Subtitles, and their reason for being

I must admit that I am seriously thinking of closing my Netflix FR account, about 90% of it is of no interest to me at all. But the 10% which is not bad I would be prepared to continue to pay for.

If only they would change their subtitle policy. They seem to think that subs are needed just to allow people to watch films in a language they do not understand. But what about the deaf and hard of hearing?

Scandinavian films are a case in point. Because English is so widely understood and spoken they often break into English ( recent cross border Finnish/Swedish film was a case in point) and the subtitles disappear. Not only the Scandis though. Last night I was watching a French documentary about a serial killer who, with his wife, had killed over a period of many years and one victim had been an English au pair girl. The programme then included long interviews with an English detective and the girl’s family. The subtitles ceased at that point and I was in the ridiculous position of watching people speaking in English while reading subtitles in French which I had been forced to switch to in order not to miss the substance. :astonished:

1 Like

Normally you can shut the subtitles down, I always do if the film can be viewed in english without them.

I don’t think that’s David’s point. We have the same problem David. We too have English subtitles on all the time and find Netflix’s policy of not including them infuriating.
We are at a time in our lives where American accents, regional accents, muttering, background music too loud means that most of the stuff we watch we cannot follow unless we have English subtitles up.
We were able to watch Foyles War without subtitles - cut glass accents :grin:
We only discovered Broadchurch late in the day and thought great, we can catch up on Netflix - Nope! Only subtitles? French!

2 Likes

In general the authors of subtitles do recognise that there are two distinct audiences for subtitles and might well have both “English for the hard of hearing” and â€‰ “English for non-English speakers” subtitles available.

Whether an individual production has all the subtitles that you want, and whether they survive broadcast or streaming is a totally different question, of course.

David - if your French is good enough have you considered engaging French subtitles? Presumably as both Finnish/Swedish and English are foreign from the French perspective all would be translated for you.

1 Like

My point exactly and precisely, I want the S/Ts in English even when I am listening to English dialogue, and @billybutcher , yes I can though it does require a level of speed reading that I am not always comfortable with over a long period. I can eat my meal flashing glances to take in the whole of an English S/T in an instant but with French I have to read it in full and not to mention the not so simultaneous translation in my brain.

And, as I said, last night I did switch to French subs when they started speaking English with no subs and even continued to the end in French when they started speaking in that language again.

I think what I should do is watch more French films with French subtitles in future to improve and quicken my comprehension. Now, on that point, Netflix has French subs for French dialogue so why can’t they have English subs for English dialogue? Someone in that organisation obviously recognises the hard of hearing aspect of the things.

2 Likes

I think that this is a general thing - it seems much more common to have subs for the hard of hearing *only* in the original language of the production - the justification presumably being that there is not a lot of difference between the two audiences for non-original languages (but this can fall down in multi-language productions, as you note).

At least they are subtitled, not dubbed :face_vomiting:

1 Like

perhaps if you were effectively watching in the UK as such, using a VPN, that would be an option?
May be it’s a regional thing

I have found on visits to Poland they screen a lot of US films and shows and even worse than dubbing they have the ‘Lecturn’(nor sure of spelling). This is usually a male who reads ALL the actors lines. Infuriating when you can’t turn it off.
I get frustrated with French films we buy on DVD and they only have English subtitles. We like to improve our French switching between English and French subtitles. Fortunately that’s when Netflix comes into it’s own. I can understand David’s frustration though.

1 Like

Yes, I think you are making the same point as @billybutcher, subs for the deaf are only in the country of the streamer/broadcaster, in this case France. I’ll just have to brush up on my French reading skills then, not sure if that avoids American spelling and idiom though.

I simply couldn’t continue watching what you describe though @MichaelL. That would definitely be out for me.

1 Like

great minds think alike :wink:

1 Like

Can’t bear it either. Fortunately we are able to use Netflix and Amazon Prime now when we visit.

I stopped watching UK / US based media a few years ago, and wasn’t a big TV viewer even before, but I enjoy watching some French TV - mainly Arte online (what a wonderful resource!) , live football and those car restoration progs, but all with French subtitles because my reading is better than my listening. Also because the French spoken on TV isn’t like wot they speak around here! (12).

I’m sure my transactional spoken French, particulalrly au marchĂ©, must come across similarly to those foreign Premier League footballers who speak English with various regional English accents. Je voudrais-a u-nĂ© poitrine-ne d’agneau - all the emphasis is on the final syllable of each word, which I remember long ago being taught to sort of swallow rather than emphatically stress.

1 Like

Yes, but that is another case for this thread. My main interest on that is wildlife documentaries and quite often they don’t have subtitles. A major failing of that channel imo.

You might enjoy some of these programmes listed on the link below. When I lived in S Africa, I was amazed by the depth of knowledge expected of viewers of wild life docus (especially local ornithology). Of course most of the experts were white Afrikaans speakers and they’re not so common these days. Nevertheless the progammes were usually in English or 50/50.

https://www.google.com/search?q=watch+south+african+wild+life+documentaries+online+free&oq=watch+south+African+wild+life+documentaries+online&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j33i10i160l2.21827j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

We get Arte with Orange. There are always subtitles in French.

1 Like

Is that strange then? I know nothing about such things but don’t things like subtitles originate from the makers of the programmes rather than the method of transmission? Ours comes from Fransat.

Normally, I think, I’m not very techy either, it is you that tells your box how you want to view stuff. If I understand they generally broadcast with all the options and you see what you choose??

Well all I can say is I click for subs and they are offered or not. In my experience with Arte they frequently are not.

Why subtitles or audio isn't available in a specific language This is from netflix’s helpline and it seems to be copyright issues in various countries
 I use my VPN to get around it as I like some of the German and Scandinavian TV series.

2 Likes

Interestingly, I find that with the VPN on. I can view a selection that is different to those offered on Netflix.fr without the VPN.

The only slight bug is that Netfix keep introducing a pop-up that asks me to remove the VPN. My work around is to alter the VPN (Nord, so lots) and continue. Works well as long as you have the patience.

1 Like