Survive ...whats next? Do you know how..? Plus ! Goble-de-Gook!

From best scientific evidence, and that includes all the theories about major climate changes in the past, El Niño and La Niña in the present etc. Its seems clear that survival on Earth may well become more difficult, quite quickly.
Thinking about vital, basic information, for reasonably comfortable survival, in almost any circumstances, as an entertaining pass time, was more than just a fun thing in my childhood, mid ww2, so maybe that’s why now, considering ways to beat the worst of climate problems, is significant, but interesting, much more than depressing
City folk, especially, may have almost no experience or ideas about how to manage loss of power or water supplies, no way at all to deal with sewage or waste. But of course people around the world, do face crises like those, and find good solutions, even in the worst times.
I think I’ve learned most from considering lives of poorest people. Refugees, as aliens, and those who have survived destruction of everything that was familiar to them.
I suppose first and most important, is consideration of a present in the moment survival mind?
Basic needs will be managed from that first understanding?

2 Likes

I feel we have more chance of survival here in rural France than when we lived in suburbia, south of London. We have land, we could have livestock - chickens, rabbits, goats maybe. We could grow most, if not all, of our own fruit and veg. We are surrounded by woodland and already burn wood. Solar panels are big in this area, though we don’t have any (yet). We have an underground water tank and neighbouring land has springs. We could dig a small reservoir. All our neighbours are farmers / smallholders and a barter system would happen quite naturally. We are only about 30 minutes by bike from town (if we ever needed to go there). We have masses of books. We would do more than just survive, we would thrive. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Oh yes! @SuePJ To all of that, I’ve downloaded an eBook from an excellent YouTube and e-power guy, to ATTEMPT to understand solar power better, It looks easy enough, I’ve got two defunct but fully working ex bike (lead) batteries, and plan a) is to connect one or both to a cheapish solar panel…if only for LED light and internet/tablet use… All you write about you, is similar for me, but chickens break your heart, can’t do chickens.
The beastly thing is, as city dwellers keep pointing out to me, I mean big cities, is that millions of people will realise their best chance, like yours and mine, is to make the break from city life altogether, maybe at some awful last moment! So it won’t be just food/shelter/power that becomes necessary, but defences against maybe gangs of desperate people, no food …no knowledge about how to survive, when The Systems/structures break down.
"Soylent Green " was about that kind of scenario. But I don’t live in the dreams of Hollywood!!
. Ideally, I’d like to PREPARE! So that the millions of people especially little kids, yikes, think of it…who feel desperate, maybe violent, can all be managed and taken care of by us country adjusted types. No problems. I can dream that stuff. I watch a few refugee action groups, online, the desperate kind that have arrived with nothing, to see what happens.
The more desperate people are, the more resourceful they may become, with a bit of help. Just read about one guy, in France for only a little while, learning French, making all kinds of things with a donated sewing machine… I’d like to work maybe with a group who fix things like that, perhaps. For NOW!! I’m thrilled to bits with my 10 minute rocket stove, gradually learning to do without any electricity for cooking, at all. That probably sounds very feeble! But I’ve never been any kind of very-clever at fixing things, person. Just moderately so.
Being ancient, too, doesn’t help! Although its all proving to be a lot easier than I dreamed possible. Must do a big write up on my microeconomics fb page…:grin:

3 Likes

My over-riding concern would be security, because people from the cities with no access to fresh food and perhaps to essential services, as they gradually disintegrate, would migrate to the countryside searching for resources to set themselves up for survival too.

The forces of law and order would as usual serve the purposes of the moneyed elite who pay their wages. ‘Peasant uprisings’ in the rurality would be left to burn themselves out, literally if need be.

Pipe dreams of rural self-sufficiency in a survivalist society are just that. Who is going to set 24 hour watch over half an acre of cabbage and another of turnips?

4 Likes

“Survivalism” is a fast growing trend. Its not to be feared or viewed with overt suspicion, I think!
‘We’ are already in a survivalist-aware, ‘prepper’ society, right now.
In USA it has, long, had a right wing, white supremacy, macho image, blokes carrying automatic weapons etc. But that is changing. There is a vast prepper/survivalist French movement.
I can very easily imagine Europe, leaderless, and with many power resources gone, becoming instead a territory of tough, self sufficient communities. You imagine it will be like the Fall of Rome? Can’t be sure, but I dont think so! The hoards of Barbarians might come still, but I don’t imagined them armed to the teeth and ready to claim our turnip patches. Certainly there will be desperate, panic stricken, people, that’s why its good to discuss all aspects of possible disasters. Some of the top pop TV programmes are about survival for everyone. Its a family entertainment, a sport, and it is growing fast. As more people become aware of the collection of threats to health and safety, from WW3 to asteroid collision to pollution to climate deterioration. etc. More and more people become involved in Prepping life styles.
Climate refugees may present the most difficult challenge, whole regions becoming uninhabitable and millions of displaced people. Can the “few” hang on much longer to the control that presently comes from wealth? When individuals and groups are self sufficient, they become almost impossible to control.

3 Likes

I had some good books written as part of the concerns about nuclear war, and in the early 80s I tried self sufficiency, but without other people it is almost impossible - we used to grow our own veg and fruit, gathered firewood, bartered for grain and milled our own flour… often with very unpredictable results, wormy apples, blown cabbages, pulling frozen leeks in winter and the “hungry gap” when nothing is quite ready but the stored food is almost at an end. Whilst I prefer to rely as little as possible on buying things, I am turning into the type of woman who makes as much as possible and wears mended clothes but even now my chickens are sitting pretty - being fed but not producing.

3 Likes

Yep, I’ve got chickens like that…
but, I have another 10 little feathered b@stards, of a couple of weeks, running behind their mum, awaiting the moment they become “dinner”

1 Like

Can I come to live with you :wink:

I may have mentioned this already, but I found J. Seymour’s “Fat of the Land” to be the best book when preparing for a self-sufficient lifestyle.
Not so much a “how-to”, but more of a “we-tried-this-&-fucked-it-up-so-we-tried-something-else” type of book.
I try to live by his principles, as much as possible.

3 Likes

I ask myself, would I want to live in a world like this?

2 Likes

oh yes , the John Seymour books - I still have the Guide to Self Sufficiency and I had The Fat of the Land and another, Bring me my Bow.
Another book I love is “I bought a mountain” by Thomas Firbank - a story of taking on a Welsh sheep farm.

As for the chickens - well they look like they should start laying again soon, if not they will be cosseted till they die - couldnt eat them though Ive not eaten meat since 1982 (and they would be tough).

1 Like

Quite so, you have my sympathy.

I’m very unlikely to live much longer, at the very most perhaps 10 years, so I may escape the worst.

Of the six children four have never married and have no children. They are prescient.
There is one teenage granddaughter.

They will support each other one way or another. I don’t worry about their future, it’s pointless. But they are all thrifty, frugal and resilient. All have experience of life in Africa and have relatives there.

2 Likes

I’ve often looked at prepper websites…there are even ready made kits/survival bags that can be bought…many of them with everything needed to survive 72 hours by which time presumably power and services would hopefully be restored…???

There are certain items I would maybe think about adding…water purification tablets…and I’m interested in having an alternative method of power should there be no electricity for any length of time…

I’m thinking I should maybe take a break from thinking about it…yesterday the water to my kitchen went off so I have no hot water…and today a fuse blew so tonight I’m relying on one light and a couple of sockets (and giffgaff…!)

If consciousness is capable of creating reality then perhaps I bought it on my self…:grinning:

2 Likes

If it does ever get that bad ( sure it will at some stage but not in my lifetime), get a lot of very big guns for protection, because someone will want what you’ve got

4 Likes

I’ve never handled a gun in my life…! (note to self…think about acquiring a crossbow and taking archery lessons …and stock up on sedative darts…!)

I sometimes run it through in my head what I would do if faced with a sudden cataclysmic event…I think my overwhelming feeling would be to drive home to uk to be with my mom and my family…of course that would necessitate ports remaining open and driving a left hand drive on the other side with two Collies in the back…!

Sometimes I ponder unexplained traces of ancient civilisations and wonder what happened and sometimes I rewrite yesterday…”yesterday I knocked on my mom’s front door and gave her a hug…” “yesterday Brexit was cancelled and article 50 revioked”…”yesterday I won the lottery…” :slightly_smiling_face: etc…

Sometimes it’s enough just to go for a walk with my Collies and enjoy every moment and ponder why the word silent is the same as the word listen…

2 Likes

Sti ton eth esma ti stuj snotica het seam tertels!

4 Likes

@Peter_Goble
snotica? sues yursel!

3 Likes

Should contain an extra “N” there Peter. “Snotican” works ! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

@Anglozone, @vero

Rorsy. Lewl tedstop.

Mi noly munah! :frowning:

3 Likes

Survival Nexting…

Isn’t it true, to say that you already live in a world like this? That you haven’t yet felt obliged to trade in your super SUV for a pushbike, (OK no SUV :smiling_face:) doesnt make the world look brighter.
.“An unprecedented 70.8 million people around the world have been forced from home. Among them are nearly 25.9 million refugees over half of whom are under the age of 18”. Many have already died on their way to somewhere they might survive, they never got the chance.
“There are also millions of stateless people who have been denied a nationality and access to basic rights such as education, healthcare, employment and freedom of movement”. United Nations stats.
I don’t think it works well for everyone to trash a ‘comfortable, materialist life’ to live in the wilds, but rediscovering aspects of independent living, doesn’t have to be done all at once.

1 Like