Sweet potatoes

Always on the lookout, now well into our 99% veggie era, for different vegetables to eat I have tried several for the first time and others, like turnips and Swede not seen since school, as new awakenings.
So it was that yesterday I bought a sweet potato and read up all about the different ways to cook it and in the end plumped for the quickest and simplest, in the micro.

It took a little longer than promised 10 to 15 minutes instead of 5 but, mixed with a much reduced melange of steamed veg, it was delicious. Even Fran, who actually said she didn’t like it, then ate all but one tiny piece left over, but that is quite normal for her. I made a pepper sauce to pour over it (2 minutes in the micro) too, doing a lot of that lately too so extra supplies bought in.

Only problem is it is too big for the 2 of us, I am hoping that the next one can be chopped in half with one half left in the fridge for another day.

5 Likes

You can also grate them and eat raw!

And turn them into chips and crisps!

2 Likes

They’re very nice cubed and cooked with oil in the air fryer. Obviously the oil would provide useful extra calories for Fran.

Our air fryer has a paddle thing which turns the cubes.

They’re allowed on my Six Pack Revolution diet so I’ve been eating them a lot recently. Either sliced like French fries or bunged in the oven like a fake jacket potato. I mostly prefer them as jacket potatoes and instead of butter I put Greek yogurt and lots of black pepper (butter and salt are both off limits).

Try them with hummus replacing the butter. I know it sounds unlikely but it’s an excellent pairing.

2 Likes

Oh, and something else I’ve been eating lots of on this diet which I never would have thought I’d like is courgetti which, as its name suggests, is simply courgette sliced very thinly so it resembles spaghetti. It’s not overly cooked so it stays a bit crunchy but it’s a great way to bump up my five-a-day count.

2 Likes

Cheers, will give it a try :+1:

Well alot of good ideas there but I think my favourite would be, because I do now and then buy a large spud for the oven, jacket style it. It was just that with this first one yesterday I did not have a lot of time before eating. Also, as I saw online, cubing and cooking in olive oil.

All will be tried because I definitely will buy again next week. My problem, if problem it is, is restricting myself from using all the veg at my disposal and even with small amounts of each that does mean a great big panful.

HI.
Have you considered sweet potato soup? At the Maison de Retraite where I reside we have S W P soup every 10 days its delicious especially with a a swirl of Normandy cream. and soup freezes so no waste. Also delicious is sweet potato and carrot mash.
Enjoy I do.

3 Likes

I haven’t but it sounds a good idea but is it thickened or perhaps doesn’t need it?

I have tried to cut down on fried veg even though I use lovely olive oil but get a bit over enthusiastic with the oil and so I am concentrating more on steaming (and have a new 3 tier steamer arriving on Thursday) but do need added liquid content. So, as soups are thin and need thickening with flour, I am using the sauces which can me microwaved, but there isn’t a great variety. Tonight for instance I am adding half a tin of baked beans to the veg but what you suggest does sound good.

Next week perhaps. :wink:

I use potatoe starch to thicken up soups and gravy, it might be worth you trying.

1 Like

I will ask the cook for the recipe when I see him This soup is not thin,I would say it is good and wholesome I do not detect flour or thickeners. I will do my best for you.

It thickens quite nicely. Rather than adding flour, which I would never do to a soup, you just add a potato and that thickens it naturally. I adore butternut soup but always add a potato to get it thick (hate thin soup :rofl: )

1 Like

This is the recipe I use, David. and (we think) it’s delicious:

I don’t use the coriander or milk, and I use ginger paste.

I add little enough water to make it too gloopy to eat but of a good consistency for the stick blender (the lentils help), then I add more water to bring it to an appropriate consistency.

1 Like

Beans are also a great way to thicken a soup and increase its nutritional value (when compared to thickening with flour).

3 Likes

Wow, lots of good ideas there and thanks to all of you. I will be trying all you all suggest. There are still some vegs that I have seen that I havent tried yet, one is a squash I think, so that might serve the same purpose.

Cooking is a necessary chore for me, not a pleasant pastime so complicated recipes I have seen on tv and elsewhere are not attractive to me.

I like grow a lot of sweet potatoes and prefer mine mashed with a bit of butter, or just chipped and done in the oven.
I’m not keen on olive oil or garlic so like things plain.

A[quote=“Gareth, post:7, topic:42672”]
I never would have thought I’d like is courgetti
[/quote]
lot easier with a spiraiiser.

2 Likes

And even easier with a mandolin!

1 Like