Tasty Snacks/nibbles

We never buy snacks for ourselves, so I am quite overwhelmed by the choice when I’m looking at the crisps etc etc aisle and have no idea whatsoever what to buy and which taste good. The only time I buy anything is when we have friends round for a meal and I feel I ought to offer some nibbles to go with an apero. Usually I wimp out and get a Pringles chilli crisps tube and some veg crisps. But there are hundreds of alternatives and I just wondered if I’m missing out on something tasty and interesting.
I’d be grateful for suggestions please. (And no, I won’t be making my own, it’s all I can do to get the main meal ready in an organised and timely fashion!)

1 Like

Not allowed them now but we used to really enjoy serving Bugles with drinks…
Benenuts 3D’s Bugles (cone shaped crisps) available in most supermarkets. Lots of different flavours too :yum:

1 Like

Dry roasted peanuts and Tuc biscuits (plain) are generally on offer around here… sometimes black/green olives… often slices of dried sausage and perhaps little squares of crusty bread with a topping of foie gras…

the danger is to binge on the nibbles and not have enough room for the meal itself :anguished:

These are a favourite in our household

2 Likes

BELIN Biscuits with their cheesy bits get my vote too. Delicious with a glass of wine before the meal.

1 Like

My favourite …these’ll blow your :socks: off!

image You have been warned! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
WP_007517 :yum: :yum:

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I paused in front of the bugles @graham - I must have been channeling you! @Stella I’m with you on the olives, but no foie gras! And these days I’m cautious with peanuts. Interestingly OH has an allergic reaction to cashews. @Dawnt and @Doddles: We were given some Belin snacks called Frenchips (great name!) by some guests and loved them - but haven’t been able to find them recently - shame. @Anglozone: you’re on your own with those!!! I remember many years ago buying sushi from Boots, getting on the train to go to a client meeting and taking a mouthful of the green paste which I hadn’t come across before!!! Needless to say my reaction caused great amusement among the other passengers.

3 Likes

Yep, anything Belin :slight_smile: for us; olives; slices of saucisson. Also those Japanese mixtures.

I used to buy wasabi pea’s from grand fais, but have not seen them in recent years :hushed:
A mix from the fruit and nut section especially the coconut cube’s :yum:

1 Like

Wasabi coated peanuts are easy to find still, but “peas” is a new one on me. Were they dried, like the milder ones found in Bombay mix?
Another great snack @SuePJ

Yes they are dried and milder than than the peanuts. A quick search show that Monoprix sell them.

1 Like

I might give them a go, I love anything hot and spicy. :curry:
Thanx Lily :smiley:

1 Like

Olives, carrot sticks (or plain nachos if you have to) and hummus and tapenade. Packet of Bruschetta or crostini and sun dried tomato, aubergine, or artichoke dips (from a jar). Also like wasabi peas and spiced chick peas.

Personally I don’t buy any of the crisp type things as the salt content is horrific and makes people drink more.

We have different snacks depending on the season, summer is olives, charcuterie and dipping stuff whereas winter will be crispy things and nuts. OH also makes cheese straws and large croutons with leftover baguette which are soaked in olive oil and then baked.

2 Likes

Salt in your diet - NHS Adults should eat no more than 6g of salt a day (2.4g sodium) – that’s around 1 teaspoon.

The crisps shown have a salt content of 0.34g per 30g portion.

As I never have salt on the table or add it to my food ( I prefer black pepper and herbs.) I believe this small indulgence is allowed. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

These are very cheesy and yummy with an apéro

aaa

You can’t beat a good dip…I love dipping, sliced length-ways carrots and cucumber are best.
Talking of dipping, when I was expecting, I loved dipping the McDo fries in the chocolate milkshake, no coal or pickles for me, but I have always liked their gherkins pregnant or not. :pregnant_woman:t3:

1 Like

Wife makes her own dips usually using a creme fraiche base.

+1 for olives.
Cocktails sticks with things like cubes of cheese or charcuterie or moules. Stuffed palm hearts are nice on cocktail sticks too if you can be bothered.
Dips.
Apéro crackers with fish, tapenade, fake caviar etc.
Stuffed vine leaves but you need to be careful because sometimes the cheaper ones taste vinegary.
Pistachio nuts

I aim to put out 3 or 4 different things so that if people don’t fancy one thing they still have a choice.

You can easily hard boil quails eggs and put out a dish of celery salt.
Getting the shells off keeps your guests amused for some time.

1 Like