Suffering for our art

Although it's rather hot today, I have just finished a new painting for an upcoming show in September and it's gone the middle of August! Despite the paint drying too quickly and my hand and arm sticking to the canvas it is done, except I will look at it over the next few weeks to see if anything needs changing -I value my wife's comments as well as any others. This one is 80cm square but I haven't got a title yet.

Very nice, Neil. It calls to mind an artist whose work I admired very much when living in South America. Henry Vitor. Do you know his work?

http://www.henryvitor.com.br/

Martha

Some of the greatest...OR shall I put it another way....talked about and suceesful arists had styles which took

them beyond.

Lucien Freud did not get features in true focus...his portraits eXagerated the eccentricity of

the subject and the painter.

Having watched his antics and expressions through the years whilst cooking for him and the family I began to see that an arist sees and puts expresion in stranger places. I have noticed

the ideas from Damien Hurst and the occasional reject from Hockney in Powis Terrace I can

say that there really is no need to paint ....unless it is done with feeling and with the occasional hint of

personality.oohps ...

we seem to have hi-jacked Neil's Post, sorry Neil. No, Suzy I fell ill a year or two into my stay at JWT. Although I did have a pretty successful run owner/ managing below-the-line agencies, subsequently sourcing and employing an array of talent: photographers, writers, technical illustrators and so on... the staffing levels gradually reducing as more and more technology came on board. The fact remains, good or bad, that most things can be and are carried out by one person and a box of tricks. I got out 10 years back, but have remained enthusiastic about new media, still pleased to have worked through the early days, and I'm pretty sure that dexterous skills, good concepts, communication etc still play a part. I doubt whether I could cope in a large concern today, especially en France... always fearful that a committee designed Donkey is a Camel... don't think that's changed. lol

I see what you say about the reticence to be original, in the 70s originality was crucial; when the Macs arrived it was in Vogue to produce work like everyone else's. I have noticed a marked new appreciation here for, let's say, design appreciation, which I find refreshing.

So did you leave art direction and retire to france? I do storyboards so dont work in agencies but I see how frustrating it is for les creatifs. The client has more say in how the film turns out than the art director;and being France everyones scared of trying anything different.So not much creativity in Paris agencies. I also paint in oils but its easier to get out the box of watercolours.....

thanks Suzy, Kate studied Textiles at the WSCD but now concentrates on Watercolours. I do love the medium and am in awe of the better users. I've been in France 8 years, done 3 paintings, one of which is still not finished Ha! hey ho

Yes, Berkeley Square was a lovely place to work, but as you say 1000 staff...Neil cut his teeth in the Agencies too, happy days indeed. The Old guard of Ridley Scott, Bridget Reilly etc seemed hungry for new blood, which we hippy types were happy to supply. I didn't quite realise how top notch the whole scene was at the time, it all seemed second nature. I don't remember Cathy, but judging by the exotic aroma in the studios, I 'd be surprised if anyone from the era remembers anything! Hi end creativity and Paris must also be a heady mix, Suzy...quite jealous.

Started at CPV just round the corner from JWT (when agencies could afford offices in the heart of Mayfair) moved on to Dorlands. I had a friend at JWT,art director,Cathy Bradley.You probably didnt know her,it was rather big.

Crumbs Suzy, me too, J.Walter Thompson '71

Art director in advertising? I started off in advertising agencies in London in the 70's,when it was fun.......not quite the same these days.Still in the business but in Paris.

I looked at Kate Osbornes work,like her flower paintings.

Hi Suzy, I was an Art Director, so I commissioned illustrators and photographers. Although I do champion excellence ( gratis ) through various Portals Google thewebcircle

Checkout Kate Osborne who has a style not unlike your own superb watercolours.

Whats your style of painting Ron,got a website?

Me too Ron....the proportions I think are absolutely on target. We were in Arcachon yesterday and there was a an exhibition of local art being set up for the evening....some very large canvases....and one particular artist who was displaying naive paintings...not totally unlike yours...to my mind they were the absolute best.

Great stuff...keep painting...

Hi there Neil...I really love this and think it would look wonderful on a large white wall...quite stunning...

I've just joined the group and look forward to discovering the talent here...I'm a member of a small group called D'Arte en Fenouillede and we have lots of little exhibitions etc, during the summer in particular.

Carole

dribble... ( Simsonesque ) brekky sounds scrummy

Why do messages arrive out of sequence?

Like the 'lignes des vignes' Jo.

Use acrylic medium with the paints and if I over painted the cloud it could still be visible

Simsonesque as in Bart?

Excellent breakfasts here at Chateau Lahon complete with egg, fried bread, sausage and beans, a real artists breakfast not namby-pamby crowsants.

don't know much about breakfasts Mrs. Blackmore...but I know what I like

mmmmmmmm is there a breakfast only course?

looks like Neil may have to add a hack-saw to his artist's tool box, laugh out loud!

Baguette + confitures, croissant, orange juice, tea/coffee (proper stuff - none of your instant muck). Tempted?