Swapping licence for a French one

It’s so interesting how different departments took different approaches. Like @DrMarkH we finished up with two fat dossiers of paperwork that Lot-et-Garonne demanded of us. Everything including inside leg measurements. :grin: We felt like we were heading for an exam aural. In the end the interview itself was great - for every question we had the right paper.
I remember posting on here, asking questions - “what does this mean?” “what does that require?” and people on here not believing any of it was necessary. It was.

2 Likes

My photo card had expired.

1 Like

I have now been asked to send off my UK driving licence photo card so hopefully making progress.

I started the application process on 4th September.

My UK driving licence photo card expired on 25 Jan 2022.

Hopefully French replacement will arrive soon.

It is now just over 6 months since my original application.

1 Like

Beats even the old DVLA as they were before, for how long this is taking. And DVLA was truly awful.

“I sent it to Swansea” was always a get-out if Plod stopped you and you were supposed to have your driving licence on you and didn’t.

When I was asked to send off the UK photocard, I was emailed an attestation authorising me to drive in france while waiting for the licence. Have they done that for you, @Mat_Davies .
By the way, if I remember rightly, the new licence took about 2 weeks from that point.

The UK DVLC is currently advising people of a minimum 3 month delay - but in fact the UK press is full of cases of waits of a year or more.
See the thread…

Yes, I have that.

2 Likes

That’s brilliant! I think it covers you for a couple of months so fingers crossed that should be plenty of time…

The lesson to learn is that the moment your UK licence is within 6 months of expiring get your application done.

(I thought I had done this but it would appear I can’t count! I applied with just 4 & half months which I thought was 5 & half - as unable to count perhaps I shouldn’t be allowed to drive!)

2 Likes

I think you were very lucky with your timing tbh Mark, I applied January of 2018. No word for 14 months followed by a rejection letter as I didn’t need to change it. So a very short difference in time leading to a totally different outcome.

It seems that some people may be concerned that if the 10 year expiry date has passed their right to drive goes with it.
This is not the case. Although this article came out in 2013 the facts still apply - https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/blog/entry/legislation-expired-photos-do-not-invalidate-driving-licences/46025/

I think you were very lucky with your timing tbh Mar

Sorry, if that’s the right word (and it probably is) ? My UK driving licence’s date of expiration(?) was initially unbeknown to me - Did I really use that word just now? Sounds like something from The Lord of the Rings! but my UK licence had already run-out so was very relieved to get a FR licence. But the simplicity of the processs mayhave been because my licence had already expired and it was early in the game. By contrast OH’s change took fifteen months.

Your reference to how the DVLA view this is (sort of) in line with how the UK government’s “Living in France” guide views it except that, as usual, there is a certain amount of ambiguity.

According to @Kim 's Gude to exchanging a UK licence for a French one, you can apply to change it 6 months before the 4b date - i.e. if different from the 70th birthday, which is the column 11 date on the back of the licence, you can can apply to change it then. Whatever DVLA think, it seems to be a requirement in France that your photocard is in date? In the case of my partner, 4b is 5 years earlier than column 11, so unless Kim tells me I have got this completely wrong, we’ll be using that date.

You are right about the date for updating your licence but what this is saying is that if this date is exceeded you do not lose your right to drive. That & the validity of your photo are mutually exclusive. If any penalty was applied it would be for having an out-of-date photo, not driving without a licence.

Yes indeed. I was somewhat concerned that perhaps people would read about the right to drive not having expired and assume that they didn’t have to apply for a replacement! I understand you can be fined in France for an expired photocard?

Hi Angela, 4b is your photo and some medicals are linked to that date on a UK licence.

Your licence is column 11 or up to 70 with the original GB paper licence, all the time these are valid you have a valid licence, however, it is still a fineable offence in both the UK and France to have an expired card.

You can drive in France with an expired card as long as you have an application to exchange in the system without the risk of being fined. It is and has always been an obligation to exchange your licence if the card or licence has expired, or you received any point withdrawal if you live here.

You can also drive in the UK with an expired card but the fine is/can be quite hefty and you must argue with the official that you no longer live in the UK.

Hope that clarifies.

4 Likes

That is beautifully clear, @kim - thank you!

1 Like

7 months after my application my licence has arrived in the post this morning.

So from now on need to slow down and get no more speeding fines as the points now count!

6 Likes

Not in the UK they don’t :wink: Your fun only starts on your next trip :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

So glad it’s arrived… you must be so relieved… !!!