Survive France Users' Brexit Poll

Please tell me which idea.

The one I linked my
reply to.

Basically from Tim’s post number 103 and many of his comments since then.

David, you really did start the slanging match. To describe a contributor as a “hypocrite” from word one emphasizes the point I was making about Simon, and now you. Re the point you made to Poppy I was not questioning their right to move to Britain and work at all. I was reporting the reaction of one reasonable human being who voted with his feet. I though that was what Simon was asking for: an opinion on Why?

I’ve explained exactly why I think you are a hypocrite; one rule for you another for Lithuanian bakery workers. It’s not a slanging match it’s sharing points of view or debating. I’ve not resorted to name calling.

David: You seem incapable of distinguishing two basic concepts. I reported a position that someone took in a context in which I was not directly involved. I am not challenging the Lithuanians right to work in the UK and nowhere is that suggested in my posts. I am reporting the reaction by another human being to a particular situation in which, for some 8 hours he had no conversation in his own language. That, I think, might have some relevance to the Brexit vote. I am described as a hypocrite because you wilfully wish to conflate two entirely different arguments.

The suggestion that I used a racist term is laughable and indicates just how far you will go to win an argument.

I was stating a fact about the monkey comment. I believe the same word has cost a few well know people a lot of money in fines. Please don’t try to blame me for your playground tactics.

1 Like

That’s not right - please take a look at my original comments at post 54. For me it’s quite simply about real examples of any benefits of leaving the EU and / or how the EU adversely affects you on a daily basis i.e. ‘‘When the UK leaves the EU it will be better for me because…’’ or ‘’ The UK being in the EU adversely affects my daily life because…‘’ - fill in the gaps.

I’ll give you something to get us started around …let’s say…Sovereignty:

Ken%20Clark

I am working on full responses to Glenn and Tim but fear that by the time I post them, most members following this discussion will have lost the will to live. Anyway I’m going to sleep on my diatribes…:slight_smile:

If this reply is to me then I truly despair and wont rise to your bait.

You asked a question I answered it, no bait. Tim stated that the European workers were undercutting the local workers and added that I must have lived a sheltered life if I’d never seen it happen. I can only comment on what’s written, it’s all there for you to read.
I’ve just looked at your post history and you’re not going to like or agree with whatever I say so why should I expect a few facts to change anything.

I was going to pitch into this thread but was busy at work and find that it has exploded - probably by the time I actually get a response together to some of the points raised they will be even further up the page.

Fortunately Simon has saved me some work as this his post makes one of the points I wanted to about sovereignty.

We never lost sovereignty, or were anything other than a sovereign nation - we did cede some sovereignty voluntarily but had the power to take it back - as has been demonstrated by the vote. Unfortunately what we have done is a little like striking all the matches in the box to make sure that they work.

What of our new found control? Will it alter the lives of the common man?

What did we want control over - our borders for instance. Disregarding the fact that the Leave campaign played on the common man’s inability to differentiate between EU immigrants, non-EU immigrants, illegal immigrants and asylum seekers - we did not “control” the number coming in before the referendum so why should we be more successful after we have pulled out of the EU. Certainly fewer EU citizens will wish to come to work here - and I’m sure that the government will take credit but I suspect that the overall number of migrants will not fall all that much.

Why not? - well, because it has been politically expedient to import labour from “cheaper” sources than the home market. This is especially true of qualified workers because we avoid paying for all or part of their training, but it is also true of the oft-maligned fruit and vegetable pickers. You can argue about the merits of a business model that depends on low paid eastern European labour and you can bemoan “undercutting” of the UK market but farmers often can’t get UK labour at any price (and many do pay at least the “living wage”).

So unless we are prepared to put more into training everyone from lorry drivers to doctors and nurses and insist that anyone on the dole for more than three months takes a potato picking job if there is one (hint: we won’t do either) then we will have to import labour from somewhere.

So acquiring “sovereignty” which we can’t or won’t use is a very pyrrhic victory.

What else? - oh yes, trade. Well, the US has a protectionist president, we’re having a big row with the Russians, China, Japan and others will want to conclude deals with the EU first and any trade deal where we don’t just bend over and take what a larger partner wants (hint: the UK and US or the UK and China are not equal partners in any deal) will take years to negotiate and ratify (what did CETA take, 7 years?).

Again “sovereignty” which we can’t or won’t use.

So I don’t see that we were somehow not a sovereign nation as a member of the EU, we have gained very little by “taking back” the sovereignty that we did cede and the cost is likely to be enormous.

For this (and many other) reasons Brexit in the way we are approaching it is the most bone headed thing any nation has done to itself ever.

7 Likes

Due to the heated nature of this thread I have made it a private group discussion so that it is not visible to the public, if you commented previously you’ll be part of the group. You can also choose to leave the group too if you like.

Please ask if you have any queries :slight_smile:

This is not an invitation to start trading insults by the way :angry: stay polite as always and remember the rule!

1 Like

yes Simon you are soooooo agressive that why your posts get so many likes :stuck_out_tongue: As always I do like reading your well though out arguments and often people find that “aggressive” when you are challenging something they dont believe or it challenges their opinion. Love the fact of and for my main point… followed by your one spelling error, seems that was more important that the rest of it. Keep on posting and will keep on liking.

2 Likes

Cheers Harry - I appreciate that. I often find it really difficult to find the right words and express myself ‘properly’ - drives me mad!!

It’s a shame this discussion has gone a bit off-piste and been ‘relegated’ - it feels like a bit of a waste of time, especially as it started as a survey. I’d prepared some ‘thought out’ responses but think I’ll sleep on them for the time being. See - I’m trying …

4 Likes

Don’t hold back i was feeling crappy this morning (under the weather) and your “stuff” put a smile on my face.

Topics often go off topic im used to it now but its always a great discussion.

The stuff you write is always good and its enjoyed by a majority of readers.

It’s quite interesting to note how quiet this thread has become since it has been confined to a smaller audience. I won’t draw any conclusions. Maybe it just happened to run it’s course at the same time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi James.

As the orginal function of this thread was a public survey, it’s main reason to ‘exist’ has now been taken away.

It attracted a wide response when online, so maybe going offline make some people think, “why bother to contribute”.

Also, the contributers from both sides of the argument might think they are in the ‘dog house’ by your actions?

Cheers

Martin

2 Likes

I think there’s a pretty good response to the survey, approx 180, so the discussion is still open to all those who have been involved since its inception three weeks ago. Last night it began to deteriorate slightly, nothing major, but I decided to move it to a private room so that it’s not off putting to new or potential members (it is a fact that people feel intimidated by these threads and it’s bad business to encourage people to your restaurant and have them leave when they hear shouting at the door). This idea (Room 101) has been floated numerous times previously and this looks like a good opportunity to trial it.

Feedback is needed so thanks for your thoughts, what does everyone else think, do you feel like less inclined to post for a particular reason? This is not my intention so please let me know :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t think of anything to write about Lithuanian bakers.