Survive France Users' Brexit Poll

Kerching Vero - you nailed it again - on the money! That was most definitely a laugh out loud moment - brilliant!! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you Véronique you have made the point that I was trying to make perfectly.

Please can you list the ex EU countries. I thought that Britain was the first to go through the leaving process. I stand to be corrected. Thank you.

Are you saying that the baker was breaking the law by employing the Lithuanians but paying them less than minimum wage?

No, with respect you do not Veronique. You may see bad mannered Brits failing to greet the proprietor in his or her language but it is still a French shop offering the goods. Where the takeover is complete and it is a Brit owning the shop and offering goods to fellow Brits in English you might see slight French impatience move to real concern.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Err… Brits owning shops selling British goods to British clients? There are plenty of those around.

2 Likes

We have those too!

I wasn’t privy to the contract but its possible.

Not where I live.

There are no Indian or Chinese restaurants or takeaways in the English town that I grew up in but I believe that there are in other parts of the country. Just because they weren’t on my doorstep didn’t mean that they did not exist.

Are you talking about paying the minimum wage? If so surely if that’s true it’s the baker who has caused the problem not the Eastern European workers. From what I’ve seen the fines for paying below minimum wage are pretty steep.

Then you have led a sheltered life.

Please explain. Are you suggesting that those nasty foreigners are going into your country, the one you don’t live in, and working for an honest British employer who is refusing to pay them the minimum wage? If so the story that started with a tale about a xenophobic young man who was working with foreign colleagues, who like him were European citizens, has gone from bad to worse!

Again you miss the point. No-one objects to a migrant setting up a business as you describe. The curry mile in Rusholme Manchester was one of the great joys. The food though was/is offered in a menu that is in both English and the “home” countries language, and the language used in taking the order is English. Taken to its limit, as it has been done in parts of the the UK, you end up with a parallel culture in which there is perceived a challenge to the home culture.

1 Like

You really are describing what has happened in so many areas of France where British entrepreneurs have opened shops, bars, restaurants, garages and even garden centres to provide familiar goods in a familiar language. My French friends find this practise odd and sometimes amusing but they don’t see them being in competition with their own shops.

Thank you Tim, well put; and just a small few points. …maybe i flagged it to respond to the wrong person…but i did mean Tim’s post.

hmm that attempt at belittling , doesn’t actually make you look very good David. Every time somebody posts substance…ok i will say an argument for the Brexit - because you will just argue the point on substance. Every time somebody post for the Brexit side, you try and belittle them… How about letting people have their say, without being hung out to dry ?

3 Likes

Glenn, I’m not belittling anyone but I am questioning some very questionable arguments for Brexit. The main one being that I cannot believe how a British citizen taking advantage of his right to work and reside in another EU country can make such negative comments about other EU citizens who have used the same rules to move to Britain. For my sins I’ve been called silly and presumably been called a monkey as well, a bit of name calling that is taken very seriously when used in a racist context.
I have lived and worked in Europe since 1986 and in that time colleagues whether they have been German, Dutch, Slovakian or French have welcomed me into their workplace, their family homes and their lives. I’m so glad that they did not see me as a foreigner who had come to take their jobs and undermine their pay structure.

1 Like

How on earth did you come up with that idea? This comment has just proved you would seek an argument and want the last word in an empty room.

2 Likes