twat at the top and his Conservatwit paymasters are forced to backtrack.

1 Like

Even worse…! :scream:

1 Like

During the noughties and beyond, I made many visits to Turkey, particularly giving annual conference papers at Fatih University a liberal international university in Istanbul, that in 2016 was closed by Erdogan’s government (trivial digression - the many US faculty used to call it Fah-tih University whereas the local academics pronounced it as ‘Farty’).

Anyhow after I’d made several visits, I noticed that most of the female students had started wearing headscarves, but when I mentioned this to the American staff, they said it had greatly increased because Islamic dress had become more fashionable, rather than it necessarily indicating an upsurge in religious conservatism amongst young people.

OTOH Erdogan’s government isn’t composed of young, well-educated people.

Thanks Graham,

I lead a fairly restricted news media life (mainly NYT and Fr24 and assorted French papers) so hadn’t ever watched Sky News before - weird format - do they record everything on a cell phone? OTOH, I suppose that keeps the costs down…

And very sexy underwear as well. Just in case someone may think this is a joke, or sexist, or in poor taste. It’s not.

When Campbell was interviewed on BBC News, this was how they introduced him…! :person_facepalming:

Good on him for calling it out.

2 Likes

Wow… So they suspended Linekar without first arranging a replacement?

It has rather rapidly become a poisoned chalice.

Or, as the Daily Star puts it…

:rofl:

How to wreck the BBC.

First appoint a placeman Tory chairman, then create a furore about a fairly innocuous comment.

The Right is already anti-BBC; the Left is becoming likewise.

The Suq al Hamidiyya in Damascus was a treasure trove of frilly musical underwear back in the 1980s.

2 Likes

MOTD commentators now no longer doing the show tomorrow, so no presenter, no pundits and no commentators:

1 Like

I had wondered how the BBC news would handle reporting it.

Quite so. It may be a bit hard for men to understand, being and feeling beautiful is rather essential to many a woman. Not merely for a man’s benefit, though perhaps sometimes it can also be about joining in and keeping up with ‘the girls’. Make up can be an art form!

Not, I’m aware, a very British trait but maybe next time you travel you may notice how beautifully dressed are the Italian tourists, even in the heat and dust.

I have also just realised the wisdom of Apple face ID. Not just for Covid mask wearing but to appeal to a larger, wealthy, masked market!

1 Like

Are you suggesting that “men” never dress well or make an effort to look their best? Although I agree most of us do not wear makeup. I am sure it is an art form but I have always seen a large difference between a beautifully madeup person and a beautiful person. I do not like heavy makeup on a woman. Whereas a well dressed person is a well dressed person, and I like that in both or should I say all sexes.

I never liked the taste of lipstick and was relieved when I persuaded my (now) wife to stop wearing it.

2 Likes